where have the woodies gone??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im going to swap to woodies because 90 bucks worth of crickets a fortnight is killing me plus rats and i dont breed lol. So anyone got the hot tip on where i can buy bulk woodies atm?? livefoods is low and arc seems to still have none, pieces i need to be a shop and i dont have any (in flesh) herp friends to ask.. :(

so where do you gt yours?? also fluon in Adelaide(long shot i know)??

Does everyones stock die off over winter??

Cheers again Toby,

Cockroaches a scary, I have a phobia of insects and roaches scare me the most..Not too fussed that they are gone :p

Herp Shop normally do but even they aren't advertising at the moment. But any pet or aquarium store that can order those small tubs would be able to order you a bulk lot. Through a retail shop may be expensive, but buying bulk will work out cheaper than buying those little tubs on a regular basis.

Another thought for you, have you thought of growing your own crickets and woodies? If you transfer them into one of them large plastic storage tubs you should be able to keep them alive and they will breed and keep you in supply.

90L tub is large enough that the crickets won't jump out when you want to catch them. You will need air holes in the tub, cover with fly screen to stop them escaping. Use egg cartons, screwed up newspaper or anything like that for them to hide, a wet sponge for water, and every couple days give them fresh veges and dry dog biscuits, they will be happy. I place a wet sponge in a chinese container. Just a bowl of water will drown them so that is why you use the sponge.

Woodies do the same but you won't need to screen airholes as they don't jump. You can use fluon around the edges of the tub to stop them climbing the sides. However, if you use sprays to keep household pests under control, I would consider screening the holes to stop them getting in to your colony. They will mix and breed with them, but I lost a beautiful monitor to pesticide poisoning which I believe was caused from vermin mixing with her woodies, and then she ended up eating a cockroach that had been in contact with the pesiticide. So keep this in mind - keep the rotten cockies out of your colony. If chriping crickets keep you awake at night you might not want to keep them inside your house.

When I had my beardie, I use to let her loose in the bug box - she thought she was in heaven. Loved the smorgasbord.

Last edited:
I agree with growing your own. I know it doesn't help your situation right now but once you get a colony established it only needs a fresh carrot or two twice a week and some dog food and you've got food on demand forever

I tried crickets and it was more work than my beardies lol. Thats the plan to start a colony. just need my first bulk order..

Woodies don't die off over winter. If you don't keepthem warm they slow down in terms of growth and reproduction. Keep them warm and they will continue to grow and reproduce. They like to be kept in the dark to be active. I only feed carrot to mine -don't worry about the biscuits and they are fine. If you have a problem with other bugs in and around the house, then simply cut out the centre of the lid and glue in a piece of flywire.

Kathy,
I highly doubt that your monitor died from pesticide. Insectcides are highly specific in the chemical pathways they affect, otherwise they would not be allowed to be used in food preparation areas of humans etc. I the cockroach had ingested a large amount of a nasty insecticide that has restricted use, it would have been dead very quickly. Whatever caused the monitor's demise, it was coincidental that it occurred at the same time as eating a pest roach.

Blue

Bluetongue1

Do you know what those small grubs are they seem to inhabit most woodie colonies?

Has anyone ever cultured them? They look great for small geckos and dragons.

Bluetongue1

Do you know what those small grubs are they seem to inhabit most woodie colonies?

Has anyone ever cultured them? They look great for small geckos and dragons.

Are you talking about little hairy things? I bought a tub of crickets which had 3 tiny, hairy grubs in it.

Woodies are HEAPS easier than crickets, There is a guy on here called Dave, I bought a 1kg bulk from him a while ago when I had lizards, and grey them myself, I split it into 2 colony boxes and had heat tape running on the bottom with thermostat under it kept them outside (even in winter in canberra) in a shedand they thrived..

I used, carrots every few days and water crystals with dry animal food (which ever had the most protein/calcium in the store) - because what you feed your woodies ends up in your animals...

I couldn't feed my 3 lizards fast enough, I only fed out of 1 box at a time for a month or two, I made my money back on the bulk order with in 3-4months and then when I didn't need them anymore as i gave lizards away i sold my colony and it was 1.7KG :)

Cheers
John

Livefoodsunlimited.com.au are great, i buy in bulk from expos but he can also post woddies to you, and sells fluon. Worth a look

Would you have daves user name at all?

- - - Updated - - -

thanks leeloo thats who i always get my foods through but he is low on woodies from winter.. :( so is herpshop and arc

Just a lot of work. Not hard as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back