Male Jag Attacks Female Jag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be very disconcerting for you I'm shocked.
Maybe he's a particularly ferocious lover. Or thinks he was a lion and was trying to hold her neck down.

Hope she's ok and cudos for not tempting fate and trying to breed him again.

Is that right is it? well seems to me that the clutch of albino jag on albino jag I had last season came out just fine, owe and then there was the clutch of bredli jag on jungle jag. How about we stick on topic yeah

is that right? Ask simon stone who was the most advanced along this path of rpm/jag het albino when the first albino jag was actually bred.. 13-11-2011 I recall and I know the breeder very well..

so your breeding ADULT albino jag to ADULT albino jag last year is in my opinion incorrect Im sorry.. you may have bred "reduced pattern albinos" (but these arer not co-dominant mutations) so post up some pics please especially of your albino jags and their clutch hatching. thanks

Last edited:
no adult or hatchling albino jags though craig..

Im just curious about these adult albino jag pair that were said to breed last year.

Im sure Oliver Vaes (Prescision Reptiles) who was credited as the first person (or one of the first) to breed an albino jag on the planet would be interested too.

Nice one, did you breed the albinos?

no i got them on a breeder on here. this would be my first breeding season

Last edited:
The 2010-2011 season was my first for breeding albino darwins in reply to a question I was asked. And also if you note the fact that the post states some of my breeding stock and hatches.
I purchased a pair of Het for abino Jags at the end of 2010.

Now can we stay on topic

- - - Updated - - -

you should research before you offer an opinion...

This would be very disconcerting for you I'm shocked.
Maybe he's a particularly ferocious lover. Or thinks he was a lion and was trying to hold her neck down.

Hope she's ok and cudos for not tempting fate and trying to breed him again.

LoL I guess she said no to the whips and chains

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the OP it can happen, which is why you always need to watch snakes when they are put together. It is not common but if the male is a bit nutty (bad day) or occasionally if the male smells another male on the female. e.g. if the female was with another male very recently. I think it is more common in Antaresia spp. but either way it is always something to watch for. Much more common is the female trying to eat the male, and of course males fighting.

Really not that much different to humans that way. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes it doesn't.

Regarding the OP it can happen, which is why you always need to watch snakes when they are put together. It is not common but if the male is a bit nutty (bad day) or occasionally if the male smells another male on the female. e.g. if the female was with another male very recently. I think it is more common in Antaresia spp. but either way it is always something to watch for. Much more common is the female trying to eat the male, and of course males fighting.

Really not that much different to humans that way. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes it doesn't.

Finally something constructive.
Thank you that really helps, I had another male in with her about a week earlier with no observed mating.
Wont be doing that again

This has been very interesting so far, especially the part about the scent of another male on a female. I will make sure I never do that with my new Gammon pair.

This has been very interesting so far, especially the part about the scent of another male on a female. I will make sure I never do that with my new Gammon pair.

Maby you could bath your snakes to remove smell !!! Or spray a nice perfume ;) ,,,,, this is the great thing about Aussie you can always learn new things

My Gammons haven't done anything at all to each other yet. I'd explained to Diane over at SXR why I had to put them together temporarily, but now after reading this thread I will be watching them even more...just in case...so far all they are doing is cramming both their bodies into one hide or another, not in each of the seperate ones I provided for them. Hopefully my luck will continue and nothing like what happened to the Jags will happen for me.

My Gammons haven't done anything at all to each other yet. I'd explained to Diane over at SXR why I had to put them together temporarily, but now after reading this thread I will be watching them even more...just in case...so far all they are doing is cramming both their bodies into one hide or another, not in each of the seperate ones I provided for them. Hopefully my luck will continue and nothing like what happened to the Jags will happen for me.
And nothing will happen between them.Confused as to the reason for original post, but I did once see a Jag crash into a Hybrid at an intersection....
Hmmmmm!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its quite common for male cobras to kill females if they try to mate and find shes already gravid

Although you didnt observe a mating the week before
maybe they were sneaky and quick??

Check the female
She may be preggers

FWIW, I seem to recall Simon Stone telling me that this happened to him once (a male attacking a female), the male apparently smelled the scent of another male on the female... or something like that.

Have seen it with 2 GTP's, male was on a breeding loan. Ended up with 19 stitches or some such, made for a nice scar and healed up perfectly. This was back in the day when a pair of GTP's would set you back $40grand as well....

Mmm Longqi's right. If you had her with another male only a week ago you may have missed the "occasion". She may actually be gravid, it just may not be very noticeable as it was only a week ago. You may have some possible hatchies approaching. :shock: Lucky you got outta the shower before he possibly killed her. I can just imagine you hearing a loud crash then applying naked ninja skill to save yo snake! On a serious note, good that she's ok. Could have been worse. Particularly if she is gravid from the previous male, you could have lost all the eggs. Good job saving her.

FWIW, I seem to recall Simon Stone telling me that this happened to him once (a male attacking a female), the male apparently smelled the scent of another male on the female... or something like that.

Fair enough, but what happens in the case where breeders will cycle multiple males over a female, or when they use the scent of another male to induce a better breeding response?

so long as you wash or bathe the female there are few problems
Same as if males are introduced to the female one after the other on the same day
But if the female is actually gravid it can be a different story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back