Urgent help!!!!!! Quail problem!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatmeworry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, fed my carpet pythons like half an hour ago. Both are the same size but the quail (or chicken - cant remember) is a little bit large for my liking, although the lady at All thins slimey told me it was all good when i showed her a picture of them.

The girl was worrying me for a bit but seems to have taken care of it fine. The male however has attacked it from the bum up - so instead of gradually speading its mouth its gone to one of the thicher parts straight away!! Im really worried that its gonna hurt itself, it hasnt made any progress and im not sure how to take it off so that it can go from the tail end again...

Please its quite urgent that I et some help on this!!!!!

It appears your current mood isn't matching your username right now :p.
I wouldn't worry. If it can't get it down then it will keep looking till it finds a narrower part that it can get its gob around. It won't rip it's jaw off if it won't fit

If he can't eat it, he'll spit it back out and probably try again.

When I fed my Bhp her first rabbit, I was unsure, the weight of the item was ok, but the size of it was worrying.
Her head is a bit bigger than an average thumb but the rabbit was about the size of mens 8 shoe lol.

She actually ate it backwards but took almost two hours.

You should be fine ;)

If the quail is as thick or thinner then the thickest part of the pythons body, then don't worry, that's a good size.

I wouldn't be worried about it eating it from the wrong end, if he feels he can't take it, he will stop or reposition. Their instincts are pretty good when it comes to this sort of thing.

Sometimes they will just sit there for half an hour (sometimes longer) with the food item in their mouths. Don't worry they will sort it out.

Taking it off him might require a bit of force. If you do take it off him, he might freak out and not eat at all tonight.

HI guys!!! All looks pretty good now, thanks for your help! past the main chunk of it, only real concern now is that he is red where its usually a creamy white (maybe from pressure) and that doing it backwards may have the beak scratching his throat............ nothing I can do now, hes pretty much swallowed all of it!

It appears your current mood isn't matching your username right now :p.

lol!! so damn true....ive been stressing for the past couple of hours, cos the beak part was really sticking out in the girl before the boy had even started swallowing!

...only real concern now is that he is red where its usually a creamy white (maybe from pressure)...

Is it actually red or more pink? Some Carpets "blush" during feeding (I guess from something like excitement?) and it's really noticeable on the lighter parts. I used to have a Diamond who went really bright. Scared the crap outta me the first couple of times

Actually scratch that, I am concerned considering one half of his mouth is hanging and hasnt reconnected to the rest of his jaw!

He should relocate with a couple of big yawns once he's gotten his meal down

Don't worry about that red colour, it's just the blood showing through after being stretched. Some snakes, like diamond pythons, will do this when they get excited from the smell of food. Think of it like their blushing.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn saximus, you beat me to it lol

Last edited:
ok thanks guys, I really appreciate it. And yea he is half diamond so that explains what you said for blushing/stretching............Also thanks for the heads up on the yawning. You guys have been awesome, and just so helpful!

A lot of species will do it. My spotteds do it even, so him being a diamond doesn't have anything to do it :p Don't worry about them taking things backwards. If they can, they will. If not, they stop and reposition. If you feel the quail may have been a little big, just give him some extra heat for a couple of days and leave him alone. It should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back