RSP Enclosures.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snakes don't need 24 hour heat when they are older and heat cords are easy to get right and much safer than heat mats, I definitely would not trust a heat mat with only a built in thermo. All my tubs and some enclosures are on heat cords and all sit at very stable temperatures. You can also run mu;tiple tubs off one cord. I have my rough scale juvies in 10 litre square, high decor tubs with a horizontal branch up towards the top, a bit of fake greenery, a water bowl and paper towel down on the floor. i did have hides over the hot part but they tend to never use them. Once I took them out they readily went to the floor to warm up but spend the majority of there time on the branch.

Would heatmats be more safe with a separate thermostat? And I was going to go with a heat cord, where do I put it like the position in the cage, what temperature and how do I set it up?

Alright, if you're gonna go with cord I'll tell you how I do mine. Coil it up under a ceramic tile, place click clack on tile. Make sure there's plenty of tub off the tile so it can thermoregulate. The tile spreads the heat out.
I have a 15watt, 4.0m heatcord from herpshop, which sits at a good temp without thermostat making it an order of magnitude safer than heatcords that get very hot and need a thermostat in case the thermo breaks. I've had a snake get serious burns from a 50watt heat cord when my thermo stopped working.

Built in thermostats tend to be cheap, so you would be best off getting separate ones, herpshop online store is where I would get them.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Make sure the tile doesn't cover the whole bottom of the tub because then there'll be nowhere for the snake to cool down. Even if there's no cord directly under part of the tile, the whole thing will still be fairly warm because it's got such good heat conductivity.

IF already have the enclosure, I wouldn't worry about going out buying a smaller enclosure. Keep your little snake in a plastic tub for up to 12 months, but put the tub inside your enclosure. You can let him explore while you watch him but then close him into his tub when you can't watch him. Then when he is big enough to stay in the enclosure you can leave the familiar tub in there as a hide, for a while longer until he looks settled into his bigger, new home.

Hey guys, I am getting my first python soon, a Rough Scaled Python! :). I am planning on getting a hatchie but was wandering would a 4x2x2 be to big for it? I wanted to just have 1 enclosure from a hatchie to adult.

Thanks

Can i just ask a quick question, which state are u in? here in NSW Roughies are on an advance licence, not sure of anywhere else tho. Sucks cause i have to wait before i can get mine. :)

Make sure the tile doesn't cover the whole bottom of the tub because then there'll be nowhere for the snake to cool down. Even if there's no cord directly under part of the tile, the whole thing will still be fairly warm because it's got such good heat conductivity.

- - - Updated - - -

IF already have the enclosure, I wouldn't worry about going out buying a smaller enclosure. Keep your little snake in a plastic tub for up to 12 months, but put the tub inside your enclosure. You can let him explore while you watch him but then close him into his tub when you can't watch him. Then when he is big enough to stay in the enclosure you can leave the familiar tub in there as a hide, for a while longer until he looks settled into his bigger, new home.

I don't have a enclosure already, when I get the hatchy it gives me a good 12 months to save up and buy a good one! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Can i just ask a quick question, which state are u in? here in NSW Roughies are on an advance licence, not sure of anywhere else tho. Sucks cause i have to wait before i can get mine. :)

I am in SA, from what I remember you only need a basic license for Carpet Pythons, not too sure on this.

If there is anyone here who thinks I am wrong please correct me.

oh ok. Well i think ive read somewhere that in SA u dont even need a licence for ur first reptile. Not really sure tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back