ALMA PARK ZOO? anyone been recently?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went about a year ago for the second time. it's on the outskirts of Brisbane but I know that they're moving to Logan to expand and because some hugely rich bastard wants to flatten the gardens (it was originally a botanical garden) and put a huge housing estate on top. If you go see the water buffalo, you can see all the development being built pretty much next to them. It's not a huge zoo, but some of the animals are gorgeous. We spent about four hours there. I think it's worth the money :)

The relocation is not happening anymore, I can't remember the exact reason. I went a month or so ago and my kids loved it, the park was slightly downsized at the time because they were holding off building new things in anticipation of the possible relocation. I was a little disappointed with the reptile part of the zoo (no elapids and a few reptiles on breeding loan) but overall it was not bad for the price but not really a full day.

Hey Sez:) if your heading to the sunshine coast then do a little detour to Childers & check out Snakes Downunder. I havn't been:( but I've heard that it's a great reptile park so it might be worth a visit.It's a couple of hours north of Nambour.

Hey Sez:) if your heading to the sunshine coast then do a little detour to Childers & check out Snakes Downunder. I havn't been:( but I've heard that it's a great reptile park so it might be worth a visit.It's a couple of hours north of Nambour.

Damn. Google says 4.5 hrs from Surfers. :(

lol! thats not a little detour!!! unfortunately we'll have to depend on friends and family for transport, so sort of can only go as far as they are willing.

There are a few other options for zoo's around brisbane that no one seems to have mentioned. Probably because they are relatively small compared to the big zoos like Alma park and Australia zoo.

There is a small collection of animals at the information center (Walkabout creek visitor centre) at the beginning of Brisbane forest park in the western suburbs of Brisbane (close to mt Nebo and Mt Glorious if you are into picnics or bushwalks). Although it is a small collection of all natives i have always been very impressed with their marsupial collection including very nice setup for many nocturnal animals. Its certainly not a full day outing but is great when combined with a picnic and small bushwalk and best of all its very cheap, last time i was there i think it was less than $10 for an adult. It may have changed but last time i was there there was a walk through aviary with a small section of birds, a quoll, wallabies, platypus, gliders, wombat, some frogs, water dragon, red belly black, death adder, lung fish, freshwater turtle (albagula i think), some geckos or small skinks i think, bandicoots, i think there was a few other things as well but its a while ago that i last went so it may have changed and i could be remembering wrong. Anyway, its not a huge collection but it is a very good range of natives and for that price worth visiting if you go anywhere near Brisbane forest park.
Walkabout Creek (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

the other 'zoo' is Lone pine koala sanctuary in Fig tree pocket, which is bigger than walkabout creek but not as big as the other zoos, it also focuses on native animals but has a lot more range. They and a great range of animals and a decent reptile house which from memory is not huge but still enough to satisfy my need for reptiles, also have crocodiles and monitors which walkabout creek doesn't. I also really liked their shows, I went to a sheep dog show and the raptor show and both were very entertaining. Easily a full day outing when i was last there, which was before the brisbane floods so things may have changed as they did get flooded. Anyway, I really like going there and its closer than the other zoo being located close-ish to the center of brisbane. They are $33 for an adult $80 for a family
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary - Since 1927

i'm sure you'd have a great time no matter which zoo you went too. Enjoy!!! :-D

Last edited:
if you want to limit travel and going to be on the gold coast why not just go to currumbin wildlife? got a reptile section and an outdoor fresh & salt water croc exhibit (with feeding displays in the right season). not a bad day out and a lot cheaper than aus zoo.

fleays is a bit run down. last time i went wasn't much to see really.

We are heading up next week for a couple of weeks with my Mum and Dad at Mt Tamborine. It will be the first time in ages that we will all be going together so we are wanting some exciting places to take Tilly, but dreamworld/movie world/seaworld etc seems a bit overpriced to take a 3 yr old with motion sickness (so no rides for my bubba). I took her to Currumbin a couple of years ago, and she enjoyed that, but we want somewhere different this time, and i remembered (very vaguely) going to Alma Park Zoo when i was little.

Has anyone been to ALMA PARK ZOO recently? is it any good? It seems to be one of the cheaper places in the Gold Coast/Brisbane area, Everything else is soooo expensive!!!

Any other suggestions? must have animals, and if i have to go definitely reps, lol.

Thanks guys...

I've been recently. Don't expect too much but the kids LOVE IT. We just searched online and found a family voucher for $30 I think. Australia Zoo is about $55 per adult I think-Bit expensive once you add kids in there too!
We however enjoyed Alma as its still open, nice on a sunny day, you can get close to the animals, still a good petting zoo, the kids love feeding the animals. Its a decent day out for $30. Worth a look unless you want to pay X amount at Aussie Zoo for each person

the other 'zoo' is Lone pine koala sanctuary in Fig tree pocket, which is bigger than walkabout creek but not as big as the other zoos, it also focuses on native animals but has a lot more range. They and a great range of animals and a decent reptile house which from memory is not huge but still enough to satisfy my need for reptiles, also have crocodiles and monitors which walkabout creek doesn't. I also really liked their shows, I went to a sheep dog show and the raptor show and both were very entertaining. Easily a full day outing when i was last there, which was before the brisbane floods so things may have changed as they did get flooded. Anyway, I really like going there and its closer than the other zoo being located close-ish to the center of brisbane. They are $33 for an adult $80 for a family
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary - Since 1927

i'm sure you'd have a great time no matter which zoo you went too. Enjoy!!! :-D

i had forgotten about lone pine.

- - - Updated - - -

if you want to limit travel and going to be on the gold coast why not just go to currumbin wildlife? got a reptile section and an outdoor fresh & salt water croc exhibit (with feeding displays in the right season). not a bad day out and a lot cheaper than aus zoo.

fleays is a bit run down. last time i went wasn't much to see really.

we went there a year ago, so i wanted to try somewhere new, but have found some awesome vouchers online, so it may be currumbin yet. i found currumbin to be great, not too expensive and plenty to see.

- - - Updated - - -

thank you. i had been looking for the nsme of that one. haver you been?

its ***** was there couple of months ago hardly any animals animals that were there looked like they were in jail enclosures were horrid its not well presented at all was a huge waste of money even tho i got half price tickets

Go to australia zoo, worth the money, been there twice !

I can beat that ;) been there 6 times :D... although only once in the last 10 years. Went a lot before it got more expensive, expanded and changed its name. Although it is expensive i do think its worth doing at least once, their enclosures are big and well designed to try and make the animals happy as well as allow them to be viewed by visitors. As much as I love reptiles my favourite animals at Australia Zoo are the otters... they are great to watch at feeding time.

- - - Updated - - -

its ***** was there couple of months ago hardly any animals animals that were there looked like they were in jail enclosures were horrid its not well presented at all was a huge waste of money even tho i got half price tickets

I'm guessing your talking about the darling downs zoo? I hadn't even hear of it before now and i have lived in brisbane most of my life.... Going by their website they are struggling to get enough money and time to get around to all the things on their to do list.

Daisy Hill Koala centre is nice, a little boring lol but i reckon your little girl would love it.They have picnic areas and walk tracks and best of all its free :)

I can beat that ;) been there 6 times :D... although only once in the last 10 years.
luckyy !!! Steve Irwin is my number one idol, even on top of Benji Marshall !!, i read his whole book 3 or 4 times i loved it !! watched his show all the timee, the first time i went was a week after he died :( and the last time was two years ago next trip up to QLD ill be going to aussie zoo!!

If you want a freebie (as well as very pleasant day out) All sorts of wildlife including reptiles.

Go to Queens Nature Park in Ipswich....nice gardens and a great restaurant to revive yourself afterwards. There's a conversvation centre beside the restaurant too.

It's very kid friendly...you can't go wrong.

LOL. So much for "relaxation", eh ?

Walkabout creek is lovely but not really a full day out. Last time we were there we coupled it with a few deer farms that are in the area too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back