Can I use a chicken egg incubator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the best incubator you can use which is also very cheap, is an old fridge. Spent a little extra on a quality thermostat, they is plenty of room for multiple clutches, very accurate easy to set up, affordable. I have used them for years with great success.

Yep, an old fridge with heat chords or heat mats and a decent thermostat like a pulse proportional habistat, plenty of space in the fridges for multiple clutches.

.personally l believe its almost cruel with the incubating knowledge we have now....solar 17 (baden)

Cruel to make her incubate the eggs? That's pretty damned funny. Probably a good idea to force feed her cause it's cruel to make her swallow her own food as well. Have you ever allowed (note I say allowed, not forced) a snake to incubate her own eggs? I have and they do not lose any condition over the incubation and recover lost weight in 6-8 weeks after the babies hatch.

You can run a "two thermostat" incubator. You have your more accurate stat set at 31.2C or whatever temp you are using and your less accurate one set at 33C or some "safe" temp in case the first one malfunctions.

The biggest problem with the little foam incubators is that they fluctuate temperatures a lot with changes in room temerature. Basically, they have no thermal mass.

I Got a free glass front bar fridge from work this year that i want to use. its good because it has a light in it and all. whats the exact thermostat i want to buy for it(habistat or microclimate)? is it better to get a longer heat cord or is the 7 meter the best?? i might have a squizz in the diy section

I bought a chick incubator with a built in thermo and tried it with the beadies eggsand coastal eggs but found the termo fluctuated too much. It cost over $100.00 so thought it would be fine. I do think the room that it was in also fluctuated too much in temperature - that was probably the problem.
Good lcuk:lol:

If the temp fluctuates by 2 degrees is that enought to kill a clutch of beardies eggs(28-30degrees)

If the temp fluctuates by 2 degrees is that enought to kill a clutch of beardies eggs(28-30degrees)

Probably not, beardy eggs are tough as nails. I once dropped a clutch on the floor when checking on them, picked them up, put them back in the vermiculite and still got 100% hatch rate. But there's always a chance it might, especially if it fluctuates fast.
A sealed tub of water (or more than one) will help maintain a steadier temperature in any incubator.

ok thanks alot i will put some water in. It changes at night then gets warmer in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back