Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnerguy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
A friend of mine put a few pics up on Facebook of a snake that she found and killed, up in the town of Sarina North Queensland. I put my opinion forward that it is a Brown Tree Snake (Boiga Irregularis) but apparently the fact that google says the locality is different and the pattern should be more defined rules out my I.D. But I remain stubbornly adamant that it is as I have named it. :rolleyes: :lol:

But, if you guys think differently, let me know, please prove me wrong, because I will happily accept a correction from anyone actually within the reptile community, because I have faith that most of you know herping better than I do haha. And I have facepalmed multiple times over the fact that on Facebook it was considered a Collett's Snake for a while, but now the decision has gone to the Taipan. :rolleyes:

But anyway, here are the pics;

47238_503264626351486_431498301_n.jpg

541108_503264696351479_321996323_n.jpg

246509_503264799684802_1228772017_n.jpg

527703_503488832995732_2043496855_n.jpg

183444_503489336329015_567905979_n.jpg

527792_503489519662330_1167753067_n.jpg

Apparently the snake was around 5 foot.

Completely harmless bts. Your friend must be very brave.

Def. Brown Tree,

I am sure you will suggest to her that in future she either let any snakes be to go on their way or get a professional relocater out to remove them. You might also like to let your friend know that 5% of fatal snake bites over the past 40 years were caused by people trying to kill the snake…. just as well it was NOT a Taipan or we might be reading a news clipping instead.

Blue

People do these things out of ignorance and fear. It is easy to be critical when you are knowledgeable of such animals and don’t possess the inherent fear of snakes that is part of our cultural heritage. An emotive response to the needless death of a beautiful animal does not have to involve derision of the person responsible. Education rather than condemnation is what is required.

Blue

I wish everyone was educated :(
Should be taught in schools, how to recognise whats dangerous and whats not, and how to deal with them.
Poor brown tree snake... I had one in my courtyard the other night and i watched it for ages, it was magical.

While I don't agree with it, I understand the concept of killing it out of fear and ignorance. But was it really necessary to play with the poor thing, posing it like some kind of sick joke? Shame on your friend.
Poor little bugger.

The person taking the photos obviously wanted to capture as many salient features as they could. There is no other point to taking a shot of the ventrals and a close up of the head shields. My guess is that she wanted to make sure she had enough details to get a positive ID. In that respect you would have to say she did a very good job with the photography. I don't think the notion of "trophy" shots comes into it, otherwise there would be shots of her holding the thing, probably with the shovel. Hopefully she will not make the same mistake twice.

Blue

I am not knowedgeable of all wild animals in my area but I choose a different approach. I observe from a distance and try to photograph or remember as many features (if an unknown snake) or I get my "observation" tub out, capture the creature and identify it then release in the same spot in the yard, I record all the species I identify. I do believe the killing is more of a choice, an ingrained response to things we don't know or fear or think we fear because society says we should. I have managed to get my parents to make this choice too. Instead of screaming histerically my Mother now yells out for me to come take a look at what she has found. Both of them are more interested now in the species in the area, who is dangerous and who isn't. I have saved quite a few snakes in my time here.

I think the photo's would of been better if the yellow snake in pic 3 was chopped instead !!

Thats really sad, normally the ID's on here are awesome, I love seeing the wild(normally) ALIVE snakes or other reptiles and seeing what they are as well as seeing the pics of the reptile wanting to be ID'd.... It is a shame it was killed, my mum is petrified of snakes, it took her 20 years of my life for her to actually say yes. (I have loved snakes all my life). Anyway She would never harm a snake, she likes to see them away from her but still alive. It is a shame that some peoples fight instinct comes out and the poor animal that was minding its business or looking for some food is now dead.

So if killing out of hate and fear is ok, I have a thing against barking dogs and damned cats that live on the street but doesn't give me the right to kill them and there NOT protected species.... I think deduction needs to start in primary school .... I'm getting the ok from deccw to take mine in for show and tell to kindy for my daughter

what was the point of killing it even if it was venomous i wouldn't kill it, plus why would you take pictures of it and put it on facebook.... cruel :( people like them who are giving snakes a bad name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back