Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rep3jenny

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am looking at getting a woma. Just wanted to ask- I have read about how good they are to handle but also how food orientated they are. As they get older are you able to get them out of their enclosures with your hands or do you need to use a snake hook? Obviously I would only be handling it in the day not around feeding time.
Thankyou, Jenny.

We have 2 womas & have never used a hook for either of them. Ours are great handlers, while the girl is much more food orientated when the scent of tucker is around, the boy is a sook, my son actually had him out the other night when I was feeding the other snakes. Definitely set up a routine eg daytime handling / nighttime feeding & you shouldn't have any problems.

and also its best to take them out of their enclosure and feed them in there and that helps alot with the handelling issue

i have a woma, i have never fed him outside his enclosure and he handles perfectly. I have never feed any of my snakes out of there enclosure and they all handle find, except my jungle and he is just nasty anyway...

as long as you keep them well fed, and dont have the scent of food on you, you should be fine....

Same here, we have always fed in their enclosure & never had a problem. What a hassle changing cages & then back again with the possibility of regurgitation from being disturb after feeding.

I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of aspidites, and for the most part, they are great handlers. I say for the most part, because my male BHP (Lucifer) and I pretty much have an enactment of WW3 until I get him out of his enclosure, & then he is fine (mostly).

Though, as with all my snakes, I NEVER get complacent whilst handling, even moreso with aspidites, given their known propensity to just "have a munch".

The whole feeding in a separate tub thing I believe is to appease the handler more than anything. Whenever I open the doors all my snakes will be on alert, but they don't attack me, just seem to be watching intently. Lucifer is the only one who is all like "Come at me bro", but that is just him, it has nothing to do with the fact he thinks it is feed time - He just likes to throw down with me ! :)

The day after I got Lucifer I had him out and he was fine, just having a bit of an explore, then I noticed he was nudging the palm of my hand with his nose, he did this for a couple of seconds and then just opened his mouth and attempted to latch on, though I was quick enough to move my hand away and he just forgot all about it and was calm as ever. Was it a hunger thing ? Well I didn't have any food out, and the feed record from the breeder indicated he certainly wasn't underfed, so I don't know.

My female woma does the nudging thing every now & then, now I just know to move my hand away and there's never been any problem.

My aspidites are my only snakes who also do the nudging thing with their prey, and then proceed to just open their mouth to comsume it - There is never any constriction or "kill" involved.

I have mine in a routine, there is no handling after dark, and when it is food time I tap his hide box 3 times, he has learnt what this means and shoots out looking around for his rat (like kids and the sounds of an ice cream truck). End result he no longer react to me opening his tub or even lifting up his hide anymore just the taps, so when it comes to handling he knows whats is and what isn't on offer. Call me mad but it works for me

Interesting obs there leamos re: handling after dark. This is the time when I predominantly handle him due to my work hours and the like. He also seems more active then, so I prefer to get him when he is out and about rather then take him out from under his cave.

All 3 of my snakes get fed in their enclosure, none have tagged or tried to get someone (except my Spotted but that was once, she hasnt done it since).
I still feed them in the enclosure, however I get them out everyday, sometimes a few times a day.

Interesting obs there leamos re: handling after dark. This is the time when I predominantly handle him due to my work hours and the like. He also seems more active then, so I prefer to get him when he is out and about rather then take him out from under his cave.

Im with you on that one reptilica, its natural for them to sleep during the day and i dont like being woken up so unless they seem active i leave them until they are, day or night...

I can probably handle him after dark now he's learnt his dinner bell hahahaah, suppose its just a habit I have gotten into over the years, by the way when I say 'after dark' I mean after 9ish, I do most of my handling 5-7pm like you say after work when then are starting to cruise the tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back