How do you choose?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangrenous

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what do people find to be the best way to warm up your mice for feeding times?

At the moment I just drop them in hot water too defrost and heat up for a bit but Im wondering if thats the best way.

I dont even try to heat most of my stuff now. I offer it at room temp to nearly all my snakes.

same. i just put a big pot of hot water from the tap on the stove, low heat till thawed. keep the heat really low so not to cook but just save from having to change the water a few times.
as an ex gf of mine found out microwave BAD. they tent to explode

larger prey like med - large rats, I put in the fridge the night before feeding day, then warmed in a bowl of hot water from the tap, anything smaller just goes straight into hot water from the tap. Not too hot thou, particularly for pinkies and fuzzies, if its too hot to stick your hand in you could poach the smaller, delicate rodents

I was just wondering what do people find to be the best way to warm up your mice for feeding times?

At the moment I just drop them in hot water too defrost and heat up for a bit but Im wondering if thats the best way.

If he is eating then YES that is the best way. It doesn't matter how anybody else does it. Don't fix what isn't broken. The only time I'd try other ways is if he was refusing food. Then when he starts to accept, you stick to the method that he accepted.

Lots of different techniques out there but I prefer leaving mine in the fridge overnight to defrost followed by sitting out on the bench until they are room temp (2 to 3 hours) before feeding. The only agreed upon methods will always be that they are not frozen or piping hot when fed to your critters.

Lots of different techniques out there but I prefer leaving mine in the fridge overnight to defrost followed by sitting out on the bench until they are room temp (2 to 3 hours) before feeding. The only agreed upon methods will always be that they are not frozen or piping hot when fed to your critters.

Sometimes really hot ones are the best to get hatchies feeding.

Just put mouse or rat in the cup filled up with warm water for a hr then put in hot running water until yr hand can't handle the hot then feed yr python they will smash them when there heat on them :)

I used to just defrost in a warm water but now i just defrost them to room temp and my bredl's still takes them without a problem

Most thaw out there mice/rats in a bucket/container of hot tap water then dry them off a little and then feed them to there snakes

I thaw them out by placing them near one of the snakes heat lamps(infrared 100w/150w) and putting a foam dome around it, so it insulates the mouse/rat and then they thaw out nicely, the snakes seem to love it that way.

I reckon hot water will cook the rat or mice around the outside skin without knowing if u try frozen meat in hot water u will see white cooked meat around the edges but if it's doesn't effect them then it's should be ok :/ I rather use warm water but everyone different hey

Depends on if I'm pressed for time. I usually take them out of the freezer first thing in the morning, and leave them on the bench to defrost. I feed them not too long after they've reached room temp, or if the snake is a fussy one I dunk them in hot water for a minute or two.
If I don't have time to hang around all day I defrost them in a baggie in hot water.

Drying them off helps stop substrate from sticking to them if you feed in the enclosure.

I reckon hot water will cook the rat or mice around the outside skin without knowing if u try frozen meat in hot water u will see white cooked meat around the edges but if it's doesn't effect them then it's should be ok :/ I rather use warm water but everyone different hey

I have never had any issues with hot water from the tap. Boiling water will cook them, not to mention burn your snake if you offer it straight from the water, but the hottest from the tap, I have not noticed any issues and never had ill effects from any of the snakes, or lizzies.

I have never had any issues with hot water from the tap. Boiling water will cook them, not to mention burn your snake if you offer it straight from the water, but the hottest from the tap, I have not noticed any issues and never had ill effects from any of the snakes, or lizzies.

It would be funny if u want to open a rat up if it not cooked lol no worries just bring the idea how it's been done

Haha, even if it was cooked, it hasn't been gutted so it would still be pretty groce. I have pierced holes in rats before to poke worm tablet into it, and one of my wild patients squeezed the rat too hard and out came the guts, through that tiny little hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back