baha you're all going to laugh at me..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippii

Reaction score
So I decided to start handling Floyd today, my lil yorkie.. he bit my jacket sleeve quite a few times before quietly sitting in my lap flicking his tongue n looking around for a few minutes.. All was well.. Then I petted his tail gently, and chaos erupted. He instantly took off.. Under my jacket, under my shirt and under my singlet, around my side and settled against my lower back... How he managed to do that so quickly I'll never know. But now every time i move a little or start lifting my jacket to try and retrieve him, he hisses and darts around under there defensively! I know I shouldn't be such a chicken, considering I chose a snake as a pet.. But I've got to admit, as much as I love snakes, right now I am definitely 98% chicken :rolleyes:

I'm being held hostage by a small python.. This is definitely not one of my proudest moments -.- I guess eventually I'll just have to buck up get him out of there and take the bite if necessary lol I'm beginning to think he's not going to come out of his own accord.

Renae x

How long do you think you can sit there? That guy probs has more patience than you.
Interesting.............

He certainly does... My patience is very limited haha.. but my impatience is currently trumped by my fear of being tagged :D

It just might come to that!

lol I kid. I managed to convince him to come out eventually. i nudged at him gently through my jacket, praying he wouldnt get pissed and latch onto my back. After a little nudging, he decided he'd better hunt for a less disruptive place to relax, and ended up in my warm jacket sleeve. He calmed down quite a bit :) when I eventually went to put him back in his tub, he didn't want to go in! He kept stretching up n climbing up my arm to come back out. Guess my sleeve was a hit.

Renae x

Sounds like the perfect hide to me – dark, cosy and warm to boot. No wonder he did not want to come out. I’d act likewise (for slightly different reasons though). And what lessons did you learn from this?

Your fear of being bitten is quite natural. When it does happen, and it will, you will seriously wonder what all the fuss was about. Hatchlings in nature are on the menu of every carnivore and omnivore that is bigger than they are. Consequently they are very defensive in their behaviour when dragged out into the open. They do grow out of it.

Back to the lessons… Snakes do not like being touched on the tail and they react by moving forward to get away from it. Wear clothing your snake cannot escape into when you wish to handle it. The ideal hide for a snake is one that is close-fitting with very little room to spare.

Blue

i have a small coastal at home, and i've had her for a few years she still gets jumpy and does strike while i'm holding her etc. some days are better than others. i think as carpets get older they tend to get better... but you still have to maintain some form of interaction as they're growing up. when getting the snake out, you just have to go in, pick it up and pull it out. the longer you muck around in the cage the harder it is to get a snake out . . . (i found this out the hard way, being a big girl with Cleo haha)

hope my input helped, if anything i said was incorrect please correct me :)

haha in the pet store I got my coastal from, I was walking around with her in my pocket (she put herself in there) but then made the mistake of standing next to a lovely couple looking at some fish. Next thing she's erupted out of my pocket at such force I couldn't catch her fast enough....
those poor people weren't even aware that aquarium sold snakes.

guess they realised eventually

Thanks everyone! haha it was definitely an experience, a pretty amusing one.

When he did eventually come out and I got to handle him for a bit, I started to feel much more confident with him, and actually let him glide through my hands without having my jacket sleeves over them. He seemed much more relaxed when I showed a little more confidence handling him (stopped hesitating etc), it's like he could tell I was nervous beforehand and it put him on edge. I'm not sure how accurate that is, I know they're not like dogs, but it makes sense that they'd be able to sense things in the way you approach them and handle them.

Blue, I totally agree with everything you said. That's another reason I didn't want to just grab him and drag him out: I wanted our first handling experience to be as stress free as possible for Floyd as well. The only problem is, unless I feel like wearing a skin tight cat suit (That'd be an interesting look..), he's always going to be able to find a way into my clothes while he's this small. I'm less freaked out about that now though, he ended up hanging out in my sleeve for a while, and at that point I realised he wasn't really very scary at all! Also ta for letting me know snakes don't like having their tails touched, I'll keep that in mind next time..

The whole experience hasn't made me want to handle him any less, during the time he was hiding out back there I was actually quite amused lol it was just trying to coax him out that made me nervous. Next time I won't be.

Renae x

- - - Updated - - -

Baha Rissi, that's brilliant! What were their reactions like?

x

- - - Updated - - -

Baha Rissi, that's brilliant! What were their reactions like?

x

the usual: scream, clutch heart, scream again, ask why i want one, scream & quickly shuffle out of the door.

You kinda scared me when you said Floyd, I thought you said Flynn :lol: Until I looked closely...

….wearing a skin tight cat suit (That'd be an interesting look..)….
Hmmmm! Now that could definitely make for an attention grabbing avatar – cat suit and snake.

I didn’t mean for handling times to be reminiscent of a scene from Catwoman. Nor do you need to look like one of the Wiggles. Just a medium length jumper with form fitting wrists and waistband is all that is required. [The neck I leave to your discretion].

I am just amazed it didn’t tickle you insane. Would have done for me.

Anthony, I am certain your information was useful. I found it so.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back