Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
every time i see one of these threads i realise how bloody lucky i must be.
i have been picking up and pulling laceys from trees since my early teens (and still do occasionally).
i got my first pet adult one when i was about 15. never had an issue with it, nor the one i have now.
it was only when i joined this site and read a few threads that i found out how dangerous they seem to be.

Last edited:
I went for a drive to a national park yesterday and seen about 15 lacies around the camp grounds. People must feed them cause they are not afraid of people. I was taking some pics of one and he just charged at me. He wasn't even that big, followed me for about 5 metres. About a hour later there was a old couple taking pics of one of the lacies. They were only about a metre away from it. The guy was kneeling down to get the pic, I went over and warned him to keep a bit more distance. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone gets a bad bite.

Probably because they grow very quickly and are a very solid monitor that could pack a real punch. Some people are naturally good with reptiles and have good instincts about how to manage them. You are obviously one of those people :) Not everyone is so lucky :)

I would love some lacies, but I talk myself out of purchasing them every year because I like my hands on my arms :p One day when I am able to instal a pit in my own place so that I don't have to enter the enclosure to feed, I will get some. I saw photos on here of a fantastic pit that someone built with corrugated iron and glass sliding doors for windows. It looked like a zoo enclosure. I would love something like that.

Naaawww shucks Ingie!...:D Thanks but probably very far from the truth... ;)ha ha ha. Put it down to luck perhaps.

my first monitor was a lacie i didnt have a single problem. i had plenty of snakes and lizards before that but i really didnt have a problem. if you do plenty of research and have a good home set up you will be fine
Did you keep him into adulthood? Young monitors are a lot easier than full grown bold ones that charge at you with their slicey end:p

to all the people complaining about feeding on hot days ect id be asumeing your lacies are in averies of sorts (fully meshed enclosers) if so have you thought about building a feeding trap slot for dropping food in without having to open the door, if YOUR animals are so used to routine and dangerous why not get them used to food comeing from a slot so when you open the pen door its for cleaning and interaction? no food response??

That would work out well if there is only one lacie in the aviary. But when you have two or more, they are more likely to fight over the food, and that's when injuries to themselves occur. Monitors tend to grab what's hanging out of their cagemates mouth, completely ignoring what might be in a bowl right in front of them. When doing so, they often grab the head of their cagemate instead of the food, and a tug-of-war ensues, with lacerations being inflicted on one another. This is the reason why I feed them from tongs - to try and seperate them at either end of the aviary and be offering another food item while the other monitor is busy swallowing its own.

I have a separate door that I use for feeding mine. I usually put the food in their bowel early morning or late night when it's cooler. I tend not to stick around when they're eating so that they don't associate people and food. The male is usually first to bask hence gets first dibs on the grub. I make sure there's plenty so that they both fill up. I feed the adults twice a week and only go in in the afternoon after they've eatern and always with boots and gloves. I value my digits and getting bitten really really hurts! Makes being bitten by a large adult carpet feel like a tickle

You put the food in their bowel ??? I don't think I have heard of that method of feeding before!!! I'm really hoping you meant bowl lol

How do u know when they are full? is it as simple as seeing a python with a good size lump?

I keep a couple of ackies and next year jumping into the lacies and can't wait, defiantly a big jump but have mate with them and played with em in the bush for years, but it's like any animal they need respect patience and time for them to trust you, ridge tails, Spencer's or a mertins are a excellent start small but great for the understanding of how smart they really are I'd love a perentie 1 day but that'll be a few years after the LaCie lol, I have beardeds, water dragons, pythons and ridge tails and love em to bits but even still i have to do research before I jump to a LaCie, on the other hand my mate jump straight into reps and got a bells as his 1st and hercules is trained like a puppy lol so all up to the amount of time and effort you put in and the rewards are priceless good luck mate

How do u know when they are full? is it as simple as seeing a python with a good size lump?

Lacies are never full ;)

Yes, usually (if you let them) they will eat until they can't fit anymore in, and they have a bloated/swollen gut. Personally, I don't like to pump mine full of food like that, and keep things in moderation.

It's difficult feeding 2 monitors when they're both housed in the same enclosure, leaving the food in there in a bowl doesn't work for me, it just creates a fight over the 1 rat while the other rat goes cold. My Panoptes pair keep me on my toes, it's a bit of a juggling act :D

That would work out well if there is only one lacie in the aviary. But when you have two or more, they are more likely to fight over the food, and that's when injuries to themselves occur. Monitors tend to grab what's hanging out of their cagemates mouth, completely ignoring what might be in a bowl right in front of them. When doing so, they often grab the head of their cagemate instead of the food, and a tug-of-war ensues, with lacerations being inflicted on one another. This is the reason why I feed them from tongs - to try and seperate them at either end of the aviary and be offering another food item while the other monitor is busy swallowing its own.[/Q

This seems like it could be worked around could you make a divideing nib wall only half way through the enclosure (might take some training) but only feed each one once its ont the right side of the 1200 mm divedeing wall and have 2 slots next to each other wont take long for them to work out where they should be if food is the reward. they are smart i have a few now and dont have a issue ... mind you my 3 are under 1200 mm long (but dont fight over food due to sep feed areas... might not work for every monitor but dose for mine
cheers Daryl

i got my lace as my first monitor , and gee he has taught me alot of things . my advice to the op is start doing your research now and then wait a couple of years before u buy one . u need to factor in the size of the enclosure that will be needed when its an adult , the food qty it will need . ect ect .

Yeah i wouldnt feed them till they get that big either, thanks serpenttongue.
Another question, at what age should they be before moving them to an outdoor enclosure?

my boy is about 2 and a half years old , and his been outside for around 9 months .. and he seems to be doing great out there .

Yeah i wouldnt feed them till they get that big either, thanks serpenttongue.
Another question, at what age should they be before moving them to an outdoor enclosure?

I would go by size rather than age because you can pump them up very quickly and have them over 1 metre in their first year, if you so desired.

At around 90cm I would put one outdoors in a small aviary, but bring it indoors on unusually cold nights and through winter.

Rightio, so since i live around their homerange they would be okay outdoors all year round (with a heated box) when they are adults?

Yes, they do very well outdoors as adults. I am in Wollongong and my adults stay outside all winter without any artificial heating.

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a video a friend of mine took. It shows you just how fast and dangerous a big Lacie can be. Even if these lacies were "tame" and able to be picked up, all lacies turn into this at feeding time.

How Not To Feed A Big Monitor Lizard - YouTube

That video should really be re-titled "How Not To Feed An Enclosure Full Of Monitors", for the method used in the video (just throwing the food in haphazardly) would work well for a single big monitor, but not for 5 together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back