Black and Gold Jungle. What are they like?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelhorn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have heard the typical jungle attitude can be interesting at best but I have found a little black and gold jungle that is a little beauty (especially for the price).

How are their temprements as they get older? Are they always snappy or do you get the occasional winner :)
Also as they get larger (as this one is still under 2 foot) do they lose the beautiful colouring or are they lucky enough to retain it (i know with most species the colour drifts but so far with my Bredli (7 foot) and my Stimsons 70cmish I have been lucky with colour not fading)!

Would love to see some pictures :)

Thanks in advance.

They are definately worth owning. Mine was abit snappy when i first got him but now hes pretty good but gets abit hyped up when hes hungry and i have to use a hook to get him out when i handle him because every time i open his enclosure he thinks it feed time but hes pretty good when hes out. Hes about two and half now and his yellow started to turn a lighter gold when he was about two years old.they are a Pretty good snake to own.

Every snake is different but generally they are a bit snappy, cage defensive as youngsters but most will calm right down after a year or two. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, some are extremely placid from day one, others are mental all their life. But like I said the majority will calm down once they work out you ain't trying to eat them. but you might cope a few bites in the process. To be honest I have been tagged plenty more times by children's and spotteds then jungles

Cheers carfreak1995...do you have more pictures of your little one?

Hahaha I am just attracted to the colours and patterns, I love your DP Leamos!
I am hoping that if I get one that it keeps the strong colouration for life (but understand thats not always the case).

GET ONE! GET ONE! GET ONE! GET ONE! GET ONE!
you will not regret it! I just got my little 9month girl and she is one of the most lovliest things on the planet! She's not aggressive at all and is such a sweet heart. They are amazing creatures to watch. The climb around and wrap around you like a bracelet! So cool :p Mine is so pretty, she has been bred from Southern Cross Reptile lines and the ? Moore Lines in Queensland. They are the best, if you can handle them without getting scared of a little nip, you'll be fine. (Even though mine hasn't even attempted to bite!)

And usually SXR lines hold their colour for longer....I think?

At the moment my phones being weird and wont upload photos but it usually works so i dont know whats wrong with it. There should be a couple of pics on a thread i made a couple of months ago.

I haven't had mine for too long but when I picks them up Jason showed me their parents and an older sibling of theirs and both were beautiful. The father was one of the most placid snakes I've ever seen. Not only that but he was 5 years old and Jason said he hadn't lost any of his colour and neither had his mother.

I've had my jungles for a couple of months now an they've calmed down considerably. I can't remember the last time I was tagged. All in all they are beautiful snakes and a joy to own. Here are some pictures of Snickers from his shed two days ago (Mia is a little dirty looking as she's due for a shed so I'll show you some pictures of her after she has she'd if you're interested). :)

5ere9u8y.jpg

une8yga9.jpg

6ase9e2a.jpg

I highly recommend getting one! They're beautiful and I think there is a lot of exaggerated hype about their snappy nature. :)

I'm glad I didn't listen to everyone who told me "Don't get a Jungle, they're too snappy"

I got tagged on night one, getting Moose out of his travel Click Clack and not since. He will be 2 years old in January.

I will attach a photo of him from 2 weeks ago, him cruising around with us. He is a dream snake for me personally. I can get him out of his enclosure with my hands now and only use the hook to helo me if he's in a strange spot and I think it's because I'm slow and patient with him that he's turned out like this.

I think if I was impatient and rushed him I'd have been bitten every time I ever touched him.

I expect him to dull off as he gets older (who cares though when he's such a pleasure to own!!)

Will upload that photo later.

all snakes are individuals and some are calm some are a little feisty..
I keep quite a few jungles and the feisty ones are definitely in the minority..

"Ajiria" female I bred a few years back

DSC04125.jpg

DSC04127.jpg

I haven't had mine for too long but when I picks them up Jason showed me their parents and an older sibling of theirs and both were beautiful. The father was one of the most placid snakes I've ever seen. Not only that but he was 5 years old and Jason said he hadn't lost any of his colour and neither had his mother.

I've had my jungles for a couple of months now an they've calmed down considerably. I can't remember the last time I was tagged. All in all they are beautiful snakes and a joy to own. Here are some pictures of Snickers from his shed two days ago (Mia is a little dirty looking as she's due for a shed so I'll show you some pictures of her after she has she'd if you're interested). :)

6ase9e2a.jpg

I highly recommend getting one! They're beautiful and I think there is a lot of exaggerated hype about their snappy nature. :)

Very cute looking snake, the one in the toilet roll has a bit of yellow in her! Looing forward to more pictures :)

Damn that's nice, Colin.

Dam Colin, that is an impressive specimen! Love the colours and the strong pattern, what a score. Thanks for sharing :)

- - - Updated - - -

DSC04127.jpg

Dam Colin, that is an impressive specimen! Love the colours and the strong pattern, what a score. Thanks for sharing :)

- - - Updated - - -

GET ONE! GET ONE! GET ONE! GET ONE! GET ONE!
you will not regret it! I just got my little 9month girl and she is one of the most lovliest things on the planet! She's not aggressive at all and is such a sweet heart. They are amazing creatures to watch. The climb around and wrap around you like a bracelet! So cool :p Mine is so pretty, she has been bred from Southern Cross Reptile lines and the ? Moore Lines in Queensland. They are the best, if you can handle them without getting scared of a little nip, you'll be fine. (Even though mine hasn't even attempted to bite!)

And usually SXR lines hold their colour for longer....I think?

Good to know mate. Thanks :)

thanks for the comments.. one I bred last year
DSC04091-2.jpg

B&G's (or Jungles, for that matter) have never been my thing, but there's no denying the sheer beauty of those animals.

Haha I love looking back at how teeeeeny he was!!

This is the first time I saw him, while still with his breeder:
M9.JPG

First proper handle, about 2-3 weeks after I got him:
264228_10150237431602633_580327632_7722735_5229464_n.jpg

After he was more confident being handled:
183975_10150255915852633_580327632_7903874_8244596_n.jpg IMG_0754.jpg 388949_2322701231172_1358832329_3869117_1902839859_n.jpg

Getting some sun:
IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0962.jpg

Helping with the internet:
Moosey.JPG

Recent photo's done by a photographer friend (Proof of Life Photography)
IMG_7522edit.jpg IMG_7552edit.jpg IMG_7418edit.jpg

And 2 weeks ago, the most recent photo I have. He will be 2 in January and I couldn't imagine not having him!:
Moose.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Schnecke...got a score there, didn't the colour come through!
Thanks Skelhorn,

He still has a bit of brownish tinge along his spine in most lights, but in the sun he is suuuper yellow. The professional photo's are obviously enhanced, but all of the other ones are either inside the loungeroom or outside with no flash, so nothing fancy happening there and he's still such a pretty boy.

I didn't choose him for his colour, but got lucky anyway :) His parents are wonderfully brightly coloured and bred from SXR lines by 'snakeitup' (an APS member) for their temperament.

He is a wonderful boy. When I got him as a 6 month old if I opened the click clack he'd fly out of it like a rocket!! It took me a little bit to get used to him being so fast! Slowly, with slow movements and patience he is now a worm to handle :)

Don't get me wrong - if someone was to handle him roughly or open his enclosure up and crowd him I have no doubt that he'd strike or headbutt - but that's not the way to handle a Jungle. To my own credit I think I handle him very very well. He is happy letting he move and handle his head and when he had his photo shoot he was impressive - never ONCE got upset, even with al the lighting, flashing and manouvering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back