Opinions? Help? What to do

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovemyreptiles

Reaction score
My childreni have been hatching since friday afternoon, I thought it was just a little lazy as it was the first to pip .3/4 of the snake was out since friday ,It looked quite fat and it was having trouble emerging the rest of its body from the egg.I ever so carefully made the hole a little bigger so it could get out .When it finally got out I noticed it was very kinked ,where the main kink is it is fussed so no chance of it ever straightening out. What do I do ? ( if it needs to be euthenised will the vet do it for me?)

Attachments

• hatchies and eggs 240912 105.jpg
    hatchies and eggs 240912 105.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 206
I would take it to the vet. Plenty of others will tell you to save money and euthanise yourself, but I 've heard too many instances of DIY going wrong. Vet should be happy to do it for you.

Oh the poor thing and how devastating for you. So sorry to hear you've had a problem. I have never seen anything like it before and I have no idea whether it could even survive like that. Its internals at the bottom end can't be too well off either I imagine.
I hope it works out one way or the other. :(

are you able to euthanise snakes the same way you do with rodents? gas chamber? just curious!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't work as well with very young snakes for the same reason it doesn't work with very young rodents: they don't consume enough oxygen for it to not take forever.

Oh gross, it looks retarded.
That's because it is "retarded" a better way to put it though is "physically deformed. Anyway maybe you should see how well it goes for, give it a feed when it's ready and if it is able to digest it might be fine. If not I'm sure the vet will be able to do it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't work as well with very young snakes for the same reason it doesn't work with very young rodents: they don't consume enough oxygen for it to not take forever.

so if you were to euthanise a snake at home, what would the best way be?

Guys, please don't offer advice if you have no idea what to do. This snake, as the OP said, has a fused backbome, as well as god knows what internal problems, amd needs to be euthanised, by a professional. Gas chambers will not work on reptiles in the same way as rodents.

I rang the reptile vet and the receptionist said the vet is on holidays till tuesday 1st Oct , i spoke with the receptionist and she said if I decide to euthenise it one of the other vets would be able to do it ? It gets around ok but drags the back half . It does look rather funky I will admit :) May wait a little longer to see how it goes and whether it can eat and digest food ?????

I rang the reptile vet and the receptionist said the vet is on holidays till tuesday 1st Oct , i spoke with the receptionist and she said if I decide to euthenise it one of the other vets would be able to do it ? It gets around ok but drags the back half . It does look rather funky I will admit :) May wait a little longer to see how it goes and whether it can eat and digest food ?????
That's what I think you should do, but there is slim chance it will be able to digest.

A hammer to the head and no hesitation will also euthanise it just fine. Doesn't sound very nice, but it is very effective. Destroying the brain will kill the animal (so chopping off the head doesn't work as well, etc).

A hammer to the head and no hesitation will also euthanise it just fine. Doesn't sound very nice, but it is very effective. Destroying the brain will kill the animal (so chopping off the head doesn't work as well, etc).

i agree on this, decapitation of the head on cold blooded animals is probabably the most humanemethod to it, assuming it's done correctly.
i've heard a story of a vet giving a snake "the needle" once, aparently took a hour and a half before the snake stopped breathing and had "gone to sleep" . . . i dont know about you, but i think thats pretty upsetting to watch.

Good luck with it all though and i hope it all works out.

Agreed, But..you assume that a member of aps wouldn't miss the brain, somehow. And they would know which end the brain is in. I've read too many threads on hereto give the members that much credit.

I would just take to the vet. It costs me $10 a animal to be put down i think its well worth it.

take it to the vet and see what they say first then decide on whats best for the animal. i had a deformed bird who lived till she was 2 and lived a happy pain free life, best bird anyone could ask for. but only an experienced vet will be able to tell you wether or not this snake can still live a happy 'normal' life or not. i feel so sorry for this little guy.

Last edited:
I will wait for the vet to get back I think , I can't do it myself (big softy ) Feel bad gassing mice :( lol

Any of you who think that can go on and be fine are kidding yourselves. It needs to be culled. If you're not willing to make the right choice straight away with things like that you shouldn't be breeding reptiles.

Any of you who think that can go on and be fine are kidding yourselves. It needs to be culled. If you're not willing to make the right choice straight away with things like that you shouldn't be breeding reptiles.

I agree. Keeping the charade up it might be ok is delusional. It's lost almost a third of its length and a massive amount of quality of life, even if it does have the ability to continue with normal bodily functions.

Do the right thing and euthanise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back