is it legal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaper

Reaction score
ok im not in this situation or anything but i know its not legal to keep a wild snake, but i was under the impression if it was injured you could take it in and get it back to health then release it ? what if that snake lays a clutch in that time. whats the go with the eggs ??

"You" do not own them, "You" would have to release, it would be the same as taking a baby snake from the wild I presume.

ok im not in this situation or anything but i know its not legal to keep a wild snake, but i was under the impression if it was injured you could take it in and get it back to health then release it ? what if that snake lays a clutch in that time. whats the go with the eggs ??

You cannot take any injured wildlife in to get them back to health to be able to release them later on.

are you even allowed to keep injured wild snakes on a normal licence in qld , i dont know the rules up there thats why i ask but i know in nsw your normal licence does not cover it , you need a certain licence

There could be a slight chance that if you requested permission they may grant it. But in NSW, an animal has to go into the care of a licensed wildlife carer. A vet can declare a snake, or any animal, un-releaseable. If it isn't euthanised, the wildlife rescue organisation can hand it over to the local reptile club (with National Parks' permission) who can then decide who they think is capable of caring for the snake, and can get a license number granted.

it is perfectly legal in Tasmania if you have a herpetological permit (free and easy to obtain)

A Frillneck blue tongue would be interesting lol (Not that I would even try and do it or encourage others too)

I dont think you are allowed to touch even a dead snake without a permit. Probably not even snake poo!

like i said im not in the situation, i was just wondering. but i have to say if i found a snake like pecked open or something but still alive there is no way i wouldn't help it. was just thinking i know its illegal to go and take a wild snake but if eggs are hatched in captivity from a wild snake are they considered wild or captive..... and even if someone had the licence to be able to help then free the snake. again are the eggs captive or wild.

like i said im not in the situation, i was just wondering. but i have to say if i found a snake like pecked open or something but still alive there is no way i wouldn't help it. was just thinking i know its illegal to go and take a wild snake but if eggs are hatched in captivity from a wild snake are they considered wild or captive..... and even if someone had the licence to be able to help then free the snake. again are the eggs captive or wild.

In queensland you need to be registered as a wildlife carer before you can nurse injured snakes back to health, if that snake was to lay eggs they would also be considered as wild and you would probably incubate them till they hatched then release them at an appropriate location close to where the mother was found.

nah mate here in qld they are pretty strict, you have to a damage mitigation permit to even touch a snake on someones property, and then require a rehabilitation permit to keep and look after a injured reptile untill it is able to be released in the wild, the same goes with any reptile eggs found... If you do happen to find yourself in that situation ;-) let me know, i hold both permits and do rehab snakes, venomous or not including any lizards / dragons / monitors.
Graeme

There is a difference between helping a snake that is in need of help and foster caring for a snake that has been injured.

You would not get into trouble for transporting an injured snake to a licenced foster carer but you could get into strife if you took it upon yourself to keep a snake for the purposes of caring for it. You need a licence to care for snakes even if they have been injured.

In regards to your question regarding eggs or babies produced while in care I suspect that the answer would be that they would be made available via a ballot organised by a reptile group on behalf of the relevant authorities. Those ballots enable licenced people to put their name into 'a hat' for the possibility to be given reptiles that are made available through the ballot. Those reptiles can generally not be onsold and would need to be handed back if you were no longer going to keep it.

So the loose ends are pretty well tied up and there is no opportunity for obtaining wild animals or their progeny unless of course you have a relevant licence to do so.

i wouldnt really want a wild snake, even after a checkup and whatnot i would always have it in back of my mind that they may have something they can give to the rest of them. was just wondering :D but thanks for all the info and if i ever do find myself in that situation 'snakerelocation' you shall be the first person i try and get in touch with.

that ballot information was pretty cool i had no idea things would go to those lengths but it does make sense, keeping people from going out trying to find gravid females and keeping the offspring. although i still license or not rescue and injured snake or other animal (except spiders they scare the **** out of me) if i had the power to help it.

Wow, that's pretty strict. I can understand why Oz wouldn't allow non native reps in country, but to rescue an injured rep that is native, only to get into trouble.

I saw an old episode that Steve Irwin did about invasive species, I.e. mice/rats and the farmers used jungles to take care of some of them. Would this be legal or do y'all need a permit for that as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

The best thing, legally, that you can do for snakes is to take them to the vet or local wildlife carer, or join the organisation yourself. Become a rescuer and carer for reptiles, then you can look after them, legally. Hassles free. I did join my local group for a while but I dropped out because I could not afford the petrol going out after snakes that I couldn't find, in ppl's rural yards. I still pick up the wildlife if I find them, but I take them staight in to a FAWNA member who lives nearby to me. But I have been thinking of rejoining but only as a carer. I enjoyed releasing my successes back to their home. The turtles are amazing. Watch their broken shell repair and they can go home again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back