Introducing Antaresia Childreni

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dippy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a random question, when introducing your Childreni's for the first time into a shared enclosure... How would you go about doing it? I have an adult Female weighing about 240 grams, still underweight for breeding and a male at about 180 grams. Both are around the 80cm mark and I wanted to move them into a shared enclosure sometime in the future. Now the Female currently owns this 60cm X 40cm X 40cm enclosure all to herself and I have tried several times to introduce the male in the past. She is fine with it and is very inquisitive of him, Sliding up lickin him and sliding over him but he just takes off. I've only had him since April and he was never handled before that, and so has been a bit bitey lol. I placed 2 hides in there for them, but I think the girl gets annoyed with the boys flightiness... As she the arcs up and becomes agitated. What can or should I do to make this transition as easy as possible?

Last edited:
If the female looks like she is interested in the male but gets agitated by his fligthiness and how he always runs away. You could always put the male into the enclosure, in a small mesh enclosure so the female can go check him out without him running away. But Im no expert and this may not be a good thing to do, it just seems the best way to let the female check the male out closely without him running off. :)

Hey guys,

In the end i took the pair down to my local reptile vet, and he sexed them both as male. So there in was my problem, However since discovering this i have sold off the bitey one and kept my gorgeous boy. I bought him a new girl and they locked up straight away, for a full 24 hours i might add. They were on and off for about 2 -3 weeks and she is starting to bulge a little =) so fingers crossed. Here's a couple of pic's of the pairing...

Attachments

• 304650_4474684511829_338186652_n.jpg
    304650_4474684511829_338186652_n.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 74
  • Chilly.jpg
    Chilly.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 65
Nothing worse than buying a snake that has been sexed wrongly.Glad you had the sense to get them checked out. Good luck and keep us posted on how it all goes.:)

No quarantine, But only because i trust the breeder lol. I know he keeps a very clean collection so all is good, The pair have lost interest and by looks of it Topaz is swelling up nicely lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back