RSP Enclosures.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shabbyy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am getting my first python soon, a Rough Scaled Python! :). I am planning on getting a hatchie but was wandering would a 4x2x2 be to big for it? I wanted to just have 1 enclosure from a hatchie to adult.

Thanks

You're better off starting with a smaller cage, or at least a click-clack in the larger enclosure. Hatchies can get stressed in an enclosure that's too big. Doesn't happen with all snakes, but IMO not worth the risk. If it's your first, you do NOT want to be dealing with stress issues like not eating. As an adult, bigger than 4x2x2 would be ideal but you could get away with that.

im not sure on an adult size enclosure but why would you want just one enclosure for it life time? you would be best to have it in a 15L tub for the frist year them put it in that enclosure.

Ok, thanks guys. For a tub do you recommend a basking light or heat mat? Oh and what dimensions should the enclosure be for an adult?

Thanks.

Heat mat on a thermo set to about 33c covering about 1/3 of the tub, and honestly just make the cage as large as you have space for. It will likely utilize it all as it grows. Give it some space to climb, maybe some ledges in there to add extra floor space.

Heat mat on a thermo set to about 33c covering about 1/3 of the tub, and honestly just make the cage as large as you have space for. It will likely utilize it all as it grows. Give it some space to climb, maybe some ledges in there to add extra floor space.

Ok thanks, sorry I am kind of new to this, by thermo do you mean thermostat or thermometer?. Could I maybe put another tub on top of it, it it can climb much higher?

Sorry, yes, thermostat. Depends on how big they are as hatchies, I don't actually know, assuming similar to most carpet pythons though. Just a decent size plastic tub with a bit of height to it already would be fine. No need to make it difficult. Snakes aren't very fussy animals usually, we just do what we can to keep them as comfortable and feeling as secure as possible to keep them at their best. I generally run some pieces of dowel across the tub with hatchies to give them something to climb on, by just drilling a dowel-sized holes each side of the tub, run the dowel through and secure it somehow so it doesn't get knocked out giving the snake a hole to escape through.

Okay thankyou for the help :), and again sorry to bombard you with questions, but do I hook the heatmat to the thermostat?

some heat mats come with thermostat built in, some don't. With ones that don't, the heat mat will have a power cord with a plug like you plug into any normal power point, and the thermostat should be the type that has a power point slot which you plug the heat mat into, then the thermostat plugs into the wall. You place thermostat probe on the warmest bit the snake can reach, and set the temperature to ~33c.
Make sure you run it for a while with a thermometer on there just to check temps are safe and stable.

some heat mats come with thermostat built in, some don't. With ones that don't, the heat mat will have a power cord with a plug like you plug into any normal power point, and the thermostat should be the type that has a power point slot which you plug the heat mat into, then the thermostat plugs into the wall. You place thermostat probe on the warmest bit the snake can reach, and set the temperature to ~33c.
Make sure you run it for a while with a thermometer on there just to check temps are safe and stable.

Hmm, I think I might invest in a heatmat with a thermostat on it, more neat.

Thankyou so much for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

Cheers <3

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, do I leave the heat mat on over night?

Last edited:
I keep it on full time for all my snakes. In the wild they can get in to really well insulated places to avoid temperature extremes (like really cold nights) but in a cage they don't have that option.

Blake, I currently have heat cords running on most of my snakes and I disagree. Heat mats are much easier to get right.

Blake, I currently have heat cords running on most of my snakes and I disagree. Heat mats are much easier to get right.

yeah
i just find the easy to use then mats as you can yous them in a enclosure, rack or how i use mine on a pice of wood and i can heat 2 900x400x400 enclosure with i heat cord and heat cord a heaps cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah
i just find the easy to use then mats as you can yous them in a enclosure, rack or how i use mine on a pice of wood and i can heat 2 900x400x400 enclosure with i heat cord and heat cord a heaps cheap.

yeah

- - - Updated - - -

yeah

I think I'll go with a heat mat. Seems a lot more easier or simple.

Snakes don't need 24 hour heat when they are older and heat cords are easy to get right and much safer than heat mats, I definitely would not trust a heat mat with only a built in thermo. All my tubs and some enclosures are on heat cords and all sit at very stable temperatures. You can also run mu;tiple tubs off one cord. I have my rough scale juvies in 10 litre square, high decor tubs with a horizontal branch up towards the top, a bit of fake greenery, a water bowl and paper towel down on the floor. i did have hides over the hot part but they tend to never use them. Once I took them out they readily went to the floor to warm up but spend the majority of there time on the branch.

Attachments

• roughie2.jpg
    roughie2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back