Quick scrub Q

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Addam

Reaction score
Does anyone have a completely calm adult scrub? Just curious is all

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

A while back, Baz posted pics on his FB of a 19yo scrub that apparently, is a pussycat.

Im sure theres a few out there, each snake has its own personality. Even the meanest of snakes can be tamed especially if you have years to work with them which is probably required to tame a scrub.

No such thing as a completely calm snake, let alone a Scrub.
Every snake has the potential to bite, and it will react instinctively if it is put in an uncomfortable situation.
Plenty of people have been bitten by their 'tame' snakes.

Scrubs are really in a league of their own when it comes to personality.
Sure, some are less inclined to bite than others, but in general, it doesn't take much provocation to aggravate a Scrub enough to bite.

Calling a potentially dangerous animal 'tame' tends to put the keeper in a more relaxed state, and dare I say it they may get a bit complacent when it comes to general interaction. Complacency and potentially dangerous animals don't go too well together.

You can call it whatever you want, but a large Scrub is still very capable of killing a human being.
Treat them with respect, don't get stupid or complacent around them, and you will have very few problems.

Every snake has the potential to bite, and it will react instinctively if it is put in an uncomfortable situation.
Plenty of people have been bitten by their 'tame' snakes.

While I think this is the case with scrubbies I've got some snakes that I don't think you could make bite you and you can have a perfectly calm snake.

Calling a potentially dangerous animal 'tame' tends to put the keeper in a more relaxed state, and dare I say it they may get a bit complacent when it comes to general interaction. Complacency and potentially dangerous animals don't go too well together.

You can call it whatever you want, but a large Scrub is still very capable of killing a human being.
Treat them with respect, don't get stupid or complacent around them, and you will have very few problems.

+1

These are magnificent animals and I have met one very placid massive 10 year old. But it is still very important to remember what boidae said even with this fella his owner never attempted to do anything in the enclosure or take him out without a second person in the general vivinity.

Yeah right lol mine is a 18 month old male and takes about 20 mins to half calm down then he handles ok

While I agree that scrubbies are one of the most unpredictable snakes I tend to disagree about calm/tame snakes

There are thousands of large constrictors etc being kept that are most definitely very calm and very tame
Pommies and yanks love corn snakes and ball pythons because they are so gentle
retics or burmese are much stronger than any scrubby yet we take them to schools every week with zero dramas regardless of how the kids act

Give scrubbies a few more generations of captive breeding and see how they are then

I'm not sure a few generations of captive breeding will make much difference, I don't think scrubbie owners wouldnt breed their snakes just because they are snappy. However that is a generalisation and there may be some people out there only breeding the ones with a good temperament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back