Common Tree Snake Care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaver

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok cts keepers I'm interested in moving up to something a little more advanced than pythons and I want to make sure I understand how to care for common tree snakes properly (specifically a blue phase, not that it makes any difference).

So for an adult I'll need an enclosure approx 4x3x3 with lots branches, vines and leaves to hide in and climb on.

Temps should be around 31c in the hot end to 25c cold end.

I should have a UVB 5.0 globe as well since they're diurnal.

I'll need to feed it fish (avoiding goldfish) 2-3 times a week occasionally supplementing with pinkies if it takes them.

If I've got any of this wrong please correct me.

Now some questions.
Since they are aboreal should I still provide hides (I've noticed some people have an aquarium in the bottom which would make having a hide difficult).

Besides guppies what are a few other types of fish they will eat both for variety and in case I can't get one type of fish.

On feeding what sort of fish/water treatments should I be wary of when purchasing feeder fish from a petshop.

Does anyone know of anywhere reliable off the top of their head where I can by feeder fish from in the newcastle/central coast area.

I don't worry about humidity for my pythons so I'm not familiar with having to deal with it, how humid should it be ie. spray every day, every other day, once a week, only worry about it when sheding, etc.

Whats the best way to deal with heat waves for these sankes, I usually just put frozen water bottles wrapped in paper towel in my enclosures on hot days but that might not work to well for an aboreal snake.

I think that's it, at least all I can think of atm.

1) Yes, hides should definitely be provided. You can easily make hides with plastic tubs with holes cut into the top and then fill the tub with peat moss. This is a similar environment to a rainforest floor where it is damp and humid. Hides like this can also assist in shedding.

2) Most feeder fish will do. Any inexpensive species can be fed however chose healthy fish which appear to have no parasites or wounds.

3) Most feeder fish don't require any specific temperatures or conditions so don't worry about that. As long as the fish is healthy everything should be fine.

4) Spray three-four times a week and provide a humid hide (optional but recommended).

5) As long as you provide a large swimming area (plastic tub or container) and a humid hide you shouldn't really need to worry. However if things heat up considerably use your method however it may be worth putting the snake in a tub and moving it to a cooler section of your house.

I myself don't keep CTS (although I would like to) so it would be worth talking to some experienced CTS keepers however I hope I've helped.

I was tossing around the idea of the bottom of the enclosure being filled with water but maybe I should just have a large container and a humid hide.

Thanks.

31 basking spot is too hot. try for 28.
4x2x2 (height x length x width) is sufficient in size.

Despite being slightly amphibious I would recommend use a large plastic tub (maybe 40x50x10-20cm) and fill that with water and place that in the setup. Then at the other end use a substrate mix of coco fibre and peat moss (up to you, I personally use this for almost all my animals as I find it simulates their natural environments and is more natural then stuff like repti-bark) with leaf litter on top. Also chuck some live plants in; baby panda bamboo, parlour palms, various fern species work well and will provide climbing material a change in texture. Just remember to provide as many different levels and surface textures as possible, this stimulates the animal and provides a more natural setup.

We have a few CTS atm and what ScottyHerps has said is great advice for a new CTS keeper. A separate water container for the fish to drinking water though will be more beneficial for the snake and if you’re planning on getting a hatchy then make sure the container with the fish is quite small, they can have trouble catching the fish if it’s too big. Basking spot should be no higher than 29 in an enclosure of the size you mentioned, as they don't deal well with high temps.

Oh and too much humidity will be disastrous for your snake, a large enough water bowl and coco substrate will provide enough moisture! Misting may not be necessary at all

Last edited:
Really? I was informed that CTS required slightly higher humidity levels? Does that mean that a humid hide such as the one I suggested would be a bad idea? I'm new to CTS so I'm still learning. Any particular reason why high humidity levels would be disastrous?

I found when ours were kept in a very humid environment they where prone to shedding problems, when we stopped misting the sheds have since been very good. Ours are kept with very large water bowls on the bottom of their enclosures with a smaller fish bowl roughly 30cms away from that. NicG and Dottyback are defiantly the people to talk to though as I would never call myself an expert

Also the humid hide may not be the best idea as a damp, dark enclosed space for them can cause skin issues, mine all love their various hides and only come out in the early morning and late afternoon, prolonged exposure to those conditions may not end well

Last edited:
cts like lower temps than most other qld snakes, they certianly dont like the heat, and that is one reason why we proble get so many callouts to common tree snakes inside houses, there looking for the cool, and when you consider here in bribane it does not get all that hot compared to northen vic and centeral nsw. What ever substrate you use make sure that is easily cleaned as tree snakes crap more than they eat, and every second or third day. I use a finer coco peat as is is easier to clean, I also find holow cardboard rolls (thick ones) great to use as hides, one either end so they can self regulate temps. When buying feeder fish always ask the store if that tank has had any chemicals added to it. cts can be quite finicky untill established, but once they are there more of a pleasure to watch than any python imo.
Graeme

Alright, thanks Dash. I'll keep your advice in mind if I ever decide to get one.

Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy weekend.

Thanks for the advice guys I think I understand how to set one better now.

So I'll use coco substrate, get a nice large water bowl and a smaller separate one for for the fish, and also get a few hides.

Now I just need to go on a hunt for a good source of feeder fish. I've found a few places that take good care of their fish so I'll have to go suss them out.

Thanks again.

I know nothing about common tree snakes so I can't help you there :) But I do know that "Hunter Pets" at Thornton is a FANTASTIC fish and reptile shop. The boys in the fish room know alot about both fish and reptiles, and the girls out the front with the rest of the animals are also super nice. I would recommend going there to get your fish and pinkies, and to talk to them about what types of fish you should be feeding!

(also i hope that I am allowed to talk about shops on here and that it doesn't go against site rules)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back