live feeding opinons on weither it makes our friends more aggressive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhamMagsBaird89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have only just got into herping and I have a b&g and a coastal my coastal didn't like eating thawed so last night I gave him a handfull of live fuzzy mice (he usually eats weaners so I thought a few would be betotter. Well anyways long story short I got a mate trying to tell me that cause I'm feed lived that he's going to go all aggresisive all The time has anyone feed and had this trouble or is it my mates trying to get me to not feed live. Also I demon my coastal enjoys the hunt as I scatter them in small hides for him to discover (knowing they are to small for a fight)

doesnt like and will not eat are differnt things.. live feeding is cruel to the prey item and is quite frowned apon and used as a last resort. id go with your mates advice and feed thawed and if not try freshly killed..

It's cruel and unnecessary. And they might be "too small for a fight" right now, but if he gets used to it and refuses to eat thawed rats for the rest of his life, they're certainly going to be big enough to cause him some damage.
Live feeding should be an absolute last resort, and is usually only necessary for wild caught animals. Not onlythat, but unless it is absolutely necessary, I believe (depending on where you are) that it may actually be illegal.
Also, proof read. Maybe try to use some grammar, and words that make sense together. It was quite difficult to decipher your post.

+1 to getting it onto thawed food. There are plenty of methods to try before having to resort to live food as a last option. Plenty of folks with experience will probably gladly offer suggestions on how to go about it if you ask for help.
Feeding live because it's cool, easy or relatively safe - for the moment - doesn't mean it's right or a good thing to do.
Prepare to be flamed for feeding live, too. :(

I was checking out peoples reptile collections on youtube and came across this one.
Reptile Room Collection/Update and Feeding - YouTube
It's an american vid.
The guys shows you his reptiles and feeds them. He feeds them live animals. He stuns the mice (they are still alive and moving tho) and he chucks a live quail into one of the pythons. Then the worst thing. He picks up a little fluffy grey bunny (alive and still young) then chucks it into a big pythons enclosure. then the python constricts it and you can hear the rabbit squealing! Holy $&#@ I couldn't watch. Made me so angry and sick!
Never feed live food IMO. It's dangerous and cruel. Go with what every one else said. It's not right. Even if they eat live food in the wild. That's nature. In captivity it's natural to feed them dead animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch the video if you want however if you are kinda sensitive don't watch from 9:40 to about 10 mins. With sound makes it worse. Just a warning.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and 8.20 to about 8.45 is kinda disturbing

i personaly am against live feeding unless its your last resort. i have a snake that wont eat it unless its moving. so i use large tweezers and dangle a defrosted mouse in front of her till she takes it.

i was sold a beardie and its owner use to give it live mice, i have tried defrosted and he wont take it so he goes without, i just give him woodies, crickets and mealworms all live, no one complains about live insects getting feed.

i also have a few snakes that will not eat at all anything thats dead and i have tried the tweezers ect. so i do live feed them, only because i refuse to watch my snakes die of starvation.

one of my live feed snakes is very agressive but doubt its to do with live feeding.

a lot of the big breeders overs seas feed live from what I have seen... I have seen snakebytes epis where they use live, I have seen clips of constrictors unlimited & the crested gecko feeding live... not saying its OK to do, but its not uncommon...

I don't understand it, once you here the screams, I don't know how anyone can do it again... but that's up to them!

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/live-food-legal-185157/

my post #43 from that thread
On the subject of live feeding, I think it has a small place in the hobby to get a hatchling to feed when all else fails, but should be used as a last resort and only for unfeeding young reptiles. All effort should be made to wean them onto freshly killed or thawed food if it's ever necessary to use a live feed to assist a hatchie when all else has failed. There's no excuse feeding yearlings or adults live feeds and the "they won't feed on anything else" is BS and a lack of understanding of husbandry techniques and lack of effort. If a hatcie takes a live pinky (when all else was tried and failed) they will usually always take a second thawed pinky immediately after it. One or two feeds like this and they are feeding on thawed or fresh killed (humanely) and there's no further need for a live feed.

