Substrate Coir peat!!! Have i bought the right one!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't really allowed to advertise on here mate but if you're a genuine Aussie company you deserve some support IMO.
Where can you buy your stuff? Is it available at garden shops and places like Bunnings?

Where can you buy your stuff? Is it available at garden shops and places like Bunnings?

Bunnings mate, in the seeding aisle. Near the light expanding clay aggregate (brown clay ball things) Although i just started working there so i will make sure they still stock it on my next shift

checked the bunnings here at burleigh heads and they dont stock it :evil:

But a tread the other day was on about the co co peat now we on about Coir peat?? What's preferred ... Sezzzz think u were in on the co co peat thread?

But a tread the other day was on about the co co peat now we on about Coir peat?? What's preferred ... Sezzzz think u were in on the co co peat thread?

cant remember the thread that you mean ozimid, but quite possibly.

i have used both and they both work fine. the coco peat is just not as fine which i prefer.

i was told by bunnings last time that they had discontinued the coir peat blocks.

I used it years ago in agricultural practices (have done Ag Sc degree) and Co Co or coir peat are exactly the same.
If you are hard up for it I get mine from K-Mart at present time but in a bind and for a bit extra your local hydro shop will never let you down.
The good brands are steam disinfected so my advice is to stay away from the cheaper brands which can be recognised by excess amounts of sand and other contaminants like large pieces of wood and plastic as well as any that have been fortified with nutrients. At your local inside gardening (hydro) center they should also have pre-expanded bags.

I used it years ago in agricultural practices (have done Ag Sc degree) and Co Co or coir peat are exactly the same..
there made from the same thing (coconut husks) but they arnt the same product , co co peat is a hell of alot finer than its sister coir , coir has stringy fibres in it and larger chunks whilst co co peat is very fine and consistent , not exactly the same but very similar (have completed horticulture cert 3 myself)

well once again, Bunnings staff have proved that they dont know what they do and dont sell.... sent hubby off today with instructions to get the big bag of bark, and he comes home with the bricks of coir peat that they supposedly don't stock any more!!! lmao. Yes it was the same bunnings that told me it had been discontinued!!!!

well once again, Bunnings staff have proved that they dont know what they do and dont sell.... sent hubby off today with instructions to get the big bag of bark, and he comes home with the bricks of coir peat that they supposedly don't stock any more!!! lmao. Yes it was the same bunnings that told me it had been discontinued!!!!
yep most of them dont have a clue , when you said they had been discontinued i got all worried went a bought 2 baskets full :) asked one of the workers though and they said they weren't aware of them being discontinued and they still stocked it last time i was in there

seen these coir peat bricks for a while at work (there under $2 ea) and always wondered about them being reptile safe. Then about 2 weeks ago when i went to the pet shop i see exo terra $20 brick that is exactly the same. Any way brought a brick last night so im going to try it out see if i enjoy working with it.
Also bunnings had a good 50 bricks when i was there ;)

Ive been using it for the last 6months + for my 4year old snakes all the way down to hatchies. Never had a problem the only thing I dont like is making the damn stuff! Soaking it then squeezing it dry with your hands gets old real quick. I make up about 7 bricks at once for all my cages. ( there all pretty big ) But I love it and so do my snakes.

i just did my first brick :) would be a pain i think you can get like a mega brick from bunnings

the only thing I dont like is making the damn stuff! Soaking it then squeezing it dry with your hands gets old real quick.
i did the same as you did on my first attempt and it got me thinking that there had to be an easier way the following process works really well for me so may be worth a try
get yourself an old towel , lay it out flat on the ground and pile up a long skinny pile sort of thing on the towel , then fold the towel over so it covers the peat and start twisting it up like you do when you make a "kangaroo tail" to whip someone with a wet towel ( yes im childish i still do it even at 20 :) )

i found that if i put my foot on one end i am able to get a real twist happening , this allows you to do a hell of alot more peat in one go and also imo gets it drier than you can with your hands but is dependant on how much you twist it , and you will need to twist the towel after each pile of peat to get the best results
also dont use as much water as the packet says i use around half the recommended amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back