Croc Escapes on Quantas Flight: DNews Nugget

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
The tiny reptile was found wandering in the cargo hold.

Published On: 25-Sep-12 12:11 AM
Source: Discovery News
Author: Lori Cuthbert

Go to Original Article

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
The croc broke free from its cage and roamed the plane's cargo hold during the flight from Brisbane to Melbourne until unsuspecting baggage handlers discovered the reptile when unloading the luggage upon landing.

A Qantas spokesman said the crocodile measured about 60 centimetres in length and was caught without incident.

An investigation is underway into how the crocodile escaped on the flight last Monday.

"The animal was quickly and safely secured when the aircraft arrived in Melbourne," the spokesman said in a statement.

"The investigation is focusing on whether it had been loaded appropriately on delivery to Australian air Express."
I'm betting the restrictions will get even worse on packaging reptiles thanks to this incident. I would assume appropriate transport for a crocodile would be bagged inside a strong wooden box (with air holes) with the lid screwed down to prevent this ever happening? I'm curious as to what it was packed in? Maybe its an unfortunate incident with something falling on the box breaking the lid? But as the cargo are strapped down to prevent this I cant see how especially if the croc was inside a properly secured bag?

AAE wanted all reptiles in wooden boxes I remember but has still been ok (in Sydney) with hatchie snakes securely bagged inside appropriately sealed plastic boxes. I'm sure everything will need a wooden box from this point which is more time consuming to construct than buying a plastic container.

It was in a cheap plastic Crazy Clarks container - very surprised AAE let it on, as the Brisbane branch is normally quite restrictive.

We freight all our snakes in metal toolboxes. They meet all the requirements and you can buy them for pocket change from Bunnings etc.

The poor little bugger was 6 inches long. Possibly a threat to a small grasshopper or a guppy, not much else.

The crocs i have got arrived in pvc tube with wet paper and caps taped on and they all stayed in and arrived safe and sound

Well fair bet Quantas will never freight reptiles agaian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back