possibly scale rot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cold-B-Hearts

hey guys iv never had a snake thats gotten sick before and im worried the day has come:(. one of my snakes has a loose scale just below and around his vent. im fairly sure this isnt sperm build up or related to that. is this scale rot? or is it simply something that happens to older snakes now and then. the one particular scale is bendy and can be folded in half. it dosnt seem like he is in any discomfort. please tell me what you guys think? so worried for my dino

Scale rot? - YouTube

hey guys iv never had a snake thats gotten sick before and im worried the day has come:(. one of my snakes has a loose scale just below and around his vent. im fairly sure this isnt sperm build up or related to that. is this scale rot? or is it simply something that happens to older snakes now and then. the one particular scale is bendy and can be folded in half. it dosnt seem like he is in any discomfort. please tell me what you guys think? so worried for my dino

Scale rot? - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

for youse that cant see the video.
im relly worried can anyone give me a heads up.
6D3E7867-4409-4BA5-BCE9-9189D7468225-3657-0000043D4397C82C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell in the photo, but one loose scale is not an indication of anything wrong. Scale rot is caused by them being kept in damp, dirty conditions, or having multiple layers of skin on them due to being unable to shed. Scale rot are rotting scales that have an absess growing, usually internally. The sores on the snake can look like someone has attacked them with a cigarette.

Lifted scales could be just that he as bent them backwards on furniture, or if you have him out on the grass often, check that there isn't a tick there. Other than that, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Good on you, though, for being so observant and cautious with your snake's health and wellbeing. Its observations like this that catch problems in early stages and can often be reversed before they progress.

is it just the picture or is it kinda pink in colour as well

There is some pink there. Looks like you may have caught scale rot in it's early stages. I would just get it onto a clean, warm, dry newspaper substrate. Chances are the scales will clear up after the next shed.

dunno if you watched the vid as well but that kinda helped me know where to look just to the right of the clouca few scales down is the one i believe is lifting and also looks kinda pink in the pic there also appears to be some pink on the tail at the top of the picture but its very fuzzy and some cameras are good at making shades and colours look very different from what it actually is so that could be happening

I should also point out that since the problem may be in its early stages, you may find that it gets worse before it gets better. So the pink patches may become tiny sores after it's next shed, and then start to clear after that. But just as long as you keep it on a clean, warm substrate, it should okay. You could also put some antibiotic ointment on any obvious sores, but I find that snakes are excellent healers without topical ointments.

Im not to sure it has scale rot but just to be safe why don't you give it soak in a betadine solution(1:10) for ten minutes, it wouldn't do any harm to it. And if your really worried you could clean out the enclosure with some F10

Correct the scale is a reddy colour and other scales are turning red at the tips. So I'll him a betadine and water bath. Also should I change is substrate? He's on critter crumble.

do what serpenttounge said , so yes change the substraight to just newspaper or similar until its cleared up , im far from an expert on these thing but from what i do know it looks like its in its early stages so dont freak out just yet but get on top of it

Definitely change substrate preferably to paper towels because they are extra absorbent. I've got a jungle and when it going into a shed its belly turns pinkish almost red so it could just be that man, but if your worried definitely change the substrate.

i changed the substrate about 3 weeks ago. he shed out today and is now looking great. would it be wise to return to kritter crumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back