What sort of snake is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly-1

Reaction score
What sort of snake is this?

A mate posed the picture on facebook

Apparently Found at Hanson Quarry in Farleigh QLD, dunno whether it was dead or alive?, I'm tipping dead given it's in a Zip Lock Bag.

The marking near the head are unreal, I have never seen a snake like this before, has anybody else?

581491_207087889422282_1515889282_n.jpg

looks like a crowned snake a dwarf crowned snake?

Last edited:
581491_207087889422282_1515889282_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Golden-crowned snake (Cacophis squamulosus), I just found it on the net, thanks.

looks exotic...like a boa

I vote to delegate, and only allow certain people to positively I.D reptiles in these threads.
Something about newbies giving advice on dealing with vens doesn't sit right with me..

And yes, it's a Golden crowned. Shame.

Unfortunately boidae it is not only newbies that stuff up.

True Scott... but I am working on getting better. Trouble is you set the bar so damned high!
Lol.

Mike,
I am yet set a bar. Currently I am struggling with a Demansia identification from mackay. That should be easy but this snake does not fit into the key.

Such is life it will be labeled as Demansia sp.

cheers
scott

Unfortunately boidae it is not only newbies that stuff up.

I'd take Scott's I.D.'s over most people on this site. He's one of the most experienced field herper's on the site & a valuable member & contributor. Cheers

Last edited:
Mike,
I am yet set a bar. Currently I am struggling with a Demansia identification from mackay. That should be easy but this snake does not fit into the key.

Such is life it will be labeled as Demansia sp.

cheers
scott

Scott, you pretty much are the bar.

Thanks for the comments all it is not required. I will say this, we all have stuffed up (I have 2 incorrectly labelled pics I can think of off the top of my head. The key to good id's is to double check with multiple sources where possible.

Cheers
scott

I must be getting better. Golden Crowned Snake was the very first thing that popped in to my head when I saw this pic. Still, there's no way I would offer my thoughts when it comes to snake ID, as there are countless thousands out there who would be far better (and more qualified) to lend their opinions than I.

Still... felt good to see my opinion was correct :D

I have found a Krefts Golden Crowned snake before on my travels, though magpie wasn't as convinced as I was of the type of snake. Though I maintain it was a Krefts...

On the subject of identification, Colin, do you think it's possible that we have a separate forum location for ID'ing snakes and the only people able to hit reply are ones that pass a 'test' for identification... I don't think it would be that hard to put up.

Maybe you could bring it forward in the next moderators meeting?

Now I am worried that someone will read their first reply in their ID thread, think their snake is an exotic and needlessly kill it or call authorities!!!

Either that, or just allow Scott to be the only person who can reply to ID threads :)

On the subject of identification, Colin, do you think it's possible that we have a separate forum location for ID'ing snakes and the only people able to hit reply are ones that pass a 'test' for identification... I don't think it would be that hard to put up.

Maybe you could bring it forward in the next moderators meeting?

Now I am worried that someone will read their first reply in their ID thread, think their snake is an exotic and needlessly kill it or call authorities!!!

Either that, or just allow Scott to be the only person who can reply to ID threads :)

thats a good idea Paul but its totally up to Adam (Administrator) and Slateman who actually own the site & make these sort of decisions. Moderators are unpaid volunteers who do the job in our own time to try and help the site and the members.

I don't think it's beneficial to only have one person thats allowed to ID them, and sure Scott would agree. Apart from it being a burden on his time having a few experienced members available for ID would be beneficial for everyone. It would give more opportunity for discussion and correct identification and many hands make light work. But if they were the only ones available to post then how would the other member's learn if they had an intelligent question to ask? It would probably be best if it was "recomended" only a certain few members are able to offer identification ID's but all members can post to comment and ask questions.

If its done seriously it would be a great addition to the forum & field herping knowledge for all members. Especially if no rubbish posts or stupid ID pics are posted (or infraction applies) to try to keep the smart alecs from ruining a good new forum option.

Will see what Slateman & Adam think about the idea, Cheers

I see your points Colin , maybe a separate forum section with a sticky that appears above I'd threads telling those how stupid it is to attempt an I'd when you have no idea what it is , I don't post in I'd threads unless I have some sort of question so making it impossible to post in I'd threads would make it a little inconvenient to those who don't want to have a wild stab at what it is and only want to maybe ask a question about the species being I'd

thats a good idea Paul but its totally up to Adam (Administrator) and Slateman who actually own the site & make these sort of decisions. Moderators are unpaid volunteers who do the job in our own time to try and help the site and the members.

I don't think it's beneficial to only have one person thats allowed to ID them, and sure Scott would agree. Apart from it being a burden on his time having a few experienced members available for ID would be beneficial for everyone. It would give more opportunity for discussion and correct identification and many hands make light work. But if they were the only ones available to post then how would the other member's learn if they had an intelligent question to ask? It would probably be best if it was "recomended" only a certain few members are able to offer identification ID's but all members can post to comment and ask questions.

If its done seriously it would be a great addition to the forum & field herping knowledge for all members. Especially if no rubbish posts or stupid ID pics are posted (or infraction applies) to try to keep the smart alecs from ruining a good new forum option.

Will see what Slateman & Adam think about the idea, Cheers

Hi Colin,

i tend to agree with you here. One person doing all id's is a problem for many reasons due to time constraints etc. I am all for anyone making a suitable attempt at an identification but it should stated if it is guess or not. Guessing might give you a correct answer but it can cause a problem too.

As there is no way of knowing if joe blogs or Jane blogs are any better than an Id made by adsell, nathancl or jordo. For a one time user it would be difficult to sort out who to believe.
Cheers
scott

The really bad mis-IDs pee us all off but the important thing is that we usually get there in the end. An "animal ID" forum that had a few rules (like justify your answer) might improve things but then that's more work the mods don't need.
The only other thing I can think of that allows everyone to still have their input is to give members a rating so the forum will moderate itself. To do this give a handful of people who are good at identification, say 10 people like Scott, the power to give members a rating based on responses, only 1 rating for a post then the option is gone for all of these 10 people so members don't get bad or good votes twice for the same post.
The rating system would be clearly structured so everyone of the 10 people could easily rate posts without bias, here is just an example that would need to be fine tuned:
1 - Completely wrong
2 - Correct family, wrong genus
3 - Correct genus
4 - 100% (Correct genus and species)
This sort of scale might not work in all situations but in those where it does it will quickly separate the people that know and the people that don't (and is very black and white either yes or no). It would allow everyone to have a go but give the OP the ratings of members to gauge who is worth listening to. Also with the persons reputation on the line people might not be so inclined to jump in with stupid answers.

Again I understand that it would be a big pain to set up and moderate but just wanted to put it out there since the discussion has gone this direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back