Herping tips please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roobars

Reaction score
Hullo!

I have randomly come to stay at rubyvale on a whim to do some fossicking and the first thing I see on the footpth when I get out of the car is a fresh corpse of an adult stimi.

Ithink I will go for a wander around when it gets dark to see what I can see. Can I have ssome tips and what do I need? Thnx :)

a torch :p and id probably wear jeans and boots just incase

i'd suggest a snake bite kit just incase... your chances of needing it are really slim but better save then sorry. i highly suggest if you get time come a bit further north and go visit the Blackdown Table lands, east of blackwater by about 40Km's i stopped in there on my way back on Sunday night squashed a toad and moved a cute little carpentaria snake off the road :) i've found many differnt types of frogs and also some prickly knob tailed geko's on the rare chance.

if you get time... you will rarely be disapointed :)

i'd suggest a snake bite kit just incase... your chances of needing it are really slim but better save then sorry. i highly suggest if you get time come a bit further north and go visit the Blackdown Table lands, east of blackwater by about 40Km's i stopped in there on my way back on Sunday night squashed a toad and moved a cute little carpentaria snake off the road :) i've found many differnt types of frogs and also some prickly knob tailed geko's on the rare chance.

if you get time... you will rarely be disapointed :)

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, turns out table lands is south not north from rubyvale DOH!

Thnx guys,

I have been to table lands and didn't see a thing, was not lookin though and was pretty drunk :p

I would spend a night in the local hotel, talking to the locals and getting some local knowledge.
A lot of it will be rubbish but if youre chatty, youll get some priceless information.
As for what you need to take, mobile phone and a camera.
Insect repellant and a crowbar...but dont wreck any habitat as you search. leave only footprints

keep looking around :)
hopefully you find some cool stuff

Last edited:
A bit of early evening night driving while the roads are still warmish can also turn up herps, especially if you have had recent rain - possibly not an issue in your part of the world come to think of it.

I found nothing, but I am now the proud owner of a freaking bright torch so it all end well :D

Hey Roobars.

The best time at this time of year is probably still in the middle of the day. I'm finding Tree Snakes, Keelbacks, Brown Snakes and Red Bellies every time I go now... not so much at night except a few carpet pythons here and there.

Lizards are just starting to come out in bulk too. In a few week or possibly months it will be worth doing night drives.
Rubyvale will be extremely cold at night there and the temperature will drop suddenly when the sun falls.

A good indicator is the road temperature, cloud cover (keeps heat in), humidity and or recent rain which won't start in Rubyvale for awhile (I believe), rain brings out the frogs and insects, which brings out the lizards and snakes.

Also full moons generally are horrible for herping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back