Reptiles and pregnancy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I discovered i am pregnant today :D and i was hoping there were some other mums on here that could reassure me my snakes wont be a problem with the salmonella issue i have heard about . I have gloves for cleaning enclosures and mostly they poop outside but yeah...little worried as i googled it and read alot of different opinions and was left feeling confused.
I really am the only one that handles them so im hoping common sense and hygiene will keep me and my pregnancy safe.

Thanks in advance

Should have stocked up on salmonella antibodies before you got pregnant. I hear the best way to do this is to lick reptiles and eat 4 day old pizza out of your car:) :p
Congrats too!

Firstly, congratulations! All you really need to do is take all the reasonable steps with regard to hygiene - hand washing after cleaning or handling, alcohol-based hand cleaner etc, the things we all SHOULD do anyway, but generally don't. You'll be fine.

Jamie

lol sorry i dont lick snakes and dont like pizza so def aint about to eat old ones :p and thanks for the congrats.

Congratulations, and what Pythoninfinite said. I've been through two pregnancies with reptiles in abundance, and the only difference I noticed was that the smaller ones were for some reason a little more snappier with me than usual but that could have been me at the time, I was a little... Shall we say, manic? During the first few months lmao. Stock up on F10 gel and use before/after, wash hands, all that jazz.
You'll probably have more fun with reptile fallacies re: children, birthing horror stories, and tales of 'my step-sister's cousin's auntie's neighbour's dog's previous owner [insert unbelievable suburban myth here]...' than you will have dramas with your reps ;)

lol thanks everyone...i feel much better now. We have 6 kiddies already however this is the 1st with snakes :) i use the water free antibacterial wash after i handle them and as i mentioned i will only ever poop scoop with gloves on so all should be good.

You should be fine as long as you treat them the same as you would any other potential salmonella source (raw chicken etc), but even then I think thats extreme.

Oh and CONGRATS!!

Last edited:
CONGRATS :) However I would be more worried about Cats and kitty litter.

Enjoy the expanding belly tho! Lucky girl :D

Congratz!
6 not enough for you obviously.
Have you ever wondered what causes them?

Congratz!
Ive had 2 kiddies now and my youngest only being 4 months old. Ive never had a problem with cleaning reptile tanks or handling.
Ive always washed my hands thoughly before and after handling and cleaning.

And as Skelhorn said i would be more concerned about kitty litter.

If your belly gets too big make the hubby do it :)

6 nippas and another one on the way!!! Surprised you even have time for anything else:D. Well done, and congrats. I'm an irish mick and even our family is not that big!!:D:D

Congratulations! :) My GP and midwives did warn me about the possibility of salmonella infection on unborn baby but my pregnancy went fine, my daughter was born healthy (and she still is). Like others said, good hygiene practice is important. I wore gloves when cleaning the turtle tank & filter on top of washing my hands afterwards, probably a bit much but my cousin was born with skin lesions covering half her face due to toxoplasmosis so I didn't take any chances with salmonella! (didn't mean to scare you there, just saying that while it's VERY rare, it's still a possibility). Just make sure your midwives/GP are aware that you have reptiles so they can keep an eye on your baby a bit more because the mother doesn't usually show any symptoms. Congratulations again, hope the pregnancy goes smoothly!

I know it's a tough topic, but there are so many can do's and cannot do's around these days regarding pregnancy, that I often wonder how the hell any of us born prior to the 80's actually made it out of the womb...

Fresh kitty poo is not an issue it is more of a concern when it is 3/4 days old. So if you have a cat, poop scoop every day and observe normal hygiene standards = no issue at all:)

Congratz!
6 not enough for you obviously.
Have you ever wondered what causes them?

LOL what can i say i like snakes :p

- - - Updated - - -

I dont like or own a cat lol so they r not an issue . I was cleaning the enclosures out yesterday and as i was doing i thought to myself i would probably have more chance of catching salmonella in a food court! thanks 4 the advice everyone :)

Last edited:
Congratulations :) I kept reptiles during my last pregnancy & with a bit of extra attention to hygiene everything was fine. I always wore gloves for cleaning enclosures & tubs so I didn't need to worry too much. I was told that the mice & rats we bred was more of a concern as they carry lot's of nasties so I got out of cleaning them for 9 months:lol:I have 6 kids too;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back