Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Louise

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here!
Im looking for some advice and help! I'm thinking of getting a snake but never owned one and have no experience. Most I've done is handled a python.

Im still trying to find out about different snakes, care, housing ect.
So since I'm new to snakes and inexperienced I want a snake that's more likely to be placid, and relatively easy to keep.
Can anyone help me out please?

the smaller snakes are good snakes for first timers as they don't grow very big, stimson's/childrens/spotted python (Genus Antaresia)

Woma's are great snakes, interesting behaviour and very placid except at feeding time when they go a bit crazy,but they they do grow a bit bigger than any of the Antaresia.

If you can handle larger snakes then several of the subspecies of carpet python make awesome pets but tend to get to about 3m long

this article by Doc Rock gives a good summary of the different snakes and their pros and cons. The thing to remember is though you can generalise the behaviour of a species, snakes do also have individual temperaments, and although most woma's are placid snakes, there are exceptions, same goes for some of the species that are considered more feisty, some of them can also be very placid

Attachments

• road_testing_lr.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
I agree, my first python was a carpet i got when i was 12 and i owned for 7 years, no trouble at all, good feeder and great to handle unfortunately i had to sell him. I have only just recently started keeping pythons again and about a month ago i bought 2 juvenile stimsons pythons, they are very easy to keep and very good to handle however one is a bit snappy but that is to be expected with juveniles but as they grow older they become more placid and much better to handle, if i were you id get a carpet or a stimsons but it all depends on what you want, have a bit of a look and do a bit of research on keeping the particular species you want i don't think you will have any problems.

I was in the same situation about 6 months ago, isn't it exciting getting a new snake? :D

I used to have lots of questions too. The best way to find out is to read all the different care sheets of the species. Check out the different types of species out there and pick the one you like the most. When deciding the two most important things for me are their size and appearance. Size is a big issue when it comes to the amount of money you are willing to invest in the snake, the bigger the snake, the more you have to feed them and the bigger the enclosure must be.

As Raymonde has said above, snakes have their own personalities and should not be classed like " Jungles are snappy". They are the same as us, we cant say that a single race of humans are all angry, there are nice and bad in all races. If you are scared of getting a snappy snake just simply ask the breeder you are buying it off if the snake you are interested in is snappy or not. Once you tell them that it will be your first snake i'm sure all herpers understand that you want a nice and calm snake. Keep in mind also that once you spend time with your snake they will be more susceptible to handling (there are a few exceptions ofcourse).

Enjoy getting your first snake! oh and one last thing, don't compromise on a specific snake if you are thinking "i can start with this and get something better later". Get what you like and in the long run it will help both you money wise and the snake will not be traded around many herpers.

honestly for a first snake i would recommend something that is found in your area, makes things a lot easier temp wise for a beginner.

Thank you so much everyone!Thanks for the article raymonde! That was great to read, a carpet or a children's does sound good, I think I've got a lot of research to do and sounds like its very important to go spend time handling the snake before I decide to buy. But what age would be good to look for and are there certain things to look for in the snake? If the young ones are snappy how do I tell what their temperament could be like? Or would it be better to get an adult since I'm new to them and the temperament matters? I don't know what size would be most suitable, are the larger pythons hard to handle?Dreaper, do you mean one that's bred and sold locally? Sorry, that's probably a stupid question.Its so exciting, I've been told no snakes for years and recently got the ok from my partner, as long as he doesn't have to touch it or touch it's food haha

Thank you so much everyone!Thanks for the article raymonde! That was great to read, a carpet or a children's does sound good, I think I've got a lot of research to do and sounds like its very important to go spend time handling the snake before I decide to buy. But what age would be good to look for and are there certain things to look for in the snake? If the young ones are snappy how do I tell what their temperament could be like? Or would it be better to get an adult since I'm new to them and the temperament matters? I don't know what size would be most suitable, are the larger pythons hard to handle?Dreaper, do you mean one that's bred and sold locally? Sorry, that's probably a stupid question.Its so exciting, I've been told no snakes for years and recently got the ok from my partner, as long as he doesn't have to touch it or touch it's food haha

Hey, persnally i would go for a hatchie - i have a hatchie childrens python awesome snake ! Only bitten once coz of my stupid mistake, but the bite didnt hurt one bit ! Childrens pythons dont need big tanks, what are you from ? I suggest shiresnakes - you can buy packages there which means your set for a while :) hope this helped :)

Hi there, I am also new to snakes i have a Centralian Carpet python and he is only 7 months old and i have never been bitten by him. He's very placed and he has a great personalty.
They can grow up to 7ft so they do grow big but the older they get the more docile they are aswell. So i would reacomend a Centralian Carpet python. My Dad had a Children python but it was s very fussy eater and temperamental aswell :|
Dolittle Farm
This is a great website i use it a lot myself.
I hope i could help you.

Definately go with a hatchie. Then if it does bite it won't hurt and you'll be much more confident when handling it. You can't really tell how your snake will be temperament wise when it gets older but like most people will tell you, you should expect to be bitten by whatever snake you get at some stage. But in saying that my stimmie has never bitten me nor tried but there's no guarantee she never will . The other thing is, and the best part :p... its very exciting to watch them grow up from little wormies :D

Oh and I definitely agree with Grogshla! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back