Bluetoung

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is 'cut and paste' at its best...

"Sexing lizards can be difficult, but according to Zach Griffith, an expert on blue-tongued lizards (also known as blue-tongue skinks), it's a matter of knowing what to look for. Although you could place two lizards, at least 1 year old, into a the cage to observe their behavior -- males fight, females ignore each other and at the right time of year two of opposite sexes may mate -- there are other things you can do to look determine the sex of your lizard. Griffith says the best way to determine the sex of your lizard is to watch it defecate."

(source - "ehow.com")

Last edited:
I have read that male blue tongues generally have larger heads then females. But this is not a prefect way to sex them. Could you get a vet or breeder who could probe?

probings your best option but get it done by a proffessional like hazordous-herps said

DO NOT ever probe a bluey. Its very very dangerous and can render your animal incapable of breeding or worse still, death. Not to mention that its very rarely performed correctly and usually always gives an inconclusive result. Even when performed by a professional while the animal is heavily sedated (I refuse to let my animals to be sedated for no reason). Look for hemipenal bulges in males, or sperm plugs. Thats the best and safest way to sex them. And why do people on APS always comment on things they obviously know nothing about. Thats the main reason i hardly ever use this site anymore. Does my head in.

I have read that male blue tongues generally have larger heads then females. But this is not a prefect way to sex them. Could you get a vet or breeder who could probe?

I agree, this is a good way to sex them, they really are different.

Females have shorter fatter tails than males who have longer thinner tails,if you have 2 similar age lizards it is easy to tell the difference

I can happily show you some blueys that disprove both the above 2 theories

As everyone above has mentioned, the myths and facts of how to sex a BlueTongue are so interlinked, I would be reluctant to listen to any of them. In saying that though, I agree 100% that you should not get your BlueTongue probed unless its by a vet who has had previous experience and even then I would be reluctant.

Is there any reason you need to know if its male or female?

I can happily show you some blueys that disprove both the above 2 theories
Not my theory about males having larger heads, I read it in a book. Anyway as other people have said if you do get it done by a vet or breeder who has experience and knows what there doing I don't see the problem. But probably like you said the best thing is to look for a sperm plug. I'm not an expert on this field and should probably keep my mouth shut next time. To me it just seemed like something you could do.

The sexual dimorphic characteristics of bluetongues are generally shared between the genders.

As everyone above has mentioned, the myths and facts of how to sex a BlueTongue are so interlinked, I would be reluctant to listen to any of them. In saying that though, I agree 100% that you should not get your BlueTongue probed unless its by a vet who has had previous experience and even then I would be reluctant.

Is there any reason you need to know if its male or female?

Dont probe them at all....... Ive had Baden do some for me & have done a bunch myself...... some known females probed deeper than males meaning any other consisitencies that you may encounter are worthless.

- - - Updated - - -

This is 'cut and paste' at its best...

"Sexing lizards can be difficult, but according to Zach Griffith, an expert on blue-tongued lizards (also known as blue-tongue skinks), it's a matter of knowing what to look for. Although you could place two lizards, at least 1 year old, into a the cage to observe their behavior -- males fight, females ignore each other and at the right time of year two of opposite sexes may mate -- there are other things you can do to look determine the sex of your lizard. Griffith says the best way to determine the sex of your lizard is to watch it defecate."

(source - "ehow.com")

some males ignore each other & some females will fight you may also want to include lol....

Just get a bunch of general statistics about features that may mean your lizard is a male/female. See how many of these resemble in your lizard and then chances are it is most likely a male if multiple of the statements defining a male lizard are true for your particular lizard. also if you buy from a place where there are a bunch of both genders pick out the ones that look similar and behave in a similar manner.
However I agree 100% with snakeman; never probe a bluey. Yes people have done it occasionally and sometimes it works but the chances of it going wrong are very high and outweigh that of the possibility that it will work. If you knew what was best I wouldn't do it.
And I know all blueys differ. Some males may have no way to identify the difference but if you can find a couple of reasons as to why it could be male you have a pretty good idea. There is no definite way of knowing so just hope for the best really.

Sorry I repeated myself a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back