It's warming up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roobars

Banned
Reaction score
Now that it is starting to warm up, my snakes have a big appetite! Going to have to increase food size dramatically or this will cost me a fortune :D literally fed 7 snakes $60 worth of rodents, they ate 4x the normal amount.

Family have been looking after my snakes and they have been throwing food away because they were not eating the second offering. Maybe they know daddy is home ;)

Whats the step between wiener mice and adults? Can't seem to find it on any supplier, but the physical size difference is huge :0

umm small adult mice maybe? large fuzzy rats are probably the closest to being something between weaner and adult mice size

just wondering, and your post seemed to be quite relevant to this, how much is too much? I have a 8 month old stimmi that lovesss her food. I usually give her two fuzzy mice every 6 days but if she is willing to eat more (which i am certain that she is) should i give her more? as in increasing the amount she eats at one time, not the time between feeds that is (or should it be the other way around)
I don't want to overfeed, but is it even possible to overfeed a young snake?

just wondering, and your post seemed to be quite relevant to this, how much is too much? I have a 8 month old stimmi that lovesss her food. I usually give her two fuzzy mice every 6 days but if she is willing to eat more (which i am certain that she is) should i give her more? as in increasing the amount she eats at one time, not the time between feeds that is (or should it be the other way around)

Snakes are predators and will eat when food is offered (Incase they go weeks without prey) so you must be careful not to over feed, Depending on the size 1 mouse every 7 - 12 days is the regular. I only offer multiple mice if they are smaller then what my pythons feeding on and try to make it equivilant to what they would eat if i were only to give them one.

Hope this has helped

Every 7-12 days is probably not enough for a growing snake. When they're young they want to eat as much as possible for maximm growth. You can't overfed a young growing snake, if they're hungry they'll eat, if not, they won't.

You're probably better off increaseing the food size than giving multiple items. Yearling antaresia can easily be on small adult mice if fed consistantly.

yeah i thought that 7-12 days seemed a bit of a longer period than what I have been told :/ somebody on here once said feed every 5 days for under 6 months, every 6 days for under 12 months then every seven days until they are 24 months (then reducing to every two weeks) and that seemed pretty spot on to me. so yeah i think that i'll stick to every six days until she is 12 months old but try to increase the size of what i'm giving her. the size i'm giving her atm seems right to me (about 2 or 3 times the size of her head) but i'll try her on the next size up as soon as i've run out of my current size (several more feedings worth)
being a newbie to this its hard to get my head around what a snake can get their head around! haha.
thanks for your help :)

She should almost be able to eat a hopper rat. Try her on a fuzzie rat. That should do her (depending on her size) every 7-10 days :)

Well yes snakes that havent eaten for a while will require bigger food items try and find someone that breeds rats or moce or maybe breed your own there very exspensive from pet stores
there is no other size between weiner and adult you go weiner small,medium,large adult as far as I am awareView attachment 265469

So true Roobars! Exciting isn't it?
Last night my coastal, who hadn't eaten in 3 weeks, exploded out of her tank to grab the rat before giving me a chance to offer it, I'm glad i bought me them extra long tongs this time round.
And the jump in size may be scary for us but trust me...they don't mind.
I went from med to large rats recently and was so nervous but she didn't have a problem with it at all.

I have 2 of this yrs stimi hatchies and one of mine was a fussy eater and has just gone on to 2 x fuzzies every 5 days ...but my other that im pushing along abit due to maybe an early breeder...she takes 2 x hoppers ( soon to up to weaners) every 5/6 days

I have 2 of this yrs stimi hatchies and one of mine was a fussy eater and has just gone on to 2 x fuzzies every 5 days ...but my other that im pushing along abit due to maybe an early breeder...she takes 2 x hoppers ( soon to up to weaners) every 5/6 days

yeah she didn't eat for a month or so when i first brought her to my house (she was kept at my boyfriends) so i think she may be slightly smaller than what she could be. but these days i never have any trouble with her feeding so i'm definitely gonna try her on a size up now, thanks for all your suggestions guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back