reason for regurgitation....?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpAddict

Reaction score
hi all,

my little spotted pair both ate last night, weaner mice size. then 24hrs later the male regurgitates it... havnt opened enclosure or handled or anything...

any ideas why?

cheers

my thermostat says 32ish, but im starting to doubt it. i just put a thermometer in there and its reading a few degrees low. just bump it up

If they feel they are too cold and cannot digest their food, they will regurge. They can also do this if they are handled straight after eating. (but obviously you didn't do that).

On that evidence i'd say temps are the use, but they can also regurg. if the prey is past its prime/ been thawed and refrozen. Was the weaner the first of a new batch of mice?

I don't know if it's the same for pythons but once when I didn't thaw a rodent out enough (my assumption only), my monitor regurgitated it the next day.

Your thermostat setting is not a reliable indication of desired temps and should be used in conjunction with a thermometer reading at the basking spot
As an example all my thermostats are set at 32 but basking spots are all 35-45 degrees.

As mentioned already the 3 main causes of a regurge are incorrect temps, the animal being stressed , and handling to soon after a feed.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

The mouse was slightly bigger than its last. they don't feel cold. Guessing temps are the issue. Separate click clacks. Fully thawed.

They will regurge if food items are too large, especially when they are small.

It did ! Dont panic feed it again another day !
Now everybody shoot me down !!!

Reasons I've found for regurge:

Prey too big.
Temps wrong
Internal parasites
Prey not warm enough
Handling after feed

Just wait 10 days then offer food again. Make it smaller than what they normally eat. If it was a hopper, use the next size down. Thaw for an extra 5 mins. Use a blowdryer on the head to warm it up. Do not handle after you offer for at least 24 hrs, preferably 48 hrs. Make sure your basking/belly heat is sufficient. If he/she holds down the smaller prey, offer it the same size again. After 2-3 feeds with no problems, offer normal size again.

Good rule of thumb is if yer snake is as round as a dime, offer feed that is as round as a nickel. If its as round as a nickel, feed it as big as a quarter. And so on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks everyone. I'll give him a break and try again soon. I have no idea how big them coins are, but I get your drift. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back