Gravid bearded dragon digging, third day still not satisfied

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rose328

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my female has been gravid for 3 weeks and a half. About 2-3 days ago she started digging. I decided to get a box with soul for her she tried digging a hole but it kept collapsing on her. Then I got a 2 foot tank maybe bigger and had moist soil in that but she was not interested at all untill I took the male out (he was in the enclosure bobbing his head at her from outside her tank) as soon as I took her out she started digging again, this was at about 5 it's now 11 she is still going.

Am I doing sonthing wrong or is she being too fussy?

Make sure you pile up the damp soil and companct it in. Mine wont lay if the arnt happy with there hole. So if it keeps caving in they wont lay there and will keep trying to find a good spot for there eggs.

mine was having the same problem with digging her holes try placing a piece of cupboard just under the sand surface so it gives her a stable roof to dig

Hey Rose!

This is a pic with my Molly (also currently gravid) in her laying box... 2/3 fill the bottom half with damp vermiculite - retains moisture well, and holds its tunnel, so she can properly bury her eggs, then cover them back up again...

Please be aware, if your female isn't "happy" with her laying box/site, she may retain/reabsorb her eggs... Which may lead to a somewhat more serious issue...

Attachments

• Molly being cute.jpg
    Molly being cute.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 68
Make sure you pile up the damp soil and companct it in. Mine wont lay if the arnt happy with there hole. So if it keeps caving in they wont lay there and will keep trying to find a good spot for there eggs.

So what happens if they don't find a good spot? Surely they'd become stressed and ill from holding the eggs for too long? Does that happen or will they just end up having to drop them where ever?

It all worked out. I mixed the soil with vermiculite and sand and then made it a little more damp. 4:00 in the morning wake up with a skinny girl and 20 eggs

Next problem, no one told me about the humidity in the incubator and turns out its way too high, it's at 99. What do I do to get it back down to the right humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back