Barefoot in the bush?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMyers

Reaction score
I just watched part of a documentary where the presenter was traipsing around the African bush barefoot. Now historically, she isn't the only one to have done this - there have been several presenters in the past that have portrayed the same image. But I have to ask the question; What kind of half-baked twat walks through the bush barefoot? What kind of message does this portray to those with little knowledge of the hidden dangers of the bush? What is even more mind-boggling is the fact that the presenter in question here was bitten and nearly died from a carpet viper bite when she was a child, so she should know full well the danger involved, and should be sending a more responsible message. I realise that those indigenous to many countries have never bothered with footwear, but why tempt fate if you don't have to?

Am I alone in believing that the message this sends to viewers is irresponsible, or am I over-reacting? I don't think anyone is going to change my mind on the issue, but that's not the point of this post. I am simply interested in the opinions of others on this topic.

my mate walks through the bush barefoot on his property , absolute stupidity imo

Once your feet get used to it, it's the best way to go. Did it for 20 years in the Top End and never had anything happen.

Subcontiously you watch better where you place your feet, you feel the ground, your toes give you grip and you improve balance.

Problems arise in "disturbed bush" where you have lots of invasive weeds with thorns.

You are over reacting.
I rarely wore shoes when I lives in Cairns (in the rainforest).

When I grew up everyone was barefoot. 0.o We even ate our own mud pies.

No one would eat my mud pies even after I baked 'em in Mums oven :)

I never wore shoes either and it was hell going back to school after the holidays (new leather clod hoppers)

my mate walks through the bush barefoot on his property , absolute stupidity imo

Agreed. Too many nasties that have a greater chance of missing you if clad with a layer, however thin, of boot leather.

I rarely wore shoes when I lives in Cairns (in the rainforest).

When I grew up everyone was barefoot.

I never wore shoes either and it was hell going back to school after the holidays (new leather clod hoppers)

I can see your point here. I too used to walk barefoot as a kid - even through vacant land, from the home to the beach etc... but as I mentioned above, I just think that it would be far safer to don a good pair of sturdy hiking boots. I've heard plenty of stories of people whose boots have been tagged while walking through the bush, that would otherwise have resulted in an actual bite. Too risky in my opinion, and media role-models in particular should be all about portraying safety in the bush. But then, with all the extreme whatever sporting shows these days, I guess a few people acting as venom bait would hardly have an effect :p

Subcontiously you watch better where you place your feet, you feel the ground, your toes give you grip and you improve balance.

This would be true. I was going to mention that boots would protect you from rolling your ankle, but with better balance and grip (dunno about better "grip", per se) you wouldn't need protection from this.

Last edited:
there is a diffrence to walking around bare foot in areas that are relatively safe like through a few vacant blocks in long grass down to the beach and walking around barefoot like my mate on a property that you regularly see eastern browns and RBB on , that is where it becomes a bit stupid imo , i go barefoot alot of the time but i do it where the chances of running into something dangerous are minimal

Put me down as most of the time bare footed as well.

I guess my question is geared more toward promotion of responsible actions, rather than what we personally do. Let me rephrase my original long-winded, rant-driven post into one simple question; If you were a television presenter responsible for the promotion of the physical enjoyment of the natural environment, would you - as part of your presentation - allow yourself to be seen walking barefoot in country that could pose any number of hidden hazards because, as far as one could tell, it either feels good or is bound to get the extreme vote, or would you rather promote the wearing of sensible footwear when traversing such environments?

Ok, so maybe that wasn't exactly a simple question...

I was always barefoot as a kid, granted my matea and i had a few close encounters, and the double g's did reek havoc but i dont think thata possible around alot of places these days.
To each to their own i gueas

Ignoring the 50,000 years the locals have been doing it , most people get bitten on the leg . Stepping on a snake [ that you cant feel because of boots ] makes the bitey end whip up and hit your leg . Have you ever walked barefoot and not looked where your foot was going to land ?

If i walked barefoot in the bush i'd be more worried about stepping on some crap someone has dumped than the animals harming me lol.

If i walked barefoot in the bush i'd be more worried about stepping on some crap someone has dumped than the animals harming me lol.

yep...thats the biggest danger by far... broken glass, nails sticking up etc.

since destroying my back in a truck accident its thongs or bare feet everywhere as getting shoes or boots on is a bit difficult by myself, we are on a few acres hear and the browns and rbb are quite common, im just a little more aware of where im stepping and (touch wood) havnt had a issue as yet.
but i guess walking around africa in bare feet is a little diffent, like the free handling of deadly reptiles in front of kids (even though they have been cruely dismemberd to remove there venom glands and fangs) it just teaches people the wrong thing about reptiles.

there is a diffrence to walking around bare foot in areas that are relatively safe like through a few vacant blocks in long grass down to the beach and walking around barefoot like my mate on a property that you regularly see eastern browns and RBB on , that is where it becomes a bit stupid imo , i go barefoot alot of the time but i do it where the chances of running into something dangerous are minimal

Check out some of Robbie Bredl's you tube vids.

I used to go barefoot (or sandals) in the bush but the two times I got hit by death adders were those rare occasions I had boots on. Lucky me.
I spent 6 months at Kalkaringi and the prolific and extremely spikey spinifix meant I had to put the boots on. And they've stayed on. I'm always telling the Rangers they must wear boots (OH&S) so it would be pretty hypocritical for me to turn up in thongs.

When I was about 12 we were stripping the copper wire out of old cars at the dump to make a few dollars. In thongs. A 4" rusty nail went straight through my thong and my heel. While I was hopping around holding my right foot my left foot landed on the same bloody nail! What a clown! Didn't get much sympathy either. Ha ha.

I guess my question is geared more toward promotion of responsible actions, rather than what we personally do. Let me rephrase my original long-winded, rant-driven post into one simple question; If you were a television presenter responsible for the promotion of the physical enjoyment of the natural environment, would you - as part of your presentation - allow yourself to be seen walking barefoot in country that could pose any number of hidden hazards because, as far as one could tell, it either feels good or is bound to get the extreme vote, or would you rather promote the wearing of sensible footwear when traversing such environments?

Ok, so maybe that wasn't exactly a simple question...

haha nice back peddle,I don't see the issue,people need to take responsibility for their own actions.In the case of kids doing the monkey see monkey do thing, then their parents need to educate their children a bit better.
As has been mentioned already check out Rob Bredl - The Barefoot Bushman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back