Male Jag Attacks Female Jag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin_john

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has come across a male attacking a female when introduced for breeding? My male jag inflicted a lot of damage, 19 stitches in total.

[ Liking your own post using a fake account]

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are confirmed sexes, she has had 3 clutches and he has sired 7, to different mates, thats why the vet and I were so shocked

Owch man....thats a bit of a disheartning situation! Won't be trying that again any time soon I take it.

Good luck next time

Was the female proven. Sounds like 2 males to me

Yes she is proven she has had 3 clutches.

- - - Updated - - -

Owch man....thats a bit of a disheartning situation! Won't be trying that again any time soon I take it.

Good luck next time

You're not wrong mate, I gave the male away to a friend as a pet ( not for breeding )

wow.. maybe she wouldnt put out???

lol im joking( of course) violence against women is VERY wrong!.. even if she is a snake

Why are you trying to breed two jags together in the first place?
Completely heartless, everyone knows the out come

wow.. maybe she wouldnt put out???

lol im joking( of course) violence against women is VERY wrong!.. even if she is a snake

LOL no means no

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you trying to breed two jags together in the first place?
Completely heartless, everyone knows the out come

Is that right is it? well seems to me that the clutch of albino jag on albino jag I had last season came out just fine, owe and then there was the clutch of bredli jag on jungle jag. How about we stick on topic yeah

Have YOU paired them previously or did you buy them as adults? Did you, with your own eyes, see the '3 clutches'? Have you sexed them yourself? Did you witness the attack? Had you feed them recently and there was a possibility of the smell of rat still present on her (is there any chance it was a feeding response)?

So jag x jag pairing are fine these days?

Same number of jags but less sibs to get rid of. Technically you end up with 2/3 of the surviving young as jags and a few less mouths to feed. Dont try to mix breeding defective hybrids and morals, they dont belong together ;)

enlighten me then , with all your expertise on the matter you must have to make a comment like "its completely heartless"

Don't know if you're actually asking because you don't know or if you are just trying to gang up on her with the rest but jag x jag produces leucies, some of which can survive for a short time with fatal neuro issues. Some of the more sensitive people consider this cruel because you're knowingly producing animals with a fatal, possible painful, condition for their very short lives.
I'm personally on Jason's side of the fence in that it just means less sibs to try to feed/house/sell but I'm assuming these are the reasons some people would consider it "heartless".

Have YOU paired them previously or did you buy them as adults? Did you, with your own eyes, see the '3 clutches'? Have you sexed them yourself? Did you witness the attack? Had you feed them recently and there was a possibility of the smell of rat still present on her (is there any chance it was a feeding response)?

I have had both snakes since hatchlings, and all clutches were mine, they have been paired together before, but her last two clutches have been to someone else. Both myself and the reptile vet sexed her because that was his first thought too.

No recent feeding because of winter cooling.

I put the male in the females enclosure and then went for a shower, while i was in there was a very loud smash, thinking someone was breaking in to my house I jumped out of the shower to investigate, when i entered my reptile room they had smashed the glass and the male was wrapped around the female just like ritual combat between two males, I grabbed the male to pull him out and then he bit the female just behind her head. It took me around 4 mins to get him out of there.

From inspection from the vet she had 4 large cuts down her back, two from being bitten and two from what seems to be from the male smashing her on to the branch I have in there.

Everyone I have spoken to was baffled as to why this has happened.

- - - Updated - - -

you should research before you offer an opinion...

Don't know if you're actually asking because you don't know or if you are just trying to gang up on her with the rest but jag x jag produces leucies, some of which can survive for a short time with fatal neuro issues. Some of the more sensitive people consider this cruel because you're knowingly producing animals with a fatal, possible painful, condition for their very short lives.
I'm personally on Jason's side of the fence in that it just means less sibs to try to feed/house/sell but I'm assuming these are the reasons some people would consider it "heartless".

Most clutches I have had from Jag on Jag breeding about %75 of the clutch survives with very few sibs.
I do not like breeding wild types with Jags because I like to keep pure lines pure.

i do know about the leucistic thing , i was more asking what makes her think that it is completely heartless , if its about the few leucies dying than thats cool i don't find it completely heartless myself though but i can see how some do

Are you sure the cuts weren't just from the broken glass which may have freaked him out and caused the bite and 'combat' that you witnessed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back