Mulberry Leaves/Tree in Melbourne???...silkworms???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofoula88

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in Melbourne or anyone who has a mulberry tree and could help me out as I really wanna try feeding my beardies on silkies this season but the same thing happens every year,I don't have any damn mulberry leaves! Lol.. I don't want to many silkworms,maybe like 20 just to start so probably will only need about a weeks worth of leaves but have no idea where/if there are any mulberry trees around here..and I don't want to spend too much money trying to feed silkworms,which it would cost of I had to buy from a pet shop and also the leaves or chow... So if anyone knows anywhere in the Melbourne area or someone who has a tree please let me know
also need a silkworm supplier of anyone is breeding them and selling let me know

Give bunnings a shot, they sometimes have mulberry trees

Our Mulberry is only just starting to get new leaves on it now. If you have got the room you should buy one they are a good shade tree in summer & the berries are super yummy to eat!!

you can get silk worm chow online as a substitute if you dont have a tree.. or buy a half wine barrel and plant a mulberry tree... they are so tasty and you can sell the leaves. pet stock here in adelaide pet stock do small 100g bags of leaves for $4.00.. o_0

I have a mulberry tree too. Like clairmont said...mine is also only starting to get new leaves, but its a biggish tree. you are welcome to come and pick leaves off my tree if you are close to Sunbury

Thanks for the replies guys,def will look into getting a tree for the next season.. How big do they get? Cost? Etc

Sorry cant help with cost the tree was here when we moved in over 12 years ago. Ours is about 3/4 meters tall & about the same wide it is an old tree. Your more than welcome to come get some leaves in a few weeks when they get bigger if your ever in Cranbourne area!

we got ours as a standard and its about 2m high and about 1.5m round... they get a bit bigger but take time.. they fruit really really well and lose their leaves in winter. we have 2 and they are on quite a different cycle.. about 2 moths apart for some reason. the fruit is really good and you get alot but it does stain lol. our friends next door at our old place had one in their front garden that would have been 2.5 m wide and about the same high.. we as kids would use it as a cubby and eat the fruit in summer. lol

Haha.. Yeh I think the one most people have gets to about 3 metres.. If they eat mulberry leaves from all varieties I'll probably just get the one that grows to about that.. Yay silkworm food and berries..,should have done this last year so I'd have some now though =|

I recently bought a white mulberry tree from bunnings for about $25, white mulberries don't stain and the leaves are suitable for silkworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back