Beardie problem - maybe? Need some advice please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a young beardie, Kirby, who's approximately 10 months old and has been with me since three months. (I don't know exactly when she hatched. I'm also not sure of her gender, I just prefer to call her something other than "it".) It's nothing I can put my finger on, but I feel like there might be something wrong. She's my first beardie, however, so I wanted to run it by the more experienced beardie keepers.

First things first. She has a UV 10.0 fluoro tube that's about six months old and a basking spot that gives her a range of temperatures from about 39 to 45 degrees. She can get within 10 centimetres of both lights. I take her out for at least half an hour of natural sunlight every week, and usually she gets more. The enclosure is 117cm wide, 60 cm deep and 39 cm high. About a third of that is a lightless, heatless compartment (the enclosure came that way - I intend to change that). The substrate is currently newspaper (I intend to change that too).

The beardie herself is approximately 49 cm long from tail tip to snout and 440 grams. She grew very quickly between three months and eight months, and I began to taper her wood cockroaches off at about six to seven months. She now has woodies once a week and is provided salad every day. Salad usually includes chopped bok choy, pak choy or endives, grated squash and grated butternut pumpkin. She gets calcium supplements every third day and vitamin supplements once a week. I mist her every third day or so. She doesn't like being put in the shower or in water so I do that rarely.

Now to possible problems. She hasn't been much of a salad eater since the beginning. She will eat greens but picks around anything else. She doesn't even touch strawberry or hibiscus flowers. I took that as normal for a three-month-old, but she seems to be getting worse. She doesn't touch her salad at all some days and eats only a small amount when she does. She does eat woodies though, when offered. Whenever I try to vary the ingredients of her salad, she seems to get even less interested in eating it, so for now I'm sticking to what she knows.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Pythoninfinite :D, I have to describe her bowel movements, or lack thereof. They were pretty regular and soon after meals to start with, but last time I gave her woodies it took her seven days to pass them. Because I'm under the impression that beardies should poop regularly to prevent rot in the stomach, I'm a little worried about that.

She also sleeps more and seems less active overall, although of course that could be more to do with reaching adulthood than any health problem. She spends a lot of time sitting in the same place. The lightless compartment might be a problem. She sometimes goes in there in the late afternoon; because she doesn't notice the lights coming on in the morning, she ends up having an impromptu sleep in. Having said that, she does occasionally scrabble at the glass and butt at it with her nose, which doesn't stop until I let her out for a run around the apartment. :)

What do people think?

Thanks,
Ren

Agreed, sounds older than you say. This food fussing is normal ATM and as the weather warms up and you give her time in the sun each day, things should improve. My boy has just come out of brumation and only nibbles little bits of salad but more and more each day. My girl, on the other hand, is just a propper pig and finishes her salads every day

She might need more woodies. A salad diet will provide her with the vitamins and minerals she needs but would provide very little protein and fats. I know you say she was growing fast, but they still need to store some fat reserve to sustain them over winter.

I am not an experienced beardie keeper. I have had one pet beardy, but I do know a bit about keeping animals to be able to offer some thought to what could be the problem. While she is not happy, I would be letting her have what she wants to eat. Eating too much of her woodies won't be a bad thing if that is all she eats - or whatever it is she wants to eat most of.
Here is a link to a website that provides a detailed table of food that beardies can have, and how much they need of different foods. But like I said, while she isn't well, let her have her bugs. Feed them salads and then feed them to your beardy and she will get the nourishment from what they ate.
Nutrition Content

Another thing I can suggest, with your UV light, most of them come with a lifepan of 2000hours or 6 months. So it might be getting weaker by this stage. But in saying that, you said you have her outside in the sun for a minimum half hour a week, sometimes more. Sunlight is a far more reliable source of UV and vitamin D than any artificial light. I have a book called The Bearded Dragon Manual which suggests 4 hours of sunlight a week is equivalent to 10hours a day of artificial light.

Thanks for the comments. I have wondered if she is a little older than I was told. The first time I weighed her, on 20th March this year, she was 46 grams. Based on what the breeder told me, she would have been about four months. I will take a picture of the fussy eater tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

The other thing is that she didn't lose her appetite over winter - being Cairns, it stays quite warm during the day. It's only now it's warming up that she seems to be getting pickier with the food! I have noticed that the way the sun shines in through the windows has changed in recent weeks. That's one of my many theories.

She might need more woodies. A salad diet will provide her with the vitamins and minerals she needs but would provide very little protein and fats. I know you say she was growing fast, but they still need to store some fat reserve to sustain them over winter.

