how big do central bearded dragons get?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

galeru

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi does anyone know how big central beardies grow to?
how big a cage they need and what sort of care they require?

please reply cheers

Pinched from a previous thread and thought the info was really good. I have my beardy in a 90x70x65 enclosure and he loves it, just make sure you have the right setup from the get go so you give your new addition the best care straight off the bat

G'day melluvssnakes, I agree with your reasoning for getting hatchlings. All but 1 of our lizards have been purchased as hatchlings; it's not just great for them to bond to you early, but it allows you to experience 'all' of their life's phases :)
I reckon the most important thing is to have the TIME for them! As hatchies, they require at least 2 feeds a day, a couple of mists a day, cleaning, keeping an eye on them for bullying, etc... and that's EVERY day. Can get a bit time-consuming, but well worth the effort in the long run.
As long as you have your tank set up ok, with a nice basking spot (hatchies like it a bit hotter, about 40C) and plenty of UVB and ventilation, you should be right. What sort of substrate are you using? I recommend astroturf, but there are plenty of other options - just be careful the bd's don't eat it!
Another important thing is to dust your insects with calcium at least every 2 days. Their first year is critical for bone development.
One of the hatchies we got this season was a real problem eater; however, thanks to the advice from this forum, we were put on to a product called 'herpaboost'. It has given our little girl the appetite she was lacking, now she's putting weight on. I recommend keeping a bottle of this stuff in the fridge.
There's heaps of beardy keepers here that'll have lots of great info and advice for you; all you have to do is ask ;)
Oh, we'll all be expecting heaps of pics when you get them too :):)
Have fun with them, they make awesome pets! All character!
Cheers,
Nic

Im interested in a varient of this, are german giants real? are they here if they are real?

justdragons i don't understand your comment can u please explain it 2 me

German giants are an overseas line of bearded dragon that reaches particularly large sizes. I don't know the exact story of how they came to exist. The German giant line obviously isn't available here legally.

German giants are an overseas line of bearded dragon that reaches particularly large sizes. I don't know the exact story of how they came to exist. The German giant line obviously isn't available here legally.
How would breeders have done that, my guess would be by selective breeding. Breeding the biggest to the biggest and then the offspring to the biggest over generations. Would this be true?

Their is a article on them in the bearded dragon manual they can grow to more then 24 inches in length and females can lay clutches of more then 50 eggs

thanx justdragons for explaining that. isn't that interesting

Lol sorry I wasn't subscribed to this thread but yeah that is what I was asking. I did do more of a google on it and it seems that the Americans also feel it may be some what of a myth. They seem to have a lot of different names to what we would just call a red and orange dragon. Still some cool stuffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

German giants aside, I would be interested to hear what kind of sizes other people have. My central beardie is 440-odd grams and approximately 49 centimetres (19 inches) long from the tip of her snout to the tip of her tail. She's about 10 months old and grew at an astronomical pace up until a couple of months ago. Since then she's still been slowly gaining weight, even though I cut the woodies right back.

What other measurements have we got?

Yoda is about 2ft from STT (snout to tail tip) and eats about 2-3 punnets of crix a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back