Water Dragon Discovery

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_at_arms

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well since I got my EWD in April last year I have been under the assumption it was male.
IMG_9169.jpg
"He" hadn't eaten for the last 12 weeks and still had a very round belly. I was starting to think it was impaction despite no decrease in activity or any other signs. That was until yesterday I found 7 eggs laid around the enclosure!! (another two were found this morning)

They don't look viable when candled and how could they as the dragon hasn't been in physical contact with another water dragon since April last year?!

So can any one tell me have long the gestation period should be for EWD?
I never fully cooled her over winter, temps were dropped to max of 30*C and a shorter day cycle.
She has show an increased interest in digging the last few months and so I put a tub with coir peat in the inside enclosure to facilitate excavation. The eggs were found in the water reservoir, next to the tub of soil and on the basking rock.

I have to admit it is a pleasant surprise, as I now have a pair with the juvi I got in Feb.
Hopefully her appetite will return now and she can go outside once she is eating again.

tl:dr
I use to have an average looking male EWD, but now I have a stunning looking female. (",)

Wow. I definitely would jave thought that was a male lol. She even has a nice red chest. I thought that was only a male thing?

Imagine the hatchlings you'd have if she was paired with an awesome male.

These guys are believed to be capable of parthenogenesis. There is a keeper in NSW who incubated a similar clutch and hatched out live young.

These guys are believed to be capable of parthenogenesis. There is a keeper in NSW who incubated a similar clutch and hatched out live young.

Interesting thanks Arctic, I will look into that.
I have incubated the eggs as practice, so I guess I will candle then in a week or so to check their viability.

google it?
Cheers for the input :)

That puts a lot of hope in me that one of mine are possible females. I have to very nice looking (which i think are males) but they are about 1 maybe a little older and both get along great. they sleep together on eachothers backs and now one has stasrted to develop a big neck flap and the other has not but they both have the balck stripes and red chest although one has a dull pink chest and the other a bright red chest..

congratulations on the clutch.. I love water dragons..

Are water dragons be one of the lizards that sort sperm from previous breeding seasons?

male water dragons have a crimson red upper chest, the female you have is typical colouring of a female, some have a lot less red, but most females will support a red chest. you can also tell by the spines on its crest, males also carry larger ones than females, but not to noticable unless you have a male to compare with.

It is a misconception that only males have a red chest. The top two in this photo are confirmed females, the bottom one is male.

8018738355_82a5953228_z.jpg

Well she hasn't eaten yet and is looking very flat.
Hasn't moved much from the basking area since Sunday.
I mixed up a weak solution of electrolyte drink and orally administered about 3ml on tuesday.
Tried again wednesday but she flat out refused.
Got about 2ml in this morning and she has passed a medium sized white stool during the day in the water area.
Any ideas or observation anyone would care to share???

inb4 vet as I have an appointment Monday.

also: Great looking dragons Wally.

Updating this incase anyone is interested.
Appetite returned on saturday and generally appeared perkier.
Vet found she is still retaining 2 eggs, so now I just need to observe, keep fluids up and daily baths in tepid water.

She done a smelly poo on the way to the vets so I had a fresh sample for her to check for parasites! :)

Hope she passes those two eggs.

It is a misconception that only males have a red chest. The top two in this photo are confirmed females, the bottom one is male.

8018738355_82a5953228_z.jpg

Those are some good looking water dragons! Do you breed them?

No these are a mates that I took care of while he was oversees. I don't think he is breeding them this year.

* all the best with your girl mad!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back