Thanks for the link to the nutrition content. You could be right that she might need more woodies if she's not eating much salad. I confess that I'm concerned she's already a bit fat, which is why I'm trying to watch her diet. I'll give her some woodies tomorrow. After the photos. :)

Try mashed pumpkin, my two love it. But have never been big salad eaters.

Ty a few different fruits and vege etc...we find some are quicker to take to fruit and vege then others and some would rather eat certain colours etc.

Some things you could try - peas, pumpkin, dandelion flowers and leaves, milk thistle flowers and leaves, mango, some of the frozen mix vege packs from the supermarket chopped up to appropriate sizes (just not much carrot as to much is bad for them).

Don't stress to much about her eating, she sounds like she is quite large for her age and has eaten well over the last 6months or so!

I would get that enclosure fixed up though, not enough heat or light can definitely cause them to go off their food or only pick at vege etc but still chase crickets and woodies. If she is spending a fair amount of time in there and not getting enough heat it could also cause her not to digest her food as quickly and slow down bowels etc. With that said, it may just be she pigged out through winter and is now slowing down cause not having a big growth spurt...

My female was the same.. Loved woodies not so much greens... What I found was she loved the mix frozen vegs from the supermarket. She loves the corn from it. I sat there once and watch her eat them all.
So maybe try the mix vegs..hope that helps and agree more woodies maybe every second day.

Right. Here are some pictures of the large fussy eater and of her enclosure. Looking at the enclosure, she might need a hide on the warm side. I always saw that lightless area as the hide so didn't really consider it before.

I also have what I hope will be a nice log for her, when I've cleaned it up.

DSC_0324.jpg DSC_0330.jpg DSC_0325.jpg DSC_0327.jpg DSC_0332.jpg DSC_0333.jpg

And just because I love this picture:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for everyone's ideas, too.

Attachments

• IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 84
You mean how does the beardie move between compartments? There's an eight-centimetre gap between the glass and the divider that doesn't show up in the photos.

Wow she is beautiful Ren!! Looks very healthy from those pics.

Good idea with the hides, make sure you give her a few options like you said, atleast one in the cooler area and one in the warmer area. I have the same and it works well (they both get used).

As for being fussy, just keep trying different vegies, also vegies in different formats. It is AMAZING how different each beardie is... One of mine wont eat staple greens cut into strips, BUT will eat it all if its just ripped up... haha just fussy. The other one is IN LOVE with strawberries, yet the other wont even give them a second look.

These are some of the reasons i LOVE beardies. Watching each individual pick their fav fruit/veges from their bowl. Makes me laugh/smile every time :)

Edit: I would remove that divider, its not needed and will give her more room. Also find some other stuff to throw in there so keep her feeling more secure. Fake plants, logs and sticks to climb on etc etc

Hey Ren! :)

Firstly, I will congratulate you on your original post - very informative and precise, thus very helpful! :)

Secondly, considering the strange weather we've all been experiencing of late, I'd say that would have a fair amount to do with it...

Now, as for the lack of interest in 'her' salad, how about you put some of said salad into a milk-bottle lid, and give it to the Woodies... It's a win/win situation then - gutloads the woodies, AND she gets her salad - even though she doesn't know it! :p

Also, I'd try varying her diet a little - try crickets as well (you can put the salad with the crickets too), and dust them once a week with Calcium... Also, try offering individual ingredients - hand-feeding - of the salad... A leaf of Bok-Choy, Parsley head etc....

Considering "age", it's quite likely it's a phase she's going through - quite normal, nonetheless stressful to slaves - but she will get back to it, in her own time! :)

Patience and persistence mate! :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. The beardie is outside at the moment, alternating between sun and shade. She was sleeping in again this morning, in that compartment, but looks very alert now, I'm happy to report. That divider is going ASAP!

Lizardlady: Thanks for the pep talk. I'm just happy that there seems to be nothing wrong with her. I will certainl ypersist. Patience... well, I'll try my best with that one. :)

What substrates do people recommend for beardies other than sand? I don't like sand for several reasons but would like to use something other than newspaper.

I just brought her in and gave her some woodies. She is a very happy lizard.

She looks healthy in those photos. Her colours are showing beautifully. If she was sick you will notice she may lose her colour - might go a dark grey (not like when they are in the sun). When in the sun they go dark but it looks good. When they are sick they go dark or dirty grey, but you can tell something is wrong.

ive had a new girl just come out of brumation and she hadnt eaten in the last few weeks except for a few crickets, i had to take her to the local rescue person the other day (live in the outback and none of the vets here know much about reptiles) and when i told her she hadnt eaten she suggested i try some peas so today i put some in and she loved them

ill slowly add other vegies as i go along however seeing her eating is a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back