Best way to pickup?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I haven't had much experience with hatchies as my first snake was 2 when i bought her, but whenever i go to get him out hes very defensive and i always try put my fist infront of him first to let him know im there than kinda push him with it but 99% of the time it results in him biting me and coiling up ready to go again? So my question.... is it best to open the enclosure lid and just go straight for it and pick them up while they arent ready to strike or whats the go? i hate sitting there pushing him getting bitten several times waiting for him to uncoil so i can pick him up..

edit: He's a 8 month old hypo caramel coastal btw

He's biting because he see's your fist coming towards him as a threat and is trying to defend himself, maybe trying using a hook.. Im sure plenty of other people will have ideas though.

I use a hook to get my hatchies out- they're only small and are defensive because they think you're going to harm them. A hook is less 'offensive' to them, and they tolerate it much better. You can then let them go to you, by moving up the hook to your hand. I've found mine to be much more relaxed that way.

I think you should use a hook, or maybe use gloves if that helps you pick him up. I have been told by some members of APS that just going in and taking him out of the enclosure before he can react works. But I havnt tried it, I would recomend to just keep at it, if he bites thats fine just make sure you handle him once or twice a week. And hopefully he will calm down soon, also when you do try and handle him make sure its stress free for the snake. Hope this or someone else helps you out. :p

Is that what most people do? When i told a few keepers i wanted to get a hook for him they laughed at me :(!! Would just opening the tub and going straight for him be a bad thing?

edit: yeah i handle him once every day/every second day. Im just not sure a hook is neccesary especially when the bites dont bother me at all

It's not really about the bites, it's less stressful cause a giant hand isn't coming at it, the hook is coming from underneath while it's probably focusing on you.

I. Find the best way to pick up is to head down to your local pub and mingle with the ladies

Thread titles can be very misleading at times ;) :)

The mini hooks on eBay are great for small hatchies to get thm out of there enclosure size of a pen so great for small cages my Black and gold ferry agro but with the hook she slithers straight up my arm( unfortunately to attack me :( its a love hate relationship

Biting something large that approaches is a very sensible thing for a tiny snake to do. This is a safety reflex. Go for the hook. I use this with cage defensive adults. They learn that the hook means handling and then are fine. Having said that, I usually just go for it and pick up youngsters. As you point out, the bite isn't bad and I very rarely get bitten. I am more worried about the snake bruising its mouth than my huge hand getting hurt.

I've always just picked them up, if I cop a bite i cop a bite. Pretty soon they've all learned that I don't pose a threat to them, whether they've gotten used to the way I smell or what I don't know, but these days the only time I get bitten is if I smell like rodents, or the other day when I re-filled my darwin hatchie's water only an hour or so after he'd eaten. I think he was feeling bloated and vulnerable, or maybe still hungry, not sure:)

I would say your first problem is coming directly at his head. Try just hooking a finger under him about mid way down the body. Then once he is free of the tub give him the rest of your hand to hold onto so he feels more stable. If you still would like a hook you can make a good one for hatchies out of a wooden coat hanger. Just by moving the hook to the end of it. As much as it might not hurt you to get struck now. You really don't want that habit to carry through to adulthood with a coastal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dam i thought this was thread about picking up chicks :p
If you got lady troubles i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one :D

@ Topic, i've decided to just go straight in and pick him up he should get used to it !

If you got lady troubles i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one :D!
Now now didn't your mother ever teach you to respect ladies , or did you just ignore her

Im generally a very ignorant person so chances are i ignored her, young n dumb woo hooooo!

I pick up mine as soon as I open the lid ,although he also won't go from me to anyone else, might like my smell better

i have a 10 month old spotted that used to do the same, just keep holding her. i hold mine up to 2 times a day now she loves to be handled now and gets ****ty going back to her enclosure :))

Just picked him up as soon as i opened it, did not have an issue at all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back