Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mind you my 3 are under 1200 mm long
Daryl, when your monitors are all adults (and at least one of them is male), come back and let us know how all of your training regimens are working for you regarding feeding. My guess is that your opinions will change. My pair are now 12 years old and every year it gets harder and harder to feed them without accidents - I've tried all sorts of different training regimens over the years, too, trust me. Lol. The training works until it's a hot day and they're both hungry, then the thin veneer of 'civility' brought on by training regimens disappears.

Hey; one of my mates has a lacie juvie (few weeks old). He fed it a pinkie mouse last night, and it was going crazy looking for another one.. I dont know much about this species, but i was wondering how much people feed their juvies?

- ybn

Hey; one of my mates has a lacie juvie (few weeks old). He fed it a pinkie mouse last night, and it was going crazy looking for another one.. I dont know much about this species, but i was wondering how much people feed their juvies?

ybn

Not much nutritional value in Pinkies; I'd be offering an adult mouse/ small chick or quail chopped into bite sized pieces. One item per day at that age. Much more nutritional value and you'd be suprised how quickly it vanishes.

Make sure your mate has a good hot spot (50c +) then sit back and watch it grow like a weed:)!

You put the food in their bowel ??? I don't think I have heard of that method of feeding before!!! I'm really hoping you meant bowl lol

It's a very invasive process but it works haha. Dictionary on the phone would be a good excuse but it comes down to my bad spelling :)

Lacies are never full ;)

Yes, usually (if you let them) they will eat until they can't fit anymore in, and they have a bloated/swollen gut. Personally, I don't like to pump mine full of food like that, and keep things in moderation.

Usually, yes, but not always. By placing the bowel in of an early morning prior to their basking they dont have a feeding response that's as enthusiastic and dangerous. My animals actually 'graze' on the food. They wake up 'cold', venture out and see the food, maybe have a chicken or mouse and then go bask. Once they warm up a little they go back down and have a bit more and than go bask again. They may do this several times before all the food is gone. I have no issues of the fighting for the food or grabbing food out of the others mouth etc. I honestly think they are smart enough to know that there's enough here for two and we don't need to fight over it because if I was to throw a chicken or two at them when they are hot, they'd go absolutely nuts! In regards to eating until they can't fit anymore, sometimes I'll put 10 mice in a bowel with 4 small chickens (not that much for two adult lacies) and it may just get pecked at for two days before it's all gone. If you look at some of the pics I've posted on the threads you'll see that they are nice and healthy, definitely not fat and over weight like some others you see pics of. It may be different to the 'norm' but it's worked for me so far.

- - - Updated - - -

You put the food in their bowel ??? I don't think I have heard of that method of feeding before!!! I'm really hoping you meant bowl lol

It's a very invasive process but it works haha. Dictionary on the phone would be a good excuse but it comes down to my bad spelling :)

Lacies are never full ;)

Yes, usually (if you let them) they will eat until they can't fit anymore in, and they have a bloated/swollen gut. Personally, I don't like to pump mine full of food like that, and keep things in moderation.

Usually, yes, but not always. By placing the bowel in of an early morning prior to their basking they dont have a feeding response that's as enthusiastic and dangerous. My animals actually 'graze' on the food. They wake up 'cold', venture out and see the food, maybe have a chicken or mouse and then go bask. Once they warm up a little they go back down and have a bit more and than go bask again. They may do this several times before all the food is gone. I have no issues of the fighting for the food or grabbing food out of the others mouth etc. I honestly think they are smart enough to know that there's enough here for two and we don't need to fight over it because if I was to throw a chicken or two at them when they are hot, they'd go absolutely nuts! In regards to eating until they can't fit anymore, sometimes I'll put 10 mice in a bowel with 4 small chickens (not that much for two adult lacies) and it may just get pecked at for two days before it's all gone. If you look at some of the pics I've posted on the threads you'll see that they are nice and healthy, definitely not fat and over weight like some others you see pics of. It may be different to the 'norm' but it's worked for me so far.

Thankyou IV, im glad someone with your knowledge replied.
I know this will vary greatly, but around how big will they be, say around 12 months?

(massive off topic) also around how big will spencers be?

- ybn

Thankyou IV, im glad someone with your knowledge replied.
I know this will vary greatly, but around how big will they be, say around 12 months?

(massive off topic) also around how big will spencers be?

- ybn

Less to do with being knowledgable and more along the lines of common sense, I think, but thanks for the compliment:).

Not one I'd like to call regarding size at 12 months. From my experience, it does vary greatly, some of the variables being food intake, temps, wether they're allowed a period of brumation in their first few years and gender. Of course, there are others also. As an example, here's a comparison of a then 6 month old male Lacie with a 4.5 year old female. He's now a few months older and virtually the same size.

Attachments

• scale 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    scale 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 126
my boy is about 2 and a half years old , and his been outside for around 9 months .. and he seems to be doing great out there .

I'm curious as to how your monitor handles the weather outside in Melbourne? I'm from ballarat and eventually would like to do the same I think it may have to be half and half though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back