Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they start growling or a loud hiss leave them alone if they start puffing there neck up do the same if you dont they will run at you.

Growling?

Defensive bites are the least of your worries, it's when they don't hiss or puff their neck but just run straight at you because they think you have food that they're most dangerous.

Growling?

Defensive bites are the least of your worries, it's when they don't hiss or puff their neck but just run straight at you because they think you have food that they're most dangerous.[/

Very true David.... I bought one of your hatchies a few years ago and after following your guide to lace monitors I can say that I have the best relationship with mine.... That said, when his eyes dilate and goes into feed mode, all bets are off... Still, the most rewarding monitor I feel is a Lacie....

Lacies can make great monitors, if they are kept by highly knowledgable and responsible owners.
If you are a newbie, forget it.

As mentioned earlier, Gouldii are a great monitor if you're after something a bit on the large side.
They don't get as large as Spencers, and they're certainly much smaller than a Panoptes or a Lace.
They tend to be a bit skittish in nature, but I'm sure there are some quiet ones out there.
Like all monitors, they have insane feed responses, so keep you hands well clear.

Maybe not the best starter, as I think smaller ones ie. Ackies, Gillens, brevaudica, blackheads etc. will be easier to keep in general, but certainly a monitor to think about a bit further down the track.

also are you going to be buying 3 enclosures? Beardies are best housed individually

In my experience, (which isn't extensive :p ) a mertens is a good larger monitor for someone not yet ready for lacies. Of course it would be ideal to start with something smaller, but if you are not willing to wait then I think mertens are ideal. The ones that I have kept and observed, seem reluctant to bite, unlike a lacie. Mine would go for the tail whip and hiss. Of course they still have that typical Varanus crazy food response, however I think they are more beginner friendly and you can have a lot of fun landscaping beautiful enclosures with pond space. I love being able to watch mine asleep underwater in plain site, or swim around. If you got a hatchling, you would have ample time to observe and learn about it's behaviour while it grew. They are easy to feed as they spend most of their time underwater and you can stock their pond with live prey like feeder fish, yabbies and prawns, as well as top up the food bowl while they are no where near your fingers :p Not that many baby monitors would be wanting to come at your fingers.... My young spencers sure did though. :) By the time they are a big bold adult charging out of the pond to snap the food up at lightning speed, you would hopefully be prepared! I don't handle my mertens though, I just enjoy watching them. I would certainly recommend a beginner taking a "look but don't touch" role with their monitors. Even the tiny ones can slice up your fingers in ways you never thought they could with such a little mouth.

Last edited:
Defensive bites are the least of your worries, it's when they don't hiss or puff their neck but just run straight at you because they think you have food that they're most dangerous.

when his eyes dilate and goes into feed mode, all bets are off.

VERY VERY true. I've had a TINY little love bite from my male because he was warm and hungry, no hissing or messing about, just came at me for food without any warning. Even after he jumped at my hand he kept coming, I had to pin him and get out of there! He's what I would consider a good lacie, very tolerant. If he's not hungry he's fine but he's ALWAYS very curious and enthusiastic for food! I know my animals well, I've had them for years, but even still I NEVER trust a lacie because food is always on their mind! The bite caused a lot of blood and a bloody heap of pain but no real damage thank god! This is nothing but a minor scratch. It bled for 2 days and I lost the nail from my thumb... a proper bite and it was good buy fingers :( I wont go in with them on a hot day and even when I do only in the early morning or late afternoon and only after they've been fed! Honestly, a year later and the scare still hurts occasionally. Serves as a good reminder for me.

I understand why many young people want to get lace monitors. They are big, cool and is an unusual animal to keep. As others have said, people shouldn't get a lace monitor as their first reptile or having no big lizard experience. First of all, they are dangerous. Second of all, it will cost a lot of money in terms of their required husbandry and food.

Best to see how you go with the bearded dragons and then in later on down the track expand into the monitor species with either ridge-tailed monitors, storr's or black headeds as they aren't big but show the typical monitor actions which you would find in lacies but without the danger of large claws and sharp teeth.

I dont think we can keep panoptes in vic........... yet. Jason's post should be taken into consideration when looking at purchasing a lacie. They can do a great deal of damage in an instant. Even keeping the smaller monitors beforehand doesn't really prepare you for lacies. On the job experience from a great keeper cant be beaten.

Spencers are a much safer option for large to medium monitors..... pussycats of the monitor world. Also, lacies are cute and fun when they are hatches, but try and sell a 1.8 meter angry male.

It's definitely a good idea to start with small monitors first, just so you can understand a monitors personality (very differant to any other lizard species). But I understand some people are impatient and just want to jump into the big monitors right away.

If that is the case? I would recommend a Spencer's as a large first monitor. They look cool, get big, sound scary with their constant hissing, but their not as dangerous. You run very little chance of being bitten by one, as they prefer to tail whip and hiss.

Heres a video a friend of mine took. It shows you just how fast and dangerous a big Lacie can be. Even if these lacies were "tame" and able to be picked up, all lacies turn into this at feeding time.

How Not To Feed A Big Monitor Lizard - YouTube

That clip really is up there with cuddling polar bears at the zoo. I wouldn't be encouraging anyone to feed Lacies in that manner. Good illustration of what can happen though.

v. panoptes and v. gouldii are fine monitors for beginners

My Panoptes' feeding response is stronger than that of my Varius'. A 5' Panoptes in feeding mode is not something that I would recommend to someone who's just stepped up from something like a Bearded Dragon.

Just watched that video for the first time. It definitely shows what happens when you mix lacies, warmth and food. Having said that I have nothing positive to say about how they're feeding them, that was absolute stupidity!! Anyone who thinks that's how to maintain and feed lacies just shouldn't be keeping!!

I've seen that clip a heap of times.... Serves a good reminder of the mindset of a Lacie when it smells food... My little guy launches across the enclosure for food, however, I only feed him from one of the lids, and reach in from the other lid.... When I go to the 'food' lid, Chopper goes nuts... Shows no interest at all when I open the other side.... That said, you can never afford to let your guard down, especially with the tame ones!!!!

V. panoptes as a beginners monitor jairusthevirus21. Really??? You have obviously never kept yellow spotteds. V. gouldii. Yes, but as suggested go with a smaller species first and work your way up.

Well i never had any issues??? first monitors i ever owned.... any particular reason they wudnt be good for a novice???

Well i never had any issues??? first monitors i ever owned.... any particular reason they wudnt be good for a novice???

Probably because they grow very quickly and are a very solid monitor that could pack a real punch. Some people are naturally good with reptiles and have good instincts about how to manage them. You are obviously one of those people :) Not everyone is so lucky :)

I would love some lacies, but I talk myself out of purchasing them every year because I like my hands on my arms :p One day when I am able to instal a pit in my own place so that I don't have to enter the enclosure to feed, I will get some. I saw photos on here of a fantastic pit that someone built with corrugated iron and glass sliding doors for windows. It looked like a zoo enclosure. I would love something like that.

my first monitor was a lacie i didnt have a single problem. i had plenty of snakes and lizards before that but i really didnt have a problem. if you do plenty of research and have a good home set up you will be fine

New south wales licenceing requires you to hold a smaller species of monitor for a year to gain experience first before stepping up to bigger monitors, that's what they told me anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back