Croc found dead, mutilated in NT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
NT police are seeking help to find whoever killed and chopped the tail off a large saltwater crocodile.
mf.gif
border="0"
|-
| valign="'middle'" |
| valign="'middle'" |
|-

a2t.img

7D1N2NwUy74

Published On: 12-Sep-12 03:57 PM
Source: via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

They are claiming it's a victim of "trophy hunters". Fair dinkum. Trophy hunters take the HEAD. Hungry Countrymen take the tail!

I agree what use is a tail as a trophy? tools.

Someone was hungry, although I am a little surprised that only the tail was taken. A lot more meat still left on the croc, though you would need to work a bit harder for it.

You may be able to answer this question Steve. Can the local mobs hunt crocs under territory law? I am guessing they would be traditional tucker in some parts.

Yep. There was a test case not long after the croc protection laws were put in place. 5 old (aboriginal) ladies found a 3 meter croc caught on a mud flat on the Tiwi Islands. They killed it with sticks, chopped it up and took it home for dinner.

Parks & Wildlife tried to prosecute them but the Judge said "If a bunch of old ladies armed with sticks can kill a 3 meter crocodile and take it home for dinner, good on them! STOP WASTING MY TIME."

No countryman has been prosecuted for killing and eating a croc in the NT since. If you or I did it though............

I agree what use is a tail as a trophy? tools.

Someone was hungry, although I am a little surprised that only the tail was taken. A lot more meat still left on the croc, though you would need to work a bit harder for it.

You may be able to answer this question Steve. Can the local mobs hunt crocs under territory law? I am guessing they would be traditional tucker in some parts.

Just incase none has replied... No countryman in either NT or northern QLD has been prosecuted for the hunting of croc for food. There have been a couple of trial cases from P&W but they were thrown out to the best of my knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. There was a test case not long after the croc protection laws were put in place. 5 old (aboriginal) ladies found a 3 meter croc caught on a mud flat on the Tiwi Islands. They killed it with sticks, chopped it up and took it home for dinner.

Parks & Wildlife tried to prosecute them but the Judge said "If a bunch of old ladies armed with sticks can kill a 3 meter crocodile and take it home for dinner, good on them! STOP WASTING MY TIME."

No countryman has been prosecuted for killing and eating a croc in the NT since. If you or I did it though............

Sorry man your reply hadnt come up until after i had posted for some reasons :S

Confirmed in today's NT News. Croc killed and tail taken for a ceremonial feast by countrymen! Toldya! :)

- - - Updated - - -

They should open up a restaurant and sell NTFE (Northern Territory Fried Echidna) ;)

That's one I havent tried. I hear it is very tasty though, "like pork". Wild croc is nice (only the farmed ones taste like chicken- it's what they're fed.) I hate dugong and saltwater turtle, all fat and green meat. Fruit bats that have been feeding on mangoes are excellent!

I remember a story my old mum in law told me; In the "old days" when a river crossing was made by a family/ group, they'd always leave an old girl at the rear carrying any pups (dogs), as the crocs would always stalk a group from behind. When a croc surfaced, the last old girl would release a pup out into the water toward the croc and problem solved.

I remember a story my old mum in law told me; In the "old days" when a river crossing was made by a family/ group, they'd always leave an old girl at the rear carrying any pups (dogs), as the crocs would always stalk a group from behind. When a croc surfaced, the last old girl would release a pup out into the water toward the croc and problem solved.

Same story from coastal Arnhem, dogs keep them busy.

I have it on good authority that they "need garlic"...

Stese is correct, if they have been having a good feed of Mangoes, they are usually pretty good as they are.

Personally i am not a fan of harvested croc meat.

Confirmed in today's NT News. Croc killed and tail taken for a ceremonial feast by countrymen! Toldya! :)

- - - Updated - - -

That's one I havent tried. I hear it is very tasty though, "like pork". Wild croc is nice (only the farmed ones taste like chicken- it's what they're fed.) I hate dugong and saltwater turtle, all fat and green meat. Fruit bats that have been feeding on mangoes are excellent!

are you serious!?!?

how can you eat those things :evil:

Last edited:
I remember having Fruit Bat in Vanuatu. Can comfortably say I would have it again if the oppertunity arose. Croc on the otherhand Im not so fond of, possibly due to (as someone pointed out) they are fed on a particular feed when farmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back