Big Boy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleHiss

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I bought a seven year old male beardie a few months ago, and so far he's been awesome, but not much of an eater. He's sired three clutches so far this season, to two females. He has been a bit quite for two or three days, but I thought that he was probably just knackered from all the girls. I gave him so HerpaBoost and force fed some wombaroo reptile supplement and did 3ml of sub-cut fluids, but then this morning he was looking pretty poorly. I opened his mouth to give his some more HerpaBoost, and there was alot of fluid in his beard. I turned him upside down and tipped it out, gave him some HerpaBoost, another 3ml of sub-cut fluids, and some Nature's Gift kangaroo fillet (I don't normally do that but I wanted to get some fat and energy into him). He's always been quite scrawny, but never dehydrated, but now he's become moderately dehydrated and he won't eat. Is he just old or is something extremely wrong?

I'm not an expert, so I can't tell you what is wrong. But i would take him to your local vet and see if they can figure out what is wrong.

+1 to vet trip. Also, I don't have experience either, but I've heard of people trying to help with medications, supplements and foods etc that the animal doesn't normally eat, over-treating the problem which hasn't helped the situation. People panic and administer a bunch of different things all at once and sometimes make the matter worse. I'm sure you're being careful, but if you're in doubt about whether it's improving as a result of what you've tried, maybe take it to a vet so you know what you're dealing with. Best of luck, I hope he makes a swift recovery.

Took him to the vets. He said it was ulcers in his mouth, caused by stress. When I come home, I let the big kids out and this particular man likes to sit in front of a full length mirror and bob and admire his reflection, apparently this is what caused the stress. 0.1mL of antibiotics a day for 10 days and he should be good. Thanks for you suggestions :)

Took him to the vets. He said it was ulcers in his mouth, caused by stress. When I come home, I let the big kids out and this particular man likes to sit in front of a full length mirror and bob and admire his reflection, apparently this is what caused the stress. 0.1mL of antibiotics a day for 10 days and he should be good. Thanks for you suggestions :)
That's great, glad we could help you out. This had made my day

Reptiles don't realise they are looking at themselves in a mirror, they think it is another animal. There are very few animals that can actually recognise they are looking at a refection of themselves, like chimps and crows. The head bobbing confirms that he thought it was another male bearded dragon, many lizards will do head bobbing to exert dominance over other lizards and to maintain their territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back