Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my jungles attitude, not snappy anymore, just a little defensive when I go to get her out, then she's fine, cruises around and alot more energetic I guess, compared to my Bredli that is.

Go for the Olive! They do get large but are an absolute joy to own.. I can promise you'll never regret it! Unless it's a grumpy one of course... ha.

I wouldn't place any one of my 2 dozen or so carpets above the other, I would recommend any of the breeds, but go for something thats placid and easy to handle if thats what you want

Olives I love their personality, for such a large snake they have the temperament of a children's, well mine do anyway.
I do have all different sizes 1 at 3m 1 at 2.5 and 1 at 1.5m but when it comes to feed time, how can I put! They love there food.

Why do people always look past the proserpine coastal. Good size, beautiful looking and so placid

The speed they grow depends on the amount and the frequency you feed them. They can start out in tubs just like any other species, when they are larger a 6x2x2 is usually enough. They are amazing animals to own, sad that I only have 1 at the moment!

how quickly to they grow and what size enclosure would one need??

Like Blakehose said, size and growth rate can depend heavily on how you feed them. As a comparison, I know two year old olives who are 5-6ft (about average?), 8ft and 2ft. The 2ft one is my girl who was being fed 40g rats less than once a month by her previous owner. After three months of steady feeding every 2 weeks, she has gone from 320g and 0.7m long to 650g and 1.3m long. You'll end up needing a BIG enclosure for them though!! A 6ft long one should last quite a few years before you'll need an upgrade...and then you have a spare enclosure for another snake =D
Olives are amazing though, definitely my favourite python. So full of character, very gentle (just be careful around feeding time) and such characters!!

I had a Stimson, and like you, I wanted something bigger for my next one. I chose a Murray Darling, she's so friendly, inquisitive, great feeder, growing well, never bitten or striked at anyone. I would suggest a MD. They're just wonderful, and very pretty!

I wouldn't recommend a diamond in Queensland, especially not in summer. Unless you're willing to keep the place it's enclosure is going to be constantly air conditioned, it would be far too hot for one. I'm a fan of water pythons, but if you want something "chill" I would recommend an MD or a coastal. There's nothing wrong with a nice looking coastal at all. Bredlis are cool too, of course, I just like coastals more hehe.

Jungles are okay too, but in general they're not robust like coastals or bredlis. They tend to be nervous and picky, requiring more work to keep them happy then a good ol' coastal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back