Sand Monitor Substrates?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boidae

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just after some ideas for a new substrate for my Sand Monitor. He has been on Brickie's sand for the last 8 or so months, but I'd like to get some ideas on a new substrate that I can keep him on.

He loves burrowing, and the Brickie's sand is great in this respect, but I'm a bit worried about how much dust it gives off, and that it also stains his beautiful colours.

I was thinking a mix of clay soil and good quality dirt, but basically something that doesn't give off too much humidity, as high humidity really screws up his sheds, but that can still hold a strong burrow. Also any recommendations on where to buy the substrates, any particular brands you've had good experiences with etc.

Cheers.

Hi mate I used to buy playground sand from bunnings until I put my sandy into a bigger enclosure, then I started buying fine sand from a landscape supplies shop. Lots cheaper for a huge bag.

I keep both my Sand & Yellow Spotted monitors on red plaster sand. They can burrow in it really well & it looks natural. In the areas that I need it to hold moisture (like the nest box) I mix Kritters Crumble with it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well, sounds like I'm off to a landscaping supplies shop this weekend.

@CHRI5 - I have heard that plaster sand is very abrasive. Have you had that problem?

No issues at all. It is a 'sharp' sand, however I have a yearling Sand monitor on it that has been there since a hatchling with no issues, the adults also have no problems. It comes quite moist & takes a week or so to dry out & compact hard. If I remember I'll take a photo of the latest burrow tonight, an adult male Panoptes has dug a burrow big enough to disappear into, this is in an indoor enclosure. The sand really does hold shape well.

Thanks for all that info, that answers just about everything.
I'll be sure to grab some this weekend.

That must be a sizeable indoor enclosure for an adult male Panoptes!

Thanks for all your help mate!

They sure do love digging burrows :)

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 106
Here's that burrow. You can see that it's been carved out nicely, this is just plaster sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back