is my lizard dead or playing dead please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am afraid it is dead, i have picked it up a couple of times and it is very floppy and the inside of it's mouth is sort of white. i am very distressed that my beloved pet is proberly gone.
RIP Ruby

- - - Updated - - -

any other people who want to give advice feel free thanks

put it in the bin but keep checking on it. It might come back to life.

In the early days I was deceived by this behaviour, but as I walked past the garbage bin I saw my much loved Southern angle headed dragon (that I had been grieving over for hours) positioned on the rim of the bin very much alive.

Lucky he didn't bury him!!

i am afraid it is dead, i have picked it up a couple of times and it is very floppy and the inside of it's mouth is sort of white. i am very distressed that my beloved pet is proberly gone.
RIP Ruby

- - - Updated - - -

any other people who want to give advice feel free thanks

I would not write it off if it hasn't gone stiff, check the pupils for signs of life, that is a sure fire way to tell.
It could just be very weak, I had a sick angle that I was about to bury until I thought to check the pupils, turns out it was alive and just very dehydrated (I suspect it wasnt drinking or eating due to stress), I gave it some fluids and it came good after a couple of days of "intensive care".

Just leave him in his enclosure overnight.

If he is dead, you'll know about it in the morning.
If he doesn't smell, he is probably alive, and should be taken to a vet ASAP.

this might be too late, but with mine when he was in a bad state i would rub the dewlap and that would usually get his attention or if it was worse i would pick him up and almost turn him upside down and he would really weakly reach out to hold on, if neither of them do much maybe the pupils is the best way to go, thats just what worked for me. sorry if the lizard is dead

thankyou for the wonderful advice that i'm sure i can use in the future and help other people. My lizard is dead because it is stiff.

R.I.P ruby

Wow! Learning is never ending. I thought you were pulling wool over our eyes with your question. But I see others with these lizards have come forward to support your theory of it playing dead. I apologise for my rude reply. I still find it hard to believe that it could be that difficult to tell if an animal is dead, but it seems these dragons are very good at what they do. Oh, and I am sorry to hear about your dragon. That's really sad :(

Last edited:
This is so sad :( I was hoping to get to the end of this thread and find that ruby was just playing lil mind games with us.. How old was she?

Renae x

we think it might be genetic because when we went to get the lizards there was one the lady would not sell us because it was looking unwell and also we think the parents are siblings and that can cause all sorts of problems

- - - Updated - - -

she was only a year and and 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back