Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalicious

Reaction score
Gday, over the last few weeks ive heard a number of reports from my neighbors about a python roaming around our street. We live next to dense bush land so we are all used to these visitors. The difference this time is that multiple people on different occasions have witnessed this monster crossing the road with its head on one side and its tail on the other side. I just measured our street this morning and it was 8m across! I know this sounds ridiculous and im struggling to believe it myself but ive known these people for 20 years and have no reason to doubt them. Ill be keeping a very keen eye out for this mystery python and everyone in my street now has my number and instructions to call me any time day or night so i can see this thing for myself, and get some pictures of course haha. Fingers crossed i find it so i can upload pictures for you all to see.

Well im in Brisbane so we only get coastal's around here and the largest confirmed report of a coastal was 4.2m that i know of. Maybe someones Scrubby got out? we have plenty and scrub turkeys, possums and wallaby's around here for it to munch on

i didnt think scrubbies got that big!
i found this on the interweb! dont no how legit is tho!

What is the longest snake ever recorded?
The longest snake ever recorded was a 11.5 meter green anaconda from South America (Oliver 1958 and Gilmore and Murphy 1993). Some biologists dispute this and consider the maximum length to be only 9 to 9.5 meters.
The longest Python?
The longest python on record was a reticulated python that reached a length of 10.1 meters. While it was common to find individuals with lengths up to 8 meters in the wild only a few decades ago, few wild creatures today exceed 5 to 6 meters.
Longest snake in Africa?
The African Rock Python is the longest African snake. One individual reached a length of 9.75 meters.
Longest pet snake?
The most popular 'giant' snake is the Indian Python (Python molurus). The longest pet snake on record reached a length of 5.8 meters. A subspecies of this python is the Burmese Python.
Longest Australian snake?
The longest Australian snake is the Scrub Python (Morelia amethystina) which reached a length of 8.5 meters.

8m sounds pretty extreme, even for a scrubby.

Ill be on the look out now that the weather is warming up and snakes are getting active. But i think my 7' diamond is about as big as i want to mess with at the moment haha

Well im in Brisbane so we only get coastal's around here and the largest confirmed report of a coastal was 4.2m that i know of. Maybe someones Scrubby got out? we have plenty and scrub turkeys, possums and wallaby's around here for it to munch on

Either that or someone's exotic has escaped and has not been retrieved. We have plenty here who claim to see snakes taking up the whole width of the road. I haven't measured our roads but I'd presume they are somewhat narrower than 8m. I'd love to see one for myself. I would not catch him. Just want to keep them off the road.

7' diamond? Your BHPs will get bigger than your diamond.

I don’t know 8msounds extreme, to big for a scrub. If they were right and not over exaggerating I would say it would have to be exotic. Something like an Anaconda, Retic, African rock python or maybe a big Burmese. I was watching this show once and they did a test by putting a floating log about 15 foot I think way out in this lake. They got random people to go and guess how long it was most people answered 17-20 foot. Every one of them over estimated it.

The vast majority of normally rational people turn into drooling morons when they see a snake. I wouldn't read anything into it, expect an average sized coastal. If people can mistake a foot long bobtail for a 6 foot long Dugite they can screw almost anything up :lol:

Either that or someone's exotic has escaped and has not been retrieved. We have plenty here who claim to see snakes taking up the whole width of the road. I haven't measured our roads but I'd presume they are somewhat narrower than 8m. I'd love to see one for myself. I would not catch him. Just want to keep them off the road.

I know she will but she is just a hatchling so I have years before she gets to full size

I know she will but she is just a hatchling so I have years before she gets to full size

- - - Updated - - -

None of them made an estimate on size, they just said the tail was on one side and the head was on the other. I only got 8m because I measured the road where it was seen

You never know. It does sound extreme but this just may be a rare specimen where the snake is actually 8m. They have been recorded to grow that big after all.

l have shown this pic before but he was taken from a private turkey coupe in Asply approx 5-6 years ago now the guy rings up and says he will shoot him if l don't hurry well l live at Boondall approx 15+mins. drive time and before l got there he had eaten this (in his stomach) full grown domestic gobler turkey now l am not saying he is anything like 8m. but there are big ones out there.....solar 17 (baden)
4719051223_2c9f4f7af6_z.jpg

wow baden, how long do you think he was? i love scrubbies. Hope it is a real monster scrubby, keep us updated

I'm just keeping an open mind. Remember that snakes have uninhibited growth so with the right conditions and enough food a snake could grow very old and very large.

I wonder if any studies have been done to see whether excessive growth disorders or gigantism can affect snakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back