some of our Phasmids ( sticks)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks sarah , its a childrens , the colour goes from bright green to a very pale almost white depending where it is
The brown stick turned up on my sons pants one night on his way home so we are not positive on that one

those brown ones have great camouflage they really do look like sticks

I love sticks. I had some spineys but micro ants killed them.:cry:

Driving at night on a track between the North and Central Arnhem roads recently a giant stick flew across my bonnet. It was massive (and solid). I thought it was bird at first. The Darwin sticks get 12-14" but this was bigger again. I pulled up but I couldn't find it (in the dark). I hope to get some shots next time I'm there because there hasn't been a lot of work done on the insects here, especially mantids and sticks.

Nice lil collection you have there btbn :D I miss mine a lot, I used to keep goliaths, spinys and pink wingeds. Such gorgeous fascinating critters.

Have you had your sticks from eggs?
My missus has a collection of a couple hundred eggs for nearly 2 years now & we have no idea whether they'll ever hatch or not.

Sometimes one or two eggs will hatch, giving us hope & reason to hang onto them...

Have you had your sticks from eggs?
My missus has a collection of a couple hundred eggs for nearly 2 years now & we have no idea whether they'll ever hatch or not.

Sometimes one or two eggs will hatch, giving us hope & reason to hang onto them...
im intrigued buy this , whats the go with their incubation , is this normal , can anyone explain

In the wild, Stick insects perched in branches drop their eggs randomly onto the ground. Ants mistaking the eggs for seeds carry them into their tunnels where they hatch & as the new born look like ants, they are able to scramble safely back out to the nearest tree.

Some care sheets say bury the eggs in peat moss (to stimulate underground conditions), others just say leave them alone in an open container. The incubation can be anywhere from 6 to 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back