Sick bhp worried :-S

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get wrapped up in the IBD/OPMV/Sunshine Virus thing - it's extremely unlikely to be anything like that. What you are seeing is a normal reaction of a snake which is a bit stressed, and I'd bet my left one that it will settle down soon enough.

The bleach question... if it was normal bleach (hypochlorite) such as is used in laundries and swimming pools, and in the concentrations suggested for normal use, it will have no harmful effects in the long-term. Chlorine bleaches are highly reactive, and deactivate very quickly on contact with organic substances, so any harmful effects would be almost immediate. The fact that the snake has fed for you since indicates very clearly to me that if has suffered no physical effects from exposure to bleach. I've rescued a number of snakes from swimming pools over the years, and they've all been fine.

The second paragraph of Renenet's post is what you should focus on. A vet will tell you nothing in the absence of any real symptoms, so don't bother with a visit. You've had it back for 3 months, it has fed for you, all will be well as the weather warms up, and if you provide a comfortable environment for it.

Some snakes pace their enclosures sometimes, some don't.

Jamie

Oh for goodness sakes! The snake has been back with him for 3 months. The snake is not looking sick, and is not behaving as if it's sick... get a grip and get to know snakes a bit better before offering such silly advice...

J

wow. I show a bit of sympathy and you say that. You'd do well at funerals.

I got my first little Bhp in April. Will not take food on her own and still to this day needs to be assist fed. She has unusual behaviour and is constantly on the go, upside down and gets herself into the most awkward positions. I think that its a common thing with Bhps as everyone I have spoken to supports this. Also their eating habits, in the wild they feed on reptiles so I am finding it is quite common for them to be difficult feeders and getting them to feed on anything else.

Very new to snakes myself, having only gotten my first back in Oct last year. You may need to assist fed for a while but i think you will find that with some food and getting some of the nutrition back after a few good feeds that you will see your Bhp looking happier and healthier.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
wow. I show a bit of sympathy and you say that. You'd do well at funerals.

My comment was primarily directed at your suggestion that the OP has indicated, in his description of behaviours, that his snake was sick, when there is nothing to the suggest that this is the case. What he has described in later posts indicates behaviours which are not abnormal at all under some circumstances, so to suggest he rush the animal off to a vet asap is simply unwarranted on the evidence provided here.

After 3 months, the bleach thing is a total non-issue.

Jamie

Thanks for the help guys. Guess I was only worried cause' the other two I've had since day one and they've never been problem feeders or showing any of the behaviour I described with the male MD.

T404, my bet would be that the 6 weeks exposure to lower temps has affected behaviour because of the animal's sensitivity to seasonal changes. The weather is now warming up, feeding will commence very soon (all the things we raise and manage in captivity, and feed through the winter, are being supported in a very unnatural way), and I bet your critter will swing back into action very soon.

Jamie

It'll be fine... pacing cages can be more stressful for the owner than the critter sometimes I think. leave it for 2-3 weeks and then try a feed and I'm sure it will all calm down...

J

It'll be fine... pacing cages can be more stressful for the owner than the critter sometimes I think. leave it for 2-3 weeks and then try a feed and I'm sure it will all calm down...

J

Is the snake just pacing though? This has still not been clarified as the orignal post said it was acting abnormally and does not seem to know what is going on around it?

I do agree though, only thing you can do is raise the temps in the tank and wait. Give the animal some time to adjust and dont attempt to feed it yet. If it's weight is of concern - weigh it weekly and make sure it doesnt lose to much but rest assured that snakes can go a long time between feeds, especially at this time of year, without it causing any problems for them.

"Is the snake just pacing though? This has still not been clarified as the orignal post said it was acting abnormally and does not seem to know what is going on around it?"

I don't know where you got that idea from T404's later posts - the pacing is very clearly described, and I've seen it many times over the years myself. If I thought there was any need for concern, I'd indicate it immediately.

I'm off to bed T404, don't get stressed by the panic merchants - most of them have little experience and very little knowledge of what makes reptiles tick. You have a snake which is behaving unlike your others because it has been subjected to influences that the others have not - namely the 6 week exposure to lower temps, which is bound to change its behaviour in the short term.

If it's tongue-flicking and otherwise alert, you don't have a problem. G'nite :)!

Jamie

Lol just ignore the below post Jamie...realised from the other post you were only on the white tonight and nowhere near your normal form :p

Now i just got home from work and noticed that she is looking very unwell she is doing twirly things like upside down and almost looks like she has no sense of direction.

Not being a panic merchant, this was what I was asking about....thats not necessarily pacing. I was only asking to make sure that is definitely what is was.

No need to be rude about it, gee I wonder why people have problems getting help on this forum these days?

Oh and by the way....have kept reptiles for many years and have bhps so do have a decent history and exp to draw on....as I said no need to be rude.

Mate goodluck with your snake, I hope things work out well for you.

Last edited:
I just watched that video on Youtube. Not worried at all now. (Although when I first got it back it was pretty weak and shaking it's head side to side and 'falling over' so to speak. But I think getting it back in the right environment and having a number of feeds has done it wonders.) My Python can pull itself back up over it's body like normal... Not that I can say that for the one on Youtube, poor thing.

Offering my 2c, although I admit, I have only kept BHPs for 8 months and have no to little experience with them. My 3 are all showing the same symptoms in regards to head movement and "pacing" and to be honest, my concern grew when my male stopped eating for 3 months.

A bit of reading and covering his enclosure with a towel brought him round in 6 weeks. That's not saying all BHPs will react to this method, but it may be a start. My females don't have an issue and still act "funny" until offered food. I swear, I could feed them until they popped, whereas with the male, he showed the exact same behavior but refused food until I "separated" him with little contact. Now he wont refuse anything and often pretends my hand can "pretend" to be food.

As a lover of all animals, here's hoping your snake pulls through mate. Nothing worse than watching anyone/anything you cherish in pain or agony. in saying that, I whole heartedly agree with the other members who advise to separate and follow a rigorous hygiene routine before approaching/handling your other snakes.

I think people are confusing the original poster Dukz13 with Tobe who asked another question. 2 different people with 2 different snakes.

I have a Murray Darling that I got off a couple of mates (I got two from the same breeder and my mates payed me money for one of them) that is showing similar symptoms but I thought he was getting better. He was eating and shed twice. He used to be snappy and aggressive but calmed down once I got some food into him. So I'm just not sure. He's been off his food since 8/8. I usually just lay the food item close to or on top of him and that has always worked

He has never struck his prey (soemtimes coiled), even when I had him (before my mates payed me for him) and he took a Pinky Rat.

I might try the powerade thing and see what happens (I have powerade 'powder' that you mix with water). Would this be okay?

Goodluck with your BHP Dukz.

Tobe if your having issues with one of your pythons it would help if you made your own thread rather than use someone else's .... by doing this the OP might not get the help they are looking for ....

Dukz13 how is your BHP going?
Your query kinda got lost there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back