Feeding captive adult reptiles live rodents is dangerous to the reptile and unecessarily cruel to the food item. And in my opinion done by sadistic people who get a "thrill" from this and like to show off to their "mates" etc. these people have little respect for life, their reptiles and no skills with acceptable husbandry methods. Unfortunately this happens far too often and education is the only answer. Freshly killed rodents offered in the correct way will almost always be taken first attempt by a snake that's supposed to only take "live" If they're fed freshly killed thats body warm and wiggled when offered with tongs there's not much difference for the snake that's supposed to only "take live" which is a load of crap in my opinion.

l "TOTALLY" agree with Colin post no.43 of this thread ....do we really have to look up the laws governing this subject, as it is its been covered numerous times and here we have another person trying to create a head-line and "another" case where the search bar hasn't been used or another claim "l couldn't find anything" on it .......whats happened to our natural instincts as animal carers you know its morally wrong and if you say there is no option you are either a blood-hound redneck or a keeper long-short on experience IMO and yes l feed fresh killed but imo the suffering is down to a nano-second.........solar 17 (baden)

Last edited:
Not sure about the snakes, but it makes me more aggressive.

Unfortunately with the hobby getting more popular, more and more of these bogan halfwits will no doubt be jumping on the live feeding bandwagon.Meh, I think I've said my piece on plenty of these forums before. Hopefully someday we run into each other.

most people on here use rat traps and rat bait, its a more painful and cruel way to kill a mouse or rat, especially wen it gets one of there legs and they are left in agony for hours. i use a metal cage with a small hole and place food inside. its one of those ones were they get in but can't get out.

i have no enjoyment watching a snake kill anything. but i was brought up on a farm and killing living animals for food is normal to me.

i have tried many times with thawed, fresh killed ect he will not take it.

though you know those vibrating bowls for canned crickets, silkworms, snail ect, i am planning and placing a freshly killed mouse on it and useing the remote to make the bowl vibrate to see if he takes it.

i only feed him 1 day old to 6 day old baby chickens so no risk to my snake of being injured. it sounds cruel but its crueler to starve a snake.

do we all know how the meat we eat gets killed, it aint humane no matter how you paint it.

I don't normally weigh in on these threads, mainly because I feel hypocritical given that I have fed live prey in the past. However, that was 20 years ago, & I knew no better. I also didn't have internet forums, or anyone else for that matter, telling me that there was better alternatives.

Also I demon my coastal enjoys the hunt as I scatter them in small hides for him to discover (knowing they are to small for a fight)

Christ man, you make it sound like a bloodsport. Not cool, IMO.

As has already been mentioned, there is a place for live-feeding in the hobby, but in most cases this is only in regard to breeders. The novice keeper should not have an animal that does not take pre-killed prey items, & if by chance they do end up with one it should be returned to to the breeder/shop and exchanged for one that does.

As for "Demon" enjoying the hunt, get a pair of forceps and dangle the dead prey item in front of him, have a gentle tug-of-war with him, if you like. I can guarentee he'll find that just as enjoyable as you scattering live mice around his tank.

Hey guys sorry I didn't add in I have been trying thawed mice for 2 months now tried popping heads tried scenting with a skunk nothing worked I wasn't confident enough to try force feeding and thought about live beforehand as I can't kill thm myself. Even though I may have made is sound as though I think its cool I don't I didn't watch I just kept checking to make sure he wasnt hurt. Ibdont plan on doing it reg but until he takes frozen or I can guts up enough to kill em myself I gotta give him a live my plan is to try nd get one freshly killed this time. But my mice breeder(family member) don't even know I grabbed the fuzzys for the snake I told them I checked and they were dead so I could get them. BUT my QUESTION WAS will live feeding make my snake more agrressive as he is the most placid snow Eva

i doubt it mate, he should still be the same. just dont feed him in his enclosure as he might start thinking your feeding him and strike you, feed in different enclosure or large click clack. if your gonna use live food you have to supervise to make sure he does not get injured.

Sorry but to say a snake wont eat fresh killed is nonsense and a lack of husbandry skills. Dont feed them for a few weeks and they will smash a fresh killed rodent no problem.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Tapatalk 2

2 months isn't very long to resort to feeding live in my view ..... 2 months over the cooler months that we are only just coming out of isn't a biggy at all .... given that not many snakes eat over winter .... i would check the temps you have it set at ... it could be its just to cold to eat .... what was it's feeding history like before you got it ?

Sorry but to say a snake wont eat fresh killed is nonsense and a lack of husbandry skills. Dont feed them for a few weeks and they will smash a fresh killed rodent no problem.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Tapatalk 2

not all snakes will take fresh killed, mine wont and i know. i have tried during summer not feeding him for 3 months and he still refused. the other snake in the same tank eats thawed no proble so not temp. they are separted into large click clacks at feed time but he just wont. its not a lack of husbandry skills, its one fussy stuborn snake. he was the same with previous owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back