Should I be worried - Size comparison...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I thought I'd show you guys a picture each of all three of my Pythons - so you can get an idea of the size differences and why I'm worried about the smallest one, which is obviously the fussy feeder.

Jungle is about 7.5 months old - about 2ft, not sure of weight.
MDs are brother and sister, 8 months old - male is about 1 1/2ft and female is about 2 1/2ft, not sure of their weights.

IMAG0322.jpgIMAG0323.jpgIMAG0324.jpg

He was feeding pretty regularly up until the 20th of April. Then not until the 19th of June. Then he was pretty regular with feeding up until 8th of August. Nothing has changed in his environment from June until Aiugust.

I know it's cold and it's only just gone into Spring,. I just can't work out why he was feeding well for the most part and then just stopped. He looks so small and short compared to the other two.

I'm probably worrying over nothing but yeah.

PS: Has anyone else's non feeders livened up to the idea of a meal yet?

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't worry or stress over size. Its weight loss that would worry me. Until that happens, just keep doing what you are doing and don't stress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Just to reassure you: my coastal who's a great feeder has stopped eating for a while. I'm not stressed cus she's not showing any signs of hunger so no need to force it.
As soon as she perks up and starts looking around in all the gaps of my room again I'll feed her.
I've left her alone and haven't attempted a feed in a couple of weeks and she seems happy with that.

Good luck. And lets be honest it's probably a superficial thing you're concerned about anyway cus, don't know about you, but i want my snake to be the biggest on the block! haha.

Snake growth is directly related to food intake, but like many species - humans, dogs for example, some snakes are gluttons, others only eat as they need to. Nothing to worry about. It may also be a male, which affects both appetite and in some cases, the eventual size the animal will attain.

Jamie

They got anywhere to hide and chill out in a nice warm 32/34 deg spot?....my jungle has just taken its first rat in 9 weeks and my male Stimi has also just taken its first mouse since about april...not unusual at all

I know of a number of kids where the brother and sister aren't as tall as each other... remember that they are individuals, even from the same brood they can have different metobolisms, some will always be smaller or fatter or more aggressive or less active etc. If he is healthy and not losing condition I wouldn't be concerned.

They got anywhere to hide and chill out in a nice warm 32/34 deg spot?....my jungle has just taken its first rat in 9 weeks and my male Stimi has also just taken its first mouse since about april...not unusual at all

Yep, heat mat is set to 34c and during the day all three are always curled up and hardly move. Come night time they all come out of their hides and move around. That's mainly what's got me about the male who stopped eating out of no where. Nothing has changed for any of them. The other two never refuse feeds. And he wasn't either up until a certain point. Must just be a male thing. Pretty sure the other two are females.

How old are yours?.

And thanks for the reassurance guys. :)

I have 2 stimsons. A few months ago the store where I get their food changed suppliers as the original had a problem (go too hot apparently, during heatwave) & his mice all died. They kept going fine on the new supply, but when the shop went back to the original supplier, one stopped eating. I didn't realise at the time as I put it down to it being winter now & thought he was just off for a bit. Couple of months pass & he still won't touch it. Even when I caught him active & waved a freshly warmed hopper in front of him he just sniffed it a bit, then turned & slithered around it, uninterested. The other one would finish hers & his as well!

Well, the store had a different supply as well as the original last time I was there, so I got that one as I though, maybe he just doesn't like the smell of the originals. (I know I thought some of them seemed a little pungent.) Warmed it up, waved it in front of him & BAM! Tasty! Disappeared in no time. Next time I will get the same brand in the next size up. Seems he really just didn't like the smell of the others.

Thanks for the input but I don't think that's it because I always get my Rodents from the same supplier and as far as I know they haven't changed where they get theirs from.

He's never had a problem downing them (for the most part) until the 8th of August when he just stopped feeding out of no where.

I just have to keep trying and if he's hungry enough he'll eat hopefully.

Yep, heat mat is set to 34c and during the day all three are always curled up and hardly move. Come night time they all come out of their hides and move around. That's mainly what's got me about the male who stopped eating out of no where. Nothing has changed for any of them. The other two never refuse feeds. And he wasn't either up until a certain point. Must just be a male thing. Pretty sure the other two are females.

How old are yours?.

And thanks for the reassurance guys. :)
Male carpets r well known for this so I would not wry at all..... My male is 21 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back