reptile licence advise

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakethemuss6

Reaction score
hi my name is jake i am 14 years old i have a couple snakes off my liscence 2 coastals and 1 spotted i contacted derm and explained my situation they whanto come and do a inspection, my snakes are pets that i have bought and loved not wild but i haft prove that i am trying to track down the seller for proof that they are not wild. i bought one of my carpets last year on locanto can't seem to track him down the lady from derm said that there could be some fines and confiscation is she just tring to scare me or is she serious.:( any advise would be great

hi my name is jake i am 14 years old i have a couple snakes off my liscence 2 coastals and 1 spotted i contacted derm and explained my situation they whanto come and do a inspection, my snakes are pets that i have bought and loved not wild but i haft prove that i am trying to track down the seller for proof that they are not wild. i bought one of my carpets last year on locanto can't seem to track him down the lady from derm said that there could be some fines and confiscation is she just tring to scare me or is she serious.:( any advise would be great

Jakedemuss are you even old enough to have watched the movie? lol

what is locanto?

Im sorry to tell you, but she is serious. There are reasons that snakes must be on licence.. mostly so the government can take your money, but also to stop the illegal trade in wild caught animals.

When you buy a snake you are supposed to get the sellers details (name, licence number etc) and they get yours. Did you do any of that? Do you have a licence? Or are you trying to get one?

Do you have a name for the seller? hsave you tried searching fb for him/her.
Did you parents help you get the snakes, do they have any of the info?
where did you collect the snakes from. If it was a residential address, can you go back and see if he's still there?
Where did you get your other snakes from?

There may be fines, and there maybe confiscation, because in the eyes of the law you have broken the law by not having the proper permits.

You can pm me the sellers name and i can ask if anyone on the fb reptile pages Im on knows them.

i would suggest that on the day of the inspection you at the very least make sure that your enclosures are extremely well maintained (this should be done at all times anyway) and cross your fingers that they have mercy on a kid.

Yeah, pretty much what Sez (it's way too early to count that many z's) said.

If you did buy the animals then they were purchased illegally, and I'm sorry to say that you are going to have a real hard time getting anyone to admit having sold them to you - The unscrupulousness of these individuals doesn't just stop at illegally selling wildlife. :(

I'm guessing "locanto" means location, so you purchased these animals at a park or something, and not a residence, which makes explaining things even more difficult for you.

All I can suggest is to tell the truth. Tell them that when you purchased them the seller informed you that no licence (or exchange of personal details) was required. Invite them into your house to show them the pristine conditions the animals are being kept in. That is all you can do.

I had the same problems with my bearded dragons. The guy I got them from was a real ****** head and said I didn't need a lisence, keep in mind I was only 5 at this time, so when I discovered I did need one, the guy was already shut down by the RSPCA. I remembered the store name but not his name. If you know the breeder's name, your in luck! Give the Department bof Flora and Fauna a call and they should help you out. Tell them this guys name (If you have it) and they'll look into it for you.

If you contacted this guy, do you still have his e mail? His Phone number? Give him a quick call or email saying that you forgot to get his information for the record books. If he doesn't give you any, when the lady comes aropund for inspection give her the numbers and email and she'll work it out for you (hopefully)
Mate, this truly does suck. The fine can be up $20,000 as well in some situations :( I really hope it all works out. Try to track down this guy. Notify that classifieds website, type his name in google, go back to his house, try contacting him, ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only 13 and I'd hate for this to happen to any of my snakes :(
Good luck :)

fingers crossed for you mate!!!

yeh i found his name and his number the term peeps are coming on thursday arvo :/ fingered crossed

Thats awesome. Have you contacted him and asked for his licence details etc?

Hopefully DERM will have a heart and keep in mind that you are only 14, and I'm assuming didnt know the rules and regs. (lol- people must be loling at this- im usually the first to jump down peoples throats for breaking the rules!!!) but I feel sorry for you and I don't believe you would have known any better. Your parents on the other hand should have found out all the requirements in advance!

Keep us posted on how you go...

This is typical of a gov dept . They have no hope of finding the real culprits with wild caught and exotic animals , so when an innocent kid contacts them to do the right thing its attack mode . Good luck I hope you get a good inspector .

yea hopefully they will have a bit of a heart and give you some leniency just make sure everythings squeaky clean and hopefully they will let you just put them on licence and keep them , i know when i was about 10 i had no idea of the laws and kept a turtle that got a caught in one of my dads eel traps (flame away) i only kept him for about a week to make sure he was going to be ok because when we noticed he was in there he had been baking in the sun all day , poor thing i ended up releasing him where we thought he came from although there was no real way of knowing which trap was at which location

This is typical of a gov dept . They have no hope of finding the real culprits with wild caught and exotic animals , so when an innocent kid contacts them to do the right thing its attack mode . Good luck I hope you get a good inspector .

That's usually the way it goes...

jakethemuss6: I hope everything works out for you... Just for future refference make sure you get all required details off the seller. What I have done has made up Word documents with the sellers details, when I brought the snake(s), when they hatched, shed, etc. Just an idea to keep in mind.

Good luck, i agree with everyone above - tell them everything you know, be honest and make sure your enclosures look as good as possible (shows you are looking after them)
SOME government employees have a heart....

Yea locanto is like gumtree for classifieds but with anything important like this it would be a good idea to keep emails or printable correspondence from the breeder just a tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back