Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself (and Starry Boy from yonks ago) rescued a 4 (and a bit) metre scrubbie from a house in Ffreshwater. There's pictures here somewhere but not looking for them now.

It was a very large, heavy and angry snake... We dropped it off near the Copperlode Dam and it was pouring rain (typical Cairns night). On releasing it from its king sized sheet (the bag being a pillowcase was just never going to be big enough - the call I got was to rescue a small(ish) coastal... not a 4m scrubbie!).

Funny thing is - I was nearly going to just go by myself to rescue this snake that had got into the house and decided to rearrange some of the furniture....

Anyway... to cut a long story short... When releasing this 4m scrubbie (yep, didn't measure it, estimated), it went straight back under the car, out of the rain and for a warm spot... We had to drag it from under the car... Well... 4m wasn't easy!!!

Now... 8m... There's something... I'm not convinced and it would be a good idea to show your neighbours a tape measure (8m one preferably) so they can verify this is the size.

If it is an exotic and it is 8m then neighbourhood dogs, cats and parrots would be going missing regularly.

I'm of the notion it's 3m or less - also sizeable, but fits in well with imagination. And to say I've seen at least 2 4m scrubbies (one up close and very personal, the other I nearly tripped over) - I think you'd be hard pushed to find an 8m one in Brisvegas!

EDIT: I found a photo of the scrubbie... But... I think I'd like to revise my 4m down to 3m (or 3.5m max) - see, even me, I like to tell fisherman's tales!

Scrubbie Power!!!
attachment.php

Last edited:
LOL damn. The house owners must have been petrified !

Friend of a friend has actually seen it.Lives with a panther apparently.

No one actually said it was 8 meters, they said it touched both sides of the road, and that measured 8 meters. I know people tend to over estimate but with a reference like the road JD becomes much easier

That looks easy 4m. I love my snakes but that would scare the **** out of me!

That looks easy 4m. I love my snakes but that would scare the **** out of me!

I always told people it was 4m, I didn't really care if it was only 3.5!!!

I know scrubbies can get a couple of metres larger... But in Brisbane? Even if it was a pet escapee, 8m is still hard to fathom. Not saying impossible (incidentally), just saying highly unlikely - regardless of road size and width.

This fellow was stretched out half on the road half off the road when I rescued it.... And this one I would say is no longer than 3.42m (yep... 3.42m)... Sorry, there's no scale to this one - but I rescued it off the Palmerston Highway near Innisfail.

attachment.php

Wow 8m could be exotic!

Could also be something else.... like a tall story.
I can not tell you how many giant python stories Ive heard, and most use the ol one side of the road to the other line to self varify it or to sell it... Over sized snake stories are at the top of the pile of tall reptile stories, every old farmer / bushie has seen the biggest snake/goanna of all time...

I know the dark makes it hard to distinguish things but I'm telling you now. The 8 metre thing going from one side to the other... its the speed hump.

If they have been recorded to reach 8.5m why is everyone in such a rush to say it won't be that big? Happy hunting and make sure you get a pic with something that gives us a size reference... and NO putting a kids size 3 thong next to it and telling us it's a mens size 12!

If they have been recorded to reach 8.5m why is everyone in such a rush to say it won't be that big? Happy hunting and make sure you get a pic with something that gives us a size reference... and NO putting a kids size 3 thong next to it and telling us it's a mens size 12!

Not in a rush to disprove, but I am in a hurry to see proof and evidence!!!

Even the 'recorded' 8.5m scrub... You'd be hard pushed to find one of that length in Brisbane...

Alright well i've started preparing an all out snake hunt this season. I'm a carpenter so I grabbed a heap of old steel sheeting from a demolition job today, I plan on making a heap of hides and I'll place them around the bush and back yards. Maybe scent them with something as well.

I should also mention for the person who brought this up that a number of family pets including dogs and chickens have gone missing from our street

And for the people who are calling this a typical tall story or over estimation. We regularly see coastal carpets over 3m in our area, this snake was the topic of conversation the other night because it was so ridiculously huge compared to anything they had seen.

Last edited:
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, I think most Ozzies need to spend more time in the bush and less time in the burbs, perhaps then more people would realise how uncommon really large Oz pythons (and elapids) are and may be less inclined to over estimate.

Good luck with the hunt, though. In my defence I should point out I'm a born sceptic!

I am more tired than I thought, I thought that said 'born SEPTIC.' :D

I'd just say to not say that it isn't that big until you see it, because if it is that big you are going to feel like an idiot :oops: just sayin' *Puts hands up in surrender*

It's a side effect of living in the real world unfortunately.

I'd just say to not say that it isn't that big until you see it, because if it is that big you are going to feel like an idiot :oops: just sayin' *Puts hands up in surrender*

Will be the first to put my hand up and admit being an idiot when proof of said 8mtr python is offered up.Just